1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jerky playback during transfer

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by David Knowles, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Apr 5, 2012 #1 of 11
    David Knowles

David Knowles Member

Apr 8, 2005
    I have a TiVO Premier XL which has been working OK since I got it.

I just got a new Windows 7 PC.

After converting a video on the PC, TiVO desktop is set to automatically transfer it to the TiVO.

With my old XP system, this worked well.

With the new Win 7 system, whenever a program is transferring, I notice a very slight jerkiness while watching a Tivo-recorded program. Everything works fine and the jerkiness is very slight, but is noticeable.

Any suggestions?

2. Apr 5, 2012 #2 of 11
    L David Matheny

L David Matheny Active Member

Jan 29, 2011
    SE Ohio
    Could you throttle the bandwidth a bit in your computer or your router? It would at least be an interesting test.

3. Apr 6, 2012 #3 of 11
    David Knowles

David Knowles Member

Apr 8, 2005
    How would I test this?

4. Apr 7, 2012 #4 of 11
    Charles R

Charles R New Member

Nov 9, 2000
    Indianapolis
    I noticed the same after I upgraded my switch... which performs much better (faster) than the previous one. Cure wise throttling somewhere would appear to be the only solution. On some switches/routers you can restrict bandwidth per port.

5. Apr 7, 2012 #5 of 11
    David Knowles

David Knowles Member

Apr 8, 2005
    I have a Dlink DIR-632 wireless router. The Tivo is connected to the wired network.

Would this be in the router settings page?

6. Apr 7, 2012 #6 of 11
    wackymann

wackymann Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Boston Area
    I have the same issue with pyTivo on my Premiere Elite. Hopefully this will be fixed at some point.

7. Apr 7, 2012 #7 of 11
    crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    This has nothing to do with "MS-Windows".
    This has nothing to do with The "Elite".
    This has nothing to do with "TiVo Desktop"

When you have a good network setup that can feed a Premiere at full speed, in 20.2, people have noticed that playback can be a bit jittery during a high-speed network transfer.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=481338 # 3.2.7

It is likely your newer computer is finally able to keep up with pushing a full 100-base speed and that is why you are now encountering the issue that was already there.

8. Apr 8, 2012 #8 of 11
    David Knowles

David Knowles Member

Apr 8, 2005
    I searched for how to change the speed the network card worked, and I changed the speed to 10MBs Full Duplex and the issue seemed to have gone away.

Will this make much difference in other network work?

One Premier problem solved, one more to go...

This is what I did:

Vista like 7 you should see icon for network near the clock in the system tray? Do you see such an icon. If yes!

Then right click then open network and sharing center
    Once you do that you should see to your right Change Adapter Settings. Do you see this link? If you do click on it and then right click on your network adapter. Click on properties Click on Configure, click on Advance, scroll down to Speed & Duplex this name may vary with different nics. Now change the speed from Auto to 1000 it might be 1.0GBps same. Also if you see TCP Offload make sure those are set to Enable.

9. Apr 8, 2012 #9 of 11
    crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    It went away because you slowed the network down by 10 fold :)

Oh yes. Your network transfers will be anywhere from 500 to 800% slower. It won't make much difference, otherwise, however.

10. L David Matheny

L David Matheny Active Member

Jan 29, 2011
    SE Ohio
    Well, that is an interesting data point. You probably now know more about this problem than I do, but I will make a few comments: Going to 10Mb speeds is a drastic cure. Some routers (probably more expensive models) and some third-party firmware for certain routers can do more selective throttling. And some ways of connecting your TiVo would provide inherent throttling (IOW, a bottleneck). I connect my main computer using (older) Panasonic powerline adapters that max out at about 30Mb, and wireless-G maxes out at 54Mb (or less, allowing for overhead). A well-chosen bottleneck might slow your TiVo down just enough without crippling the rest of your network. Some routers also have Quality of Service settings that might be helpful, but I've never used any of those. Actually, I doubt that those would help in this case. I guess the preferred cure would be for TiVo to include some judicious throttling within their software.

11. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010