1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JMFS says no Tivo drive

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by jboy, Aug 13, 2011.

1. jboy

jboy New Member

Sep 25, 2003
    I have a Series 3 HD with a 1TB drive I expanded with WinMFS. I want to add more space and thought I could use the JMFS procedure defined in this post, http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=8309405#post8309405 . However, when I install the old drive and a new 2 TB drive, and boot from the JMFS CD is says there are no Tivo drives and it cannot proceed. Does anyone know what is wrong?

Thanks,

Jerry

2. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    JMFS does not work for the original S3(OLED display) model Tivo.

JMFS only works on the Premiere and the Tivo HD.

The original S3 oled can only be expanded to a maximum of about 1.25 TB and only using the WinMfs procedure.

(There supposedly may be some sort of method/image floating around that may work on the S3, but someone else will have to speak on that).

3. lrhorer

lrhorer New Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    MFS_Live can also handle the S3, and if the TiVo is hacked, even WinMFS can work with a 2T drive to get up to 2T of storage. If it is not hacked, DVR_Dude over on e-bay sells 2T drives for the S3, and also offers a transfer service from your old drive to one of his drives.

4. Teeps

Teeps Active Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...

This is good to know, thanks lrhorer

5. Teeps

Teeps Active Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    Placed an order for a 2TB drive from dvr_dude.
    Will post results of the swap ASAP.

6. Teeps

Teeps Active Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    Installed the 2TB hdd yesterday purchased from dvr_dude.
    TiVo Series 3 TCD648250B Hard Drive Upgrade 2TB WD AVGP

No problems encountered with installation.
    An instruction sheet was included, for first timers'.

So far; so good.

7. Hi8

Hi8 TiVoPro - wanabe!

Mar 6, 2002
    I was trying to build a replacement drive for my OLED S3 --

and jmfs kept returning 'No TiVo drives detected" - I tried this on 3 different computers, an Acer, HP, and a Dell -- still nothing.

I see in post #3 , it's stated that it doesn't work with my TiVo only Premiere ?

is that correct? I thought that the instructions I had read seem to indicate it should work.

And is it also true that WinMFS will work up to 2TB?(w/ OLED S3) This would be a prefered method for me.

8. dianebrat

dianebrat I refuse to accept your reality TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    JMFS will not work on an OLED S3.
    However this old thread doesn't mention that if you let your S3 update to 10.k, you can use WinMFS up to 2TB, the other threads have more details.