1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is TiVo hacking dead?

Discussion in 'TiVo Underground' started by Saturn, Apr 18, 2017 at 10:40 PM.

1. Saturn

Saturn Lord of the Rings

Apr 10, 2001
    Is TiVo hacking dead? I fondly remember poking around with my S1 getting it to do PPP over serial. The S2 was a little trickier, requiring a particular software version and hacked kernel, but still possible. The S3 was a PITA, requiring a modded EEPROM (BIOS?). I modded one of mine so I could hack around the idiotic "do not copy bit" that Time Warner set on every single channel.

Now I've got a TiVo Mini (and a Bolt on the way) and it would be really nice if I could get SSH access to it so I could bridge the Ethernet and MoCa ports and use it as a MoCa bridge, but I don't see that happening.

I never quite understood the Linux community's severe negative reaction to TiVo, but I'm starting to...

2. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    I'm pretty sure that the Bolt has bridging capability built-in. As do the Roamio Plus and Pro.

3. Saturn

Saturn Lord of the Rings

Apr 10, 2001
    Yea, they do, which means it was probably a conscious decision on the part of TiVo to disable it for the Mini. Which also means it is probably about 4 lines of bash script away from being enabled. That way I could use the Mini as a bridge for the TV and/or game consoles near the Mini.

That said, I have 4 MoCa bridges in use already - two Netgear, two MI424s, and a couple more sitting in a box. So I don't NEED to do this hack, but it irks me that can't. :)

4. Wil

Wil Senile Member

Sep 26, 2002
    The Tivo was so unique that a large band of hackers was originally attracted. Of course we got lucky with the unique tridge, on whose work so many built. These hackers essentially defined what Tivo and its copiers became.

Simultaneously to virtually all the old hackers losing interest and moving on, Tivo (post-original series 3 and model HD) made hacking lots tougher. There are few benefits to hacking anymore since most of the old hacks are now built in, so new hackers are not highly motivated to take up the craft. There are other solutions to the cci problem.

5. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    More likely they just didn't add the capability.

May I ask why you have so many isolated Ethernet networks?

6. Saturn

Saturn Lord of the Rings

Apr 10, 2001
    Bridging network adapters can be done in software via the Linux kernel pretty easily. I don't know if the full units are doing it in hardware or software.

Because I don't have Ethernet run through my house - I use MoCa to link everything together. 3 TVs with 3 (old) TiVos, all have MoCa bridges next to them. The 4th sits next to the main router. The two smart TVs are also hooked to the MoCa bridges because it is faster and more reliable than WiFi.