1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

It's 2014. Can we buy Cablecards yet?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by plazman30, Jul 17, 2014.

1. plazman30

plazman30 Member

Jan 22, 2005
    I'm renting 2 cablecards from Verizon at $4.99/each. I just want to buy the thing and be done with it.

2. jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    Why would they want to do that? They have to support it and it generates revenue far in excess of its cost at retail.

3. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    You can purchase your own modem and save a monthly charge, you can't purchase a cable card (or the cable co.s cable box) on most MSO because of security and head end issues.

4. trip1eX

trip1eX Active Member

Apr 2, 2005
    I wish.

5. tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Active Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    Only 2 companies manufacture CableCards (Cisco and Motorola) so your cable company can just tell you which one you need to buy for your service address. And I really don't see what security issues there would really be. A CableCard is probably less hackable than a cable modem, and you can buy those at retail and use them on the cable companies networks.

6. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    Most cable co have an inventory system of their equipment, they don't want the expense of adding new numbers, although Cable Card are not two way the MSO does know when you have one in the system as they can get feedback from each cable card, I know this because of a problem I puled the CC out of my TiVo and the person on the phone told me I just removed the CC from their system, they also knew when I put it back into the TiVo.

How would one hack a modem as it is on or off, a cable card is off but never just on, its activated with just the ch you are paying to receive, modems can be activated without a phone call (at least with Comcast CT).

7. tarheelblue32

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    And CableCards can be paired without a phone call (at least on FiOS). I really don't see much of a difference between the 2.

8. jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    Modems need replacing from time to time, so their pricing folks probably modeled that out somehow to allow for user ownership (and how many actually do this? I'm the only one I know). Cablecards are hardly touched. Once paid for, they are a small cash register.

9. tarheelblue32

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    The FCC should have regulations that require cable companies to allow users to buy their own modems and CableCards just like the regs they have to allow users to purchase their own set-top boxes at retail.

10. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    The purpose of CableCARDs is to allow you to buy your own STB at retail. The FCC imposes price limits on the monthly rental cost of a CC. ($3 max I believe)

However both MSOs and CE makers have come to the conclusion that CCs are a PITA so the successor will likely be a downloadable security system with no monthly fee at all. The big question is whether there will be an industry standard or if each MSO will use it's own system making it so devices have to be MSO specific or spend extra R&D to make their products universal.

11. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    What cable set top boxes can you purchase that don't require a Cable Card and activation??

12. tarheelblue32

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    Um, none. I never said there were. All cable set-top boxes have CableCards in them that require activation, whether MSO rented or purchased at retail. That is the universal security standard for cable boxes in this country.

13. vurbano

vurbano New Member

Apr 20, 2004
    DITTO:up:

Soon I bet Verizon, Comcast, Cox etc demands to enter our homes to see how many minis we have so they can multiply or cable card charge "appropriately". Greedy SOBs.

14. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    You apparently didn't read the original post, where the person is being charged $4.99/cablecard.

Others have quoted the FCC documents, and IIRC it says they can charge a "reasonable" amount.

You also _may_ get a "customer owned equipment" credit, if you have your own DVR, and your plan would normally have a "free" (included) DVR.

I wish you could own it too.. and in the past (someone did mention 'most' cable companies in this thread) there was someone who posted here that HAD to buy their cable cards, at IIRC something like $150 each.

15. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Yeah some small cable companies make you buy them. I thought there was an actual max price, not just "reasonable". Although cable companies get around that by charging "outlet fees" and the like.

16. modnar

modnar Active Member

Oct 15, 2000
    Arkansas, USA
    Yes, my cable company requires you to buy the card for $70. I'd much rather rent one because if something does happen to the card, you have to pay to replace it.

17. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    At $7.45/month I would take that 9 month chance, once activated I have never had one go bad, I have had some that could not be activated over the phone, needed a tech to come out. My cable cards are about 4 to 5 years old, $70 would have been a great deal in place of $7.45/month. (Comcast CT)

18. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I did have a CableCARD go bad once after several years of use, so it is possible. Also you're at the mercy of the cable co when it comes to firmware updates so if they update the firmware and it messes something up it doesn't matter if you own or rent it's still on you.

That being said my cable company only charges $2.50/mo so it's really not a big deal. The payback on buying one for $70 would be almost 2.5 years. But if they were charging $8/mo I might think differently.

19. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    I agree, it cost per month and the cost of the cable card, if you could purchase a cable card for $25 I am sure you would do it to save $2.5/month.