1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iTiVo (TiVo -> mac -> iPhone)

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by Yoav, Nov 6, 2008.

1. Nov 6, 2008 #1 of 741
    Yoav

Yoav New Member

Jan 12, 2007
    (turning this into the main questions forum page)

iTiVo 1.7.6 is now available.

iTiVo is a simple user interface for those who wish to download shows from their TiVo onto their Mac.

Easy to run. Easy to install.

Features include:
    • 'subscriptions' to your regular shows: downloading them whenever new episodes are available.
    • Perform an 'iTunes sync' to your phone when the download is completed.
    • Automatically remove commercials from downloaded shows.
    • Generate metadata appropriate for use by tools such as pyTivo.
    • Create subtitle files (.srt) from the closed caption info.
    • Output formats include h.264, mpeg-2, mpeg-1, decrypt-only.
    • Target formats include iPhone, iPod, AppleTV, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, PSP, youtube.
    • Support for different encoders, including HandBrake, Mencoder, FFmpeg, ElGato H.264 Turbo.
    • Full advanced controls over encoder options.
    • A download queue for batch processing.
    • Automatic discovery of Tivos using Bonjour.
    • Automatic updates.
    • Reporting on tivo's Hard Drive usage.
    You can read up more about it on the homepage (http://code.google.com/p/itivo/) , as well as download it.

It's completely free (GPLv3). And the source code is available on the website.

This is the place to ask questions that are not answered in the FAQ.

2. Nov 6, 2008 #2 of 741
    fatespawn

fatespawn New Member

Oct 14, 2007
    Chicagoish, IL
    with mpeg-2 native selected, the commercial skip button is grayed out.

3. Nov 6, 2008 #3 of 741
    Yoav

Yoav New Member

Jan 12, 2007
    This is 'as intended'. mpeg-2 native does no conversion of the file.. IT simply reads it off the network and decrypts it inline. This pretty much is a 'as fast as you can download it'. In order to remove commercials, the file has to be processed and re-encoded. Since mpeg-2 native doesn't re-encode, it can't remove commercials.

If you want an mpeg-2 stream without commercials, select one of the DVD mpeg-2 formats, which do re-encode.

4. Nov 6, 2008 #4 of 741
    ding

ding New Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Comskip working good here. My life is almost complete.

5. Nov 7, 2008 #5 of 741
    Yoav

Yoav New Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Ok, just a warning though, comskip has been making really BAD mistakes for low-quality shows (I mean bitrate). So I recommend not using it on those or at least checking the results before using... med-quality to HD has been working fine I think.

6. Nov 7, 2008 #6 of 741
    ding

ding New Member

Feb 16, 2006
    I have a single tuner s2 with an hard drive upgrade so I record everything in high quality SD and it has worked fine for my tests. I have also tested some med-quality clips with success. It might clip a few frames here and there but nothing too annoying.

7. Nov 7, 2008 #7 of 741
    bohbot16

bohbot16 New Member

Sep 21, 2008
    Katonah, NY
    Yoav,
    Thanks so much for the updates! Unfortunately, your solution only works for SD content, not HD mpeg2. It would be great to have an option that would download the mpeg2, then strip the commercials and output mpeg2 that is the same resolution as the source.

8. Nov 7, 2008 #8 of 741
    Yoav

Yoav New Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Ok shouldn't be too hard to add that. (Although it will have to be forced to a resolution (either 1920x1080 or 1200x720). In the meanwhile you can make edits to:

/Applications/iTiVo.app/Contents/Resources/re-encoder.pl

using any text editor. Then change DVD NTS to whatever resolution you want (in the scale option).

I plan on adding support for a user-configurable encoding options thing. Hopefully that will solve the many "can you add this mode..." queries..

9. Nov 7, 2008 #9 of 741
    Yoav

Yoav New Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Updated to reflect release 1.3.2
    (an emergency bugfix release)
    There was a pretty nasty bug that caused downloads to loop forever if comskip wasn't selected.

10. Nov 11, 2008 #10 of 741
    thenightfly42

thenightfly42 SeƱor Senior, Jr.

Mar 5, 2002
    Connecticut
    Yoav: thank you for picking up this code and making it work on 10.5. I greatly appreciate it.

11. Nov 11, 2008 #11 of 741
    LHMPDX

LHMPDX New Member

Mar 16, 2000
    First, and most important, a huge thank you for your work on iTiVo. You should have a donation button somewhere.

Also, can you add an audio only conversion, either MP3 or AAC? For many shows, the audio is enough. This saves space and battery life on the iPhone.

Thanks again.

12. Nov 11, 2008 #12 of 741
    Yoav

Yoav New Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Sure...
    (if you have any ideas on what the flags should be, download the beta and specify the flags under advanced prefs.. Otherwise, I'll try some things myself here and hopefully figure it out).

13. Nov 11, 2008 #13 of 741
    Yoav

Yoav New Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Ok check out version 1.4b4. Tell me if it's what you need...

14. Nov 12, 2008 #14 of 741
    LHMPDX

LHMPDX New Member

Mar 16, 2000
    I could only test it a bit this morning, but it seems to work well. I got a much smaller file as an mp3 than for the iPhone, and it sounds fine in iTunes.

When imported into iTunes, an hour show is listed as 3:25:35. When listening on the iPhone, it ends at the one hour mark, so no big deal. This is not a problem at all for me.

I'll test some more in the next day or so.

Thanks again for a great product!!

15. Nov 12, 2008 #15 of 741
    Yoav

Yoav New Member

Jan 12, 2007
    1.4 is out.

Check for updates in the program, or download it from the webpage.

(yes, I'll probably slow down code on this soon.. but right now I got too much spare time on my hands :)

16. Nov 16, 2008 #16 of 741
    hdfatboy2003@mac

hdfatboy2003@mac New Member

Nov 10, 2008
    I'll recap my problem from another thread and add an update here ...
    "I've tried four times now to tansfer a movie\tv show and none of the will open in Quick Time, Final Cut Pro, etc. The last two errors were "The movie could not be opened. An invalid sample description was found in the movie".

I have plenty of free drive space. The setting are AppleTV, no comskip, the TV Show shows up as HD in the selection window, but it's off of the Comedy Channel (at best it's digital not HD). I tried iTivo 1.4 and the latest beta. I'm running Leopard 10.5.5.

Any idea what's going wrong? My ultimate goal is to take some of the shows off of my TivoHD (9.4) and move them over to my AppleTV for storage and longterm watching."

Update: If I select "iPhone" in preferences as the download format it encodes successfully, but "AppleTV" as the format is not successful an returns the error noted above. Is there something wrong with the AppleTV settings?

17. Nov 16, 2008 #17 of 741
    Yoav

Yoav New Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Multi-part answer (keep in mind I don't have an appletv to test with).

AppleTV setting does a bit-copy of the audio stream. From HD content that's entirely playable in quicktime, but from regular content quicktime doesn't know what to do.
    I'll have it re-encode all audio to faac 5.1 irrelevant of the source I suppose.

Soemthing to keep in mind though. for regular TV you probably don't want to use AppleTV as your setting, since that tries to keep data at 1200x720 (which is bigger than your source)

18. Nov 16, 2008 #18 of 741
    Yoav

Yoav New Member

Jan 12, 2007
    try the 1.5b2 see if it fixes your problem though.
    Don't forget to change download format first to reset the settings (and then change back).

19. Nov 16, 2008 #19 of 741
    gbrown

gbrown New Member

Oct 31, 2006
    I just updated from 1.2.1 to 1.4.
    It will not connect to my TiVo.
    I know the IP and MAC are correct because I can cut and paste into https://IP. Also the "Now Playing" widget works.

Any ideas?

20. Nov 16, 2008 #20 of 741
    Fofer

Fofer XenForo Rocks! TCF Club

Oct 29, 2000
    I'd like to request that iTiVo get some of the super cool "free space" calculations that TiVoPlaylist has:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=293241
    http://bellsouthpwp.net/d/c/dcahoe/tivo/index.htm?

(It also lets you use List View or Folder View. And there's a neat pie graph to be able to visualize storage space used.)

But it's for Windows only.

I've tried to install it on my Mac using CodeWeavers Crossover with no success. If this capability were to be included with iTiVo, it would be even more fantastic. :)