1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is TiVo's Website an indication of the future of TiVo?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by megory, Apr 21, 2013.

1. megory

megory Advanced TiVoOligan

Jan 22, 2003
    BH, South...
    I just went to look at my account. It took a long, long time to load after sign-in and accessing my account. A few minutes later, I returned to tivo.com and again, it took forever to let me in to my account. Very frustrating.

When I got on the site, they came up with a survey request about their website. I was primed to tell them about the lengthy loading. Sadly, that site still hasn't loaded, just keeps spinning. So, I came here to complain.

Can a technology company that lacks the ability to have an up-to-the-minute technologically advanced website have a future? Or is it part of a downward spiral?

I love me my TiVos, but that's because ten years ago, TiVo was leading edge of this technology, but they seem to have been lost for the past several years. And they don't seem to be going anywhere but more pricey. Or is it just me?

2. SullyND

SullyND L:45-21 TCF Club

Dec 30, 2004
    Chicago Burbs
    Sounds like you have a computer and/or browser problem. TiVo shouldn't have to fix your computer for you. The website loads fine for me.

3. farmermac

farmermac Recorder of shows

Jan 31, 2012
    I've never had a speed issue on their site. TiVo has so many dvr patents they can't really go out of business :)

I know there's not another dvr that's any better then my TiVo.

4. dianebrat

dianebrat I refuse to accept your reality TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    In almost all cases I've seen, the "survey" is shelled to an outside company/website

5. Bigg

Bigg Active Member

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    Their website has serious issues. I tried to order online from them, and it failed several times, ended up making duplicate accounts in the process, and I had to straighten it out over the phone.

6. shadowplay0918

shadowplay0918 Member

May 16, 2011
    Something is off with their site, couldn't get on 5 minutes ago but can now..

7. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    Yea, no other website has ever had technological issues before. Tivo is dead!

8. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    I have Comcast Blast and a I7 computer with download speeds that I can measure at over 50Mb/sec with the peak up to 100Mb/sec and the TiVo web sight is SLOW, most web sights load so fast that I never think about how long it takes including this one, but go to TiVo.com and it takes 20 or so sec. to load, (just tried the sight now and it took 24 sec to load, 9 sec more to go to my DVR preferences). TiVo may just want to save money on the web sight servicers, but when I go the their sight in one tab I then go to the NYT tab and read the news as TiVo tries to load.

9. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    It took 3 seconds for the site to load for me and I just have Comcast's normal internet, nothing special.

10. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    I just tried the site loaded very fast until I logged in then everything slowed down. Logged back out and it sped up again.

11. waterchange

waterchange Member

Jun 29, 2010
    I always thought the Tivo website was slow. Just clicking the 'sign in' button and counting off in my head, it takes 3 to 5 seconds to load. Same for being on any tab and then clicking on the "My Tivo" tab. Not horrible but slower than it should be to make it noticeable to me.

12. shadowplay0918

shadowplay0918 Member

May 16, 2011
    No, it was down when I 1st tried to log in the slow when I did get in (I know the difference :)).

That being said I agree with others who say it says very little (if anything) about Tivo as a company...

13. Davisadm

Davisadm TiVo is awesome!!!!!

Jan 18, 2008
    SoCal
    TiVo's web site is fast as ever for me.

14. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    I just looked at their site and it seems to work fine today.

Sounds like that you may have encountered a connectivity issue. That issue could have several possible causes between your ISP and TiVo's hosting servers.

Either way, it happens from time to time, even to the best sites.

I do not think it is at all representative of "...the future of TiVo"

15. SeaFractor

SeaFractor New Member

Apr 16, 2013
    It's not an indication of the future of Tivo. It's instead a super amazing demonstration of running their website from a Tivo Premiere. The lag is due to the second core not being used correctly with this version of the Web Server software.

When they run the site off a series 5, it'll be so much faster.

:D

16. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    The word is SITE, not SIGHT, in this context.

Yes, it makes me want to doubt everything else you say.

17. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I've always had speed issues from the TiVo.com site when logging in. Whether from FiOS, Comcast, at work, T-Mobile, Verizon wireless, Verizon DSL, or any WiFi Hotspot. From numerous devices and PC's. It has always been very slow for me when logging in.

18. Bigg

Bigg Active Member

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    But the Series 5 is coming in the fall (of what year?), and then it will take 2 more years to move the website over, so we shouldn't complain just yet. ;)

19. dmbpj

dmbpj New Member

Dec 29, 2008
    What a ****ing joke the TiVo.com website is. I think I am done with TiVo for good.

20. dmbpj

dmbpj New Member

Dec 29, 2008
    The site couldn't run slower