1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this possible with the MINI

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by whitmans77, Jun 19, 2013.

1. whitmans77

whitmans77 New Member

Mar 5, 2003
    I hope this hasnt been covered. I have looked and havent found any answers.
    I have a man cave with 2 TVs set up next to each other. Currently I have a Series 3 and a comcast cable box providing signal to the 2 TVs. I know its possible to allocate the MINI to the 2nd tv but how would remotes work in that situation. I know with 2 tivos you could switch the 1/2 button. Would I be able to control the Tivo and the MINI independently?
    Thanks

2. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    The newer remotes don't have the 1/2 switch any more and the older ones that do don't have the A/B/C/D buttons they use all over the HDUI. So you'd either need a universal remote, like a Harmony, or you'll have to use two separate remotes for the Mini and S3.

But in either case you can set the S3 and the Mini to different remote addresses so that they will not interfere with one another.

3. whitmans77

whitmans77 New Member

Mar 5, 2003
    Thanks for the reply...can the same be said if i put an XL4 and the mini in the same place. Can they be assigned to different remotes?

4. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Yes all TiVos can be assigned a specific remote code. There are 9 unique codes 1-9 and there is a universal code 0. If a remote is set to 0 it will control all TiVos regardless of their code and if a TiVo is set to 0 it will respond to all remotes regardless of their code. A TiVo set to 1-9 will only respond to a remote with the same code or 0 and a remote set to 1-9 will only control a TiVo with the same code or 0.

The easiest way to set this up is to change the remote code on the S3 and remote you have now to something other then 0. Then when you get the Mini set it's remote to something other then 0 or the code of the S3. That way you can get through the setup without interfering with the S3. (The Mini will still be 0 so don't use the S3 remote while in setup or it could interfere with the Mini) Once setup is done set the remote code on the Mini and they will never conflict again.

To set the remote code on the remote you hold TiVo and pause for a few seconds until the light stays lit then press a number 1-9. To change it on the TiVo simply navigate to the System Information screen using that remote and press channel down. You'll see on that screen where it lists the remote code and it will change.

5. whitmans77

whitmans77 New Member

Mar 5, 2003
    Thanks!!!!!!