1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Isn't this depressing...

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by pauly, Jun 6, 2014.

1. pauly

pauly New Member

Jan 13, 2003
    Birmingham,...
    Old Tivos slowly disappearing out of existence.

I've used a few PVRs now, and still nothing even comes close to my old Series 1. YouView even with 2 or 3 tuners and all these capabilities, the experience is just horrible and nothing works like it should, Tivo was just perfect. I had high hopes for the virgin tivo but thats even more painful to use it is just... depressing :(

2. spitfires

spitfires wassock

Dec 19, 2006
    South Coast, UK
    Yes it's sad :( It was HD that did it; in the clamour for sharper-than-life bigger-than-elephant tv, poor wee Series 1 got left behind. "Never mind the usability, just look at the size of that picture"! Personally I have no desire for HD (too sharp) or 40" screen (too big) so I'll stick with my S1. :up:

3. pauly

pauly New Member

Jan 13, 2003
    Birmingham,...
    You have mode 0 anyway which is halfway there anyway.

4. beastman

beastman New Member

May 25, 2002
    I'm not up to speed with how bad the Virgin Tivo is nowadays (I've not used it). I imagine its better now with various addons and tweaks since release? Also I realise that we all we want a freeview based UK Tivo with the option to add cable/sky but what is the consensus opinion on why the Virgin Tivo is so bad? I mean it has wish lists and the peanut etc. Is it really that bad and why?

5. pauly

pauly New Member

Jan 13, 2003
    Birmingham,...
    I just found it slow and cumbersome to use. And unintuitive. Prefer the Series 1 EPG, to me it was not far off perfect (removing filtered channels instead of greying out would have be my only nitpick). I haven't spent that long on it (never had the option to get one) though so maybe im being harsh.

6. mikerr

mikerr TiVoCentral.co.uk

Jun 2, 2005
    Up North
    The VM TiVo has got much better and faster since release - especially since one software update turned on the second processor core..!

3 Tuners and HD - what's not to like ? :D

It's let down by the fact that you can't deselect unwanted channels at all
    (like channels I receive on S1 TiVo)

- this completely destroys the functionailty of many Wishlists, a keyword wishlist will grab millions of cartoons etc...
    while the wishlist system is more advanced, you can add multiple exceptions, and combinations - it still gets swamped because of the above lacking feature.

That said, I spend alot of time on netflix these days (also on the VM tivo)

7. 6022tivo

6022tivo A Happy Member

Oct 29, 2002
    North West, UK
    Sad times...

I sold my network cards and had a standard Tivo in the car for the tip recently.

As I was unloading all my stuff at the tip due to a house move. I looked and tivo and kept him in the car....

I just could not do it...

IMO HD killed it off for me..

With regards to functionality, nothing gets close.

It was a life changing experience..

Thanks mytivo.co.uk