1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I've Been Watching Too Much TiVo!

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by waynomo, Jul 12, 2013.

1. waynomo

waynomo My One Time TCF Club

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    So I was just sitting in my den in the midst of a thunderstorm watching TiVo with my TiVo remote in my hand like I usually do. A particularly loud and close boom just occurred. My immediate reaction was to hit the 7 second rewind button so I could catch the flash of lightning to compute how far away the strike was!

Has anything like this ever happened to anybody else while watching TiVo?

2. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Listening to the radio often times I miss something that sounds interesting and I instinctively reach out to press a non-existent skip back button.

3. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    One of the nice features of the XM Skyfi2 is a rewind. :)

Scott

4. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    In my opinion everything should have an 8 sec instant replay.

5. ggieseke

ggieseke Active Member

May 30, 2008
    I had to quit listening to the radio in my car for that very reason. :)

I bought my first TiVo in Dec 2000, the second one a month later, and haven't watched live TV since except for a few cases like 9/11 or when hurricane Ike was bearing down on me. I still watch the news sometimes, but not until Ithere's enough in the buffer that I can FF through the repetitive weather reports and traffic.

6. waynomo

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    Kind of like the Omega 13 in Galaxy Quest!

7. Worf

Worf Active Member

Sep 15, 2000
    Agreed. I don't know why more things don't.

Especially useful when watching movies and such. The need to skip back 8 seconds is far more useful than actually needing to seek, I find...

8. tenthplanet

tenthplanet Member

Mar 5, 2004
    More than a few times I've gone to pause the Apple TV and hit pause on the peanut remote. I have the Tivo remote controlling the volume of the receiver so it's always nearby. It just goes to show you TV=TIVO more or less. :D

9. HerronScott

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Oh yes and the Sony DVD and BluRay players that we own have a 10 second instant replay that works the same way.

Scott

10. replaytv

replaytv gun talk ignore list

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
    amen brudder

11. waynomo

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    I've had those instances with the radio in the car or on another non-TiVo TV where I thought about rewinding, but this was the first time I was thinking about rewinding "real life."

12. replaytv

replaytv gun talk ignore list

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
    I just bought a brand new Honda Fit and am disappointed that it doesn't have a 15 sec' rewind so I can listen to that news comment again.

13. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Quad Sillies
    Which models? I have the BDP-S3100, and I don't see that feature on the remote or listed in the manual.

14. HerronScott

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    DVP-NS725P (DVD player) and BDP-S350 (Blu-Ray). Buttons on the remotes were labeled Instant Replay and Instant Search on the DVD player and Replay and Advance on the Blu-Ray player.

Looks like they dropped the buttons on the BDP-S3100 remote but the codes still work and you can either use an older Sony remote or a universal remote that can be programmed with the code.

Below is from a post on AVSForum.com:

"I recently bought an S3100, and I really miss the Replay button I had on my old DVD player's remote. I'm thinking about buying one of the older remotes off ebay just to get that button, although it might not be worth it to me if it doesn't work with Internet content. Instead of the RMT-B102A remote (the one you have that came with the BDP-S350 series), I'd probably get the RMT-B107A (which came with the BDP-S370 series) since it's newest model that still has the Replay button.

These functions can easily be added to many universals. No need to buy and old Sony remote."

Scott

15. Bierboy

Jun 12, 2004
    Quad Sillies
    I use a Harmony One so I'll have to dig around to see if I can find those codes....thanks!

16. Bierboy

Jun 12, 2004
    Quad Sillies
    No luck....searched the Harmony database for those codes for my 3100 and couldn't find them. Only way I could add it is to have the remote that had those functions and "teach" it to Logitech the software so I could transfer it to my One....

17. nrnoble

nrnoble Member

Aug 25, 2004
    When ever I go someone else's home, it just seem strange not to be able to skip past the commercials. Even during sporting events, I watch games on 20 minute delay so I can skip past commercials.

18. HerronScott

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Looks for a cheap used older Sony remote on eBay?

Scott