1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Tivo's standby mode useful?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by scandia101, Aug 18, 2013.

1. Yes

18 vote(s)
    31.6%
  2. No

39 vote(s)
    68.4%
  1. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...

This is not about whether or not you use it, it's whether or not you think it is useful even though you may not necessarily need it yourself.

2. nooneuknow

nooneuknow TiVo User Since 2007

Feb 5, 2011
    Cox Cable...
  3. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    No it's not. It was back in the old days when it acted similar to the TV/VCR button and passed through the cable signal. But on new TiVos it does nothing more then turn off the lights. I guess maybe if you had one in a bedroom and the lights bothered you it might be useful, but for me it has no use at all.

4. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Near...
    But ... as posted numerous times in the other, almost identical, poll thread started by the same forum member:
    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=507509
    Standby does prevent EAS messages from interrupting recordings. It's an unintended consequence of standby mode but is significant for many of us who are forced to use Tuning Adapters.

Why we need both of these poll threads is a mystery to me. :confused:

5. GoHokies!

GoHokies! O2->CO2 Converter

Sep 21, 2005
    KFME
    Because they ask two different questions?

This isn't rocket surgery.

6. nooneuknow

Feb 5, 2011
    Cox Cable...
    I don't get the simultaneous poll thing either. I think it's out of spite, towards me. :confused:

The EAS issue resolution is no accident, nor is it unintended. EAS messages are NOT required to be processed, as long as the device is in a state where there is no A/V output at the time of the EAS activation. If you look at the TiVo logs, it clearly states that it updates the state of the cablecard when going into standby, as well as when coming out of it. That status update lets the card know if it needs to pass the EAS through, or just ignore it.

It's all published in the regs. I recall several links to the FCC documents, as well as links to CableLabs documents, regarding this. I did read them. It was too long ago for me to know what links I could refer you to, so you could see for yourself. Sorry.

7. scandia101

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    We don't "need" any poll just like your response is not "needed" and this response from me is not "needed"

The questions may be related but are far from "almost identical." Not using it has nothing to do with a person's idea of it's usefulness. Take me for example, I don't use standby at all, does that automatically mean I don't think it's useful? No, it doesn't. I do understand that others find it useful, if for nothing else, the EAS issue.

8. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I didn't know about the EAS thing. Here's a question... If a TiVo is in Standby mode can you still access it from a Mini or iPad via Stream? If yes does that wake it up?

9. nooneuknow

Feb 5, 2011
    Cox Cable...
    Yes, full access, and most likely slightly faster.

No, it won't wake it up. Only the remote for the unit can wake it.

Even when a software update rolls, my TiVos will update, then return to standby, if that's the mode they were in at the time the update downloaded and then rebooted it at the 2AM automatic boot/update time.

10. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Hmmm... I have a TiVo up stairs that I rarely use directly. I should put it into SB mode to prevent the EAS messages from breaking into my recordings.

11. nooneuknow

Feb 5, 2011
    Cox Cable...
    Yep, that's the #1 reason people who use it, use it. Especially on a TiVo that isn't actively accessed directly in the room it is in (or if you have a TiVo stack and only actively use one).

I guess you may have voted differently if you knew what you know now, before posting this:

I'm not trying to beat the subject to death. It's just a fact that many TiVo owners don't know all the facts. You won't find them in the manual, either (TiVo's mistake).

12. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Near...
    I stand corrected. Thanks, and that does make sense too. (If the TiVo is in standby you can't be watching TV so there's no point in having the EAS.)

I was thinking of the unintended consequences of EAS (when not in standby) for some of us that cause a lot of irritation:
    1. Get the interruption, but not the EAS message (about 90% of the time for me).
    2. Switches the tuner to a random channel (mostly C-SPAN2 for me) or to just a blank screen with no audio.
    3. About 25% of the time, after an EAS, I lose some or all SDV channels and have to power-cycle the TA and restart the TiVo to regain them.

13. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Near...
    OK, perhaps "need" was a questionable word choice. Let me re-state my point to: I don't see why we would want two such similar polls.

Saying that a person's idea of something's usefulness has nothing to do with whether they use it defies common sense, doesn't it?

14. scandia101

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    "we" ??? for whom are you speaking? If you have no interest, move on.

Are you saying that if I think something is useful, I must therefore use it?

Something does not (or at least it shouldn't) have to benefit you for you to acknowledge that it is useful.

15. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    In the premiere, I am not entirely sure what it does, to be honest. On the Series 1, I knew i could pass through the cable TV signal to a TV. But I didn't use it that way. I used a splitter to split the cable to go to TiVo and TV. Now, I have the cable going to the TiVo Premier and a cable box. If both tuners are in use and I want to see some third thing LIVE, then I just use the cable box. Nothing actually connects to the TV's antenna port.

16. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Active Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Pretty much everything is "useful" to someone.

Hitler thought it was "useful" to murder millions of Jews and Osama bin Laden thought it was "useful" to blow up the Twin Towers. So by this poles restrictions I would have to say both of those thing were useful?? :thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

This whole thing is a fall :thumbsdown: and a waist of time.

17. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    You have a few drinks with dinner tonight?

18. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I voted yes. I think that it is useful strictly because of the EAS. Since when in standby it won't affect the recording. And some areas test the EAS often and during Prime time for some reason. Fortunately I have only run into this two or three times over the years so I don't use standby. And I like saving power but the power savings from putting the TiVo in standby are very low. I guess when the S5 boxes come out they should use even less power so there will be even smaller power savings from using standby. Of course there is nothing wrong with using standby. Some people use it and some don't.

19. scandia101

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...

Your fail attempt failed. Your pole is also a fail.

20. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Near...
    Nope, never said that. Read again, comprehend ... rinse and repeat.

Actually I had not realized that standby could be used to prevent EAS interrupts until I saw it in one of your (very similar) threads. But I still probably won't use standby because, for personal reasons, it isn't convenient. Thus this is an example of something that is useful, but won't be used. So see I don't disagree with you on that point (just on whether having two poll threads is "useful" :D).