1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Tivo Always Recording?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by dfuerpo, Jan 22, 2014.

1. dfuerpo

dfuerpo New Member

Mar 16, 2010
    I am new to the Tivo world having just purchased a Roamio Plus and two Minis. Tonight I had just tuned to the evening news when I got a call to...er...attend to a bodily function. I grabbed my ipad on the way to the bathroom, which is now my habit. I thought I would try the ipad Tivo app which I installed a couple days ago. I found the evening news show in the app and was given to option to "record and watch" (no option to just watch). I chose that and was surprised to find the show started to play from the beginning, which was at that point about seven minutes in the past! So my question is: is the Tivo always recording when tuned to a station? If not, how did it do this?

2. ltxi

ltxi New Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Colorado
    yes...and maintains a half hour buffer

3. MScottC

MScottC Member

Sep 11, 2004
    TiVo is always recording. If not doing a formal record, it buffers the last 30 minutes for each tunner. In other words, at any point of the day, if the channel was not changed on that tuner, you can rewind 30 minutes. A channel change, however, clears out that buffer. In the Roamio you are actually getting 4 buffers at the same time, and with the Roamio Plus and Roamio Pro, you get 6 30 minute buffers that you can bounce between as long as you don't change channels on a particular tuner. When you hit "Record", the TiVo will go back to the beginning of the show plus some, or as close to the beginning of the show as it can, based on how much is in that buffer, obviously no more than 30 minutes, or to when the channel was changed to what you are trying to record.

4. ltxi

ltxi New Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Colorado
    didn't i just say that?

5. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    and to get way more geeky, apparently the buffer is *really* some specific disk size amount, and the UI shows it to you as a rolling 30 minute buffer in live TV mode.

That's why sometimes when you record (on at least some Tivos), you can get way more than 30 minutes previously put into the buffer.. I forget if this was fixed on the Premiere & Roamio or not.. IIRC, it still happens on Tivo HD.. (E.g. lets say it's 6:35 and the buffer was already on a channel with a show that started at 6.. SOMETIMES hitting record will actually start the recording at 5:45 or something, WAY longer ago than 30 minutes previously, AND even before the current show even started.. It will put 'start' time at the correct location in the show though.)

6. dfuerpo

dfuerpo New Member

Mar 16, 2010
    I think I'm in love....

Thanks for clarifying that for me!

7. MScottC

MScottC Member

Sep 11, 2004
    Not really, you only said a very small part of it.

8. tatergator1

tatergator1 Active Member

Mar 27, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    I recently got 51 minutes of an hour-long show out of the "30 minute" buffer on my Roamio Plus. So, even with 20.3.8 software, you can still get more than the buffer.