1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this a no-brainer? Tivo Premiere w/ 236 hr vs. TP XL...

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by TiVoEvan74, Jun 19, 2012.

1. TiVoEvan74

TiVoEvan74 New Member

Sep 11, 2004
    DVR Upgrade sells new Tivo Premiere with internal 1.5 TB hard drive, meaning 236 hours of HD recording. For $250. (AFAICT, they are new with internal HD.)

OTOH, BH Photo sells Tivo Premiere XL with 150 hours. For $213. Vann's sells it for $200.

Is the larger recording space worth the trade-off in lost features (seemingly only a glow in the dark remote & THX certification)?

If one buys from a 3rd party, are there glitches or issues in activating lifetime with Tivo?

I suppose, in any case, that I should pay for a month's fee first, in case I decide to return the Tivo!
  2. jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    THX is not really a meaningful difference as the consensus is that these units share a motherboard and software and thus the smaller unit was just not certified. The remote is a detail as well (though I prefer the sliding remote- worth the purchase).

No issues with lifetime from another source.

I thought that you had 30 days to cancel lifetime, so I would save the $14 out of the box.
  3. shwru980r

shwru980r Active Member

Jun 22, 2008
    You could buy both of them and hook them up to the same TV to do an A/B comparison. I think you get a free 1-2 weeks service on a Tivo that's never been activated. You should be able to tell in that time which one you prefer. Then you can return one for a refund once you decide.
  4. TiVoEvan74

TiVoEvan74 New Member

Sep 11, 2004
    Appreciate the replies...

Shouldn't the pictures be the same?

The OTA tuners should work the same, right? (See another thread in the Help Center, where I'm curious about OTA ability of the Premieres vs. a converter box and a Series 2).

I'll look into the 30 day cancellation of lifetime; it's a question of whether it'd be worth the hassles of $14 for the inevitable screw-ups, consumer battles when the canceling doesn't work. I suppose, though, I could just not pay the credit card bill, but all that's probably more rigamarole than I want to go through!

In any event, it seems that the only real difference between the basic Premiere and the XL are external (remote and THX certification). Hence, hard drive size should matter most.
  5. BlkBear

BlkBear New Member

Sep 10, 2004
    When you "check into it" you will find that the 30 days start the day it ships. So start your 30 day count down from the day it was shipped/ordered. Found this out when I asked how long I had to get the Lifetime Subscription, after activating the XL4 I bought last week. The rep told me when it ships, that is when the 30 day clock started, so when I got the notice later that day (the 9th) that is when my 30 days started. So I decided to order it today to get it over with.
  6. DonaldBurns65144

DonaldBurns65144 New Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Larger HDD's are always worth it as long as the price delta is reasonable. The only difference between the two is the XL has a small program to adjust your picture. I bought a XL and found using the THX program did tweak my picture settings somewhat. Worth the cost for me. If you don't plan on using the THX software to tune your TV picture to match their brightness/contrast and color standard then the XL is worth $0.00 extra. It's a one time use unless you ever change TV's etc. Just don't delete the THX program if you ever hope to reuse it. It's gone forever if you delete it and you have a plain Premiere from then on and so the program forever takes up a tiny bit of the XL HDD. So if you buy a Premiere you can always purchase a CD for adjusting PQ from other sources if you think you want to play with your picture. If going for HDD size - go for the full 2TB's.
  7. TiVoEvan74

TiVoEvan74 New Member

Sep 11, 2004
    Continued thanks... The 30 day sub stars with shipping or ordering-- that's pretty bad!! It obviously should start with activation of the box.

Where would I find a new Tivo Premiere with a 2 TB hard drive already in it?
  8. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    The box is activated before it ships isn't it? I know my launch boxes were, and that was when the warranty started as well. I believe the TiVoHDs I got from the father's day deal several years ago were also the same way.
  9. jespenshade

jespenshade New Member

Jul 26, 2009
  10. leiff

leiff Member

Aug 24, 2005
    My XL4 I got from E-expo didn't come activated. But maybe that's because it was an OPEN BOX! Quite unfair when I was expecting new.
  11. gthassell

gthassell Member

Apr 22, 2003
    Willowbrook, IL
    In addition to JepsenShade's very nice ebay listing (see above) - I just received my new Elite, so I will shortly be putting up an Premiere XL, and a Premiere that's been upgraded to 2 TB. If anyone's interested, please just PM me.
  12. ajwees41

ajwees41 Active Member

May 7, 2006

with a S2 and converter box it's a single tuner while the Premieres are dual tuner.