1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jets Dump Tebo

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Emacee, Apr 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Emacee

Emacee New Member

Dec 15, 2000
    Philadelphia...
    Tivo spokesjock Tim Tebow has been dumped by the New York Jets. No more genuflecting on the sideline. The Jets drafted another quarterback and immediately put Tebow on waivers. So far, no other team is expressing interest. How long will the Tebow-Tivo gig last?

2. gonzotek

gonzotek tivo_xml developer

Sep 24, 2004
    Outside...
    I'm guessing until his contract with TiVo runs out -- They just recently picked a new ad agency to 'revive the brand'. I asked about Tebow in the thread about that topic:
    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=503105

3. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    I'm sure that the Cowboys will pick him up. :)

4. malayphred

malayphred Underpowered User

Jan 29, 2007
    Las Vegas
  5. pteronaut

pteronaut Killer of Threads

Dec 26, 2009
    Well, the Montreal Allouettes do hold rights to him in the CFL...

6. MeInDallas

MeInDallas Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Dallas, Texas
    No way! Jerry Jones is smarter than that! :rolleyes:

(sarchastic remark)

7. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Active Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    Guys, this is a Tivo forum, not a Tebo forum.:rolleyes:

8. May 1, 2013 #8 of 65
    MJHoltorf

MJHoltorf New Member

Dec 23, 2001
    Rancho...
    At least his name still rhymes with Tivo.

So he's got that going for him.

9. Jun 8, 2013 #9 of 65

9300170 Member

Feb 20, 2003
    Tempe, AZ
    Hoping that TiVo sees the light and dumps that bigoted creep too.

10. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    Strange that people think he's a bigot. In what way?

11. zalusky

zalusky Active Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    Christian Football League ;)

12. hairyblue

hairyblue A good Man

Feb 25, 2002
    Denver, CO
    I think Tivo made a mistake by picking Tebow as a spokesman. Sure the name works well for Tivo, but a spokeman's views on people will be looked at.

I wasn't happy to have to look at his face on my Tivo.

13. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Active Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    From Merriam-Webster.
    Definition of BIGOT:
    "a person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance." ​
    Many would say his opinions of certain groups meets the above definition - I have no idea if he really is one or not but the fact that many people think he is makes him unacceptable as a commercial spokesman.

14. Loach

Loach New Member

Jan 11, 2013
    Omaha, NE
    Still haven't heard what these mysterious "opinions" are or who these nebulous "groups" are.

15. atmuscarella

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    I don't follow this stuff to close but you could try Catholics or Gay people to start, seems to be some issues with both, however what is fact versus perception or rumor is hard to figure out. I certainly don't know and wouldn't accuse anyone of being a bigot based on the little I know about it however others may have followed his statements and actions closer and feel the label is deserved. In any event the controversy is enough to make him a bad spokesperson for TiVo.

16. kdmorse

kdmorse Active Member

Jan 29, 2001
    Germantown, MD
    I really think he's been painted unfairly with a broad anti-gay, anti-catholic brush, just for being near people who espouse such beliefs.

He appeared at a series of benefits which amounted to something like "puppies for sick children", or something similarly good natured. It was however hosted by an organization that when not giving puppies to sick children, is also "Pro Family" (rabidly anti gay). This was right after the Chic-Filet business died down, and he got caught up in the "lets find people supporting organizations that are anti-gay" witchhunt.

Since then, any time he's been within 100 miles of an organization that isn't strongly pro-gay, it makes major (internet) news. Even when he cancels an appearance because the organization is anti-gay, he still gets painted as a bigot. I'm not aware of any actual evidence he himself has any gay opinion whatsoever. (*)

Similarly, his father is a bit of a religious loon, that rants against the entire christian faith (or catholic, I don't remember). And he's been painted with the same brush. Although again, I'm not sure he's ever expressed an opinion on the subject. (*)

* I could be wrong, but I've still not seen anything more concrete than guilt by association...

17. Loach

Loach New Member

Jan 11, 2013
    Omaha, NE
    If you don't follow this stuff that close then you shouldn't be chiming in with support for someone else's vague accusations.

I always thought he was an odd choice as a Tivo spokesman, but that's a far cry from calling him a bigot. IMO he was a good college QB that looked like a fish out of water as an NFL QB, and he seems like a pretty nice guy to me. I've never heard him (or seen him quoted) saying anything negative about anybody. But because he's a Christian who probably doesn't support gay marriage, he gets lumped in with Fred Phelps. Ridiculous. I guess anti-Christian bigotry is the only socially acceptable form of bigotry in this day and age.

18. atmuscarella

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    I think you need to re-read my posts, I didn't support anyone accusations, I answered a question. By the way accusing someone of being a bigot isn't vague. You or I may feel the justification for the accusation is vague, but the person making such an accusation is being very clear on what their perception of the person is.

19. Loach

Loach New Member

Jan 11, 2013
    Omaha, NE
    Accusing someone of bigotry without explaining why one thinks so is vague.

You certainly implied support for the vague accusation by answering a question with further vagueness about "certain groups". Then followed it up with references to his purported views about Catholics and gays, without offering any support. I don't find that particularly helpful. It serves to spread further potential misconceptions about the man.

20. bantar

bantar Member

Apr 27, 2004
    Hmmm. Tebow has unfavorable opinions on behaviors (of others) [your words, not mine] and he is branded a bigot. You have unfavorable opinions of Tebow. Yet, somehow, your opinions are valid, while his are bigoted???

And I'm just a poor confused Catholic boy that doesn't understand why this hatred of Tebow exists in the first place. Supposedly, I should know this [again, your words].

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.