1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there a way to use my PC as a TiVo Remote Control?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by CurlingSteve, Jun 4, 2009.

1. Jun 4, 2009 #1 of 29
    CurlingSteve

CurlingSteve New Member

Apr 1, 2008
    I'm aware that I can use MyTiVo to schedule recordings over the Internet.

I'm looking for something that would let my laptop act as a TiVo remote.
    As in having a window open with buttons for the TiVo remote's buttons like "Skip", "Replay", "Guide", and so on.
    It would be nice to have all the buttons available in a window.

I can use my laptop to offload recordings to my storage computer (or my laptop) using TiVo Desktop.
    Those offloaded recordings still appear on (and can be transferred to) my TiVo via the "Now Playing on ..." folders in Now Playing.
    So there is communication amongst the units on my network.

I have a Harmony One remote that I can fairly freely customize using my laptop.
    But the Harmony One sends IR codes to the TiVo (and the rest of my components) which my laptop can't do.

Can similar functionality be done via a local network link (and PC software) to the TiVo?
    I.E. can I sent codes over my local net to control the TiVo?
    -----------
    TiVo Series 3
    2 GB storage (includes external)
    Software version 11.0C-01-2-648

2. Jun 4, 2009 #2 of 29
    fyodor

fyodor Member

Sep 19, 2006
    Yup.

http://tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showpost.php?p=7054269

3. Jun 4, 2009 #3 of 29
    gweempose

gweempose Active Member

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    Another option would be a Slingbox ...

[​IMG]

4. Jun 4, 2009 #4 of 29
    Morfious

Morfious Happy Roamio user

Jun 3, 2007
    Bucks County PA
    There is an iphone app as well. DVR Remote that will do the same thing. It will also let you use the keyboard to type in search items. It's well worth the $3 just for the keyboard.

5. Jun 5, 2009 #5 of 29
    TexasGrillChef

TexasGrillChef New Member

Sep 15, 2006
    There are 2 differnt remote programs for BOTH the iphone and iPod Touch that will control your TiVo.

Both have paid and free versions.

TGC

6. Jun 5, 2009 #6 of 29
    bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Georgia
    Only the Slingbox approach, though, allows you to do maintenance, i.e., adjust Season Pass List, delete To Do List entries, delete Now Playing recordings, etc. I sure would love to have a way to do that from a PC, as well, without Slingbox.

7. Jun 5, 2009 #7 of 29
    gweempose

gweempose Active Member

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    The only downside is that you can only perform those tasks on a TiVo that is directly connected to the Slingbox. So the same limitations apply as far as deleting/scheduling recordings on a TiVo in another room. Of course, you could always buy a Slingbox for every one of your TiVos, but that's hardly cost effective. Life would be so much easier if you had full control of remote machines through the GUI. Haven't we been asking for this for years?

8. Jun 5, 2009 #8 of 29
    CurlingSteve

CurlingSteve New Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Thanks Fyodor, I'll take a look at that.
    ---------
    I can already access my TiVo (and secondary storage server) over the internet for playback without any issues.
    And I can schedule programming through MyTivo (limited though it may be).
    Maybe TiVo Remote 0.17 has what I'm looking for, I'll see.

Thanks for the responses everyone.

9. Jun 5, 2009 #9 of 29
    CurlingSteve

CurlingSteve New Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Thanks again Fyodor, that's EXACTLY what I had in mind, and it works.

These are the steps I took to get it going...
    -----------
    (1) Download and install a Python interpreter
    http://www.python.org/download/
    I'm using the version 2.6.2 Windows Installer
    http://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.6.2/python-2.6.2.msi
    (2) Download and extract TiVo-Remote-0.17.zip to a folder
    http://tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=11347&d=1234067658
    (3) On your TiVo ... (using your current remote)
    Open "Messages and Settings"
    Open "Settings"
    Open "Remote, CableCard, & Devices"
    Open "Network Remote Control"
    Select "Enabled"
    Press "Thumbs Up" 3 times as confirmation
    (4) Find the IP address of your TiVo on your local network
    Open your router's setup routine and find the "DHCP Clients Table" (or similar, whatever lists connected computers)
    Make a note of the IP address assigned to your TiVo
    (5) Open the folder you extracted "TiVo-Remote-0.17.zip" to
    Run "Zeroconf.py" (Double click it)
    Run "remote.pyw" (Double click it)
    When asked, enter the IP address for your TiVo
    Cross your fingers
    A window should open similar to the TiVo remote (and be functional)
    -----------

10. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    You don't need to run Zeroconf.py. It's a module that's loaded by remote.pyw. Its purpose is to help autodetect TiVos on your LAN... which is apparently not working in your case, probably due to a firewall.

11. bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Georgia
    We've been asking, but I'm surely not willing to pay for it, so it probably isn't worth doing. Nice to have, but not important.

12. TexasGrillChef

TexasGrillChef New Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Are ya willing to pay for anything? :D

13. solutionsetc

solutionsetc Member

Apr 2, 2009
    Northern...
    TiVo already has the hard part of this done with the HTTP server built in. Designing an html interface for everything the TiVo does locally would be trivial (hell... even a $30 router has an http based GUI).

14. bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Georgia
    Not much. I'm a typical consumer. I just want it cheap. :D

Maybe maybe not but supporting it is always the big cost for that sort of thing anyway. I know intimately the costs associated with every additional feature. It seems that there is the cost of supporting the feature, and then the cost of supporting the feature as it interacts with every other feature. So every new feature costs on the Order of N, not the Order of 1. However, really, since neither you nor I have the code itself, making statements about whether it is trivial or difficult is utterly silly.

15. CurlingSteve

CurlingSteve New Member

Apr 1, 2008
    To wmcbrine,

I just listed the steps I took, and they worked.
    I did get a firewall warning, but allowed access.
    Everything is good now.
    If you want to streamline my instructions, feel free to do so.
    I know nothing about Python, and yield to you.
    Skipping my "Run zeroconf.py" step will work based on your comment.

16. lastdeadcat

lastdeadcat 22 years in Alaska

Mar 14, 2005
    Duvall, WA
    Once you close the TiVo Remote on your computer, how do you get it back? Where does it live so I can find it and make a shortcut.

17. solutionsetc

solutionsetc Member

Apr 2, 2009
    Northern...
    Yeah... your intimate knowledge is really helpful here. :rolleyes:

But let's just examine a few facts:

1.) TiVo has a built in http server.

2.) Play lists and to do lists are available via IP protocols.

3.) Every command on the TiVo remote is executable via simple strings on an IP protocol.

While wish list creation/editing and season pass management may indeed require a change to compiled binaries, clearly putting up an html interface to all things allowed by IP protocols is a no brainer that would not "touch" a single line of compiled code.

Any decent webmaster could knock it out in a weekend(given the screen graphic elements by TiVo).

18. bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Georgia
    It is nothing but incredible arrogance to proclaim something like that. I'm a professional developer, and in my career I have dealt with clueless project managers who make self-serving and baseless conclusions like that based on even more insight into the code-base they're talking about than you have into TiVo's. Congratulations... you're now qualified to be an incompetent project manager.

19. solutionsetc

solutionsetc Member

Apr 2, 2009
    Northern...
    A professional, huh? I have seen quite a number of your posts and you always seem to feel the need to make things personal. This kind of behavior is often due to self esteem issues and you may want to look into getting some help with it.

20. JWThiers

JWThiers Smartypants

Apr 12, 2005
    Cocoa, Florida
    I know a little about coding (not a lot, but I understand a lot of the concepts), and I am not a project manager (but from what you are saying I guess I could qualify as an incompetent project manager too) What do you, as a professional developer, see as technical barriers? I don't mean time, or support costs (I know it would take more than a weekend and cost money), but actual you have to recode entire sections of the OS. I wouldn't be surprised if Tivo could do this by just adding features to Tivo Desktop and change the code on the tivo very little, if at all.