1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there a simple way to organize personal videos?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by ahwman, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Feb 2, 2013 #1 of 12
    ahwman

ahwman Member

Jan 24, 2013
    I have approximately 20 of my family videos converted to .tivo format. That said, is there a simple way to get all of these videos onto my TiVo Premiere into a common folder, i.e. "Videos", without having to run command line programs and messing with meta data? I tried to do this by creating a wishlist - using a common name prefix in the title of the videos but was unsuccessful. I don't like them cluttering up "My Shows".

Thanks so much,
    Windows Media Center convert...

2. Feb 2, 2013 #2 of 12
    cherry ghost

cherry ghost Active Member

Sep 13, 2005
    Chicago
    TiVo Desktop Plus and pyTiVo will both work. PyTivo is free, TDP is not.

3. Feb 2, 2013 #3 of 12
    lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Not w/o "messing with" the metadata.

4. Feb 2, 2013 #4 of 12
    jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    How did you serve them to the tivo? Why not just leave them there to pull/push when you want to view them?

5. Feb 3, 2013 #5 of 12
    ahwman

ahwman Member

Jan 24, 2013
    I'm using the free version of TiVo desktop and pulled them down from the TiVo itself. Here's my setup and intentions:

I have 2 TiVo Premiere Xl4's, one in the family room and one in the master bedroom. My intention is to have the most used unit (family room) do all of the recording, store season passes, etc. and store all of my personal video on the master bedroom TiVo just to keep things organized and also take advantage of the generous disk space on the master bedroom TiVo since it won't be recording anything.

Is there a better way to utilize my resources?

Thanks so much for your suggestion as it makes a lot of sense...

6. Feb 3, 2013 #6 of 12
    jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    I'm not sure if you have two 2-tuner models or two 4-tuner models.

Me? (assuming 2-tuner models) I would split the load between the two and enable season passes. By split the load, I mean set up each to record two majors and their season passes, to avoid conflicts.

7. Feb 3, 2013 #7 of 12
    ahwman

ahwman Member

Jan 24, 2013
    Actually they're both 4 tuner models with 2TB hard drive's. Also, is their a way to hide the .tivo extension of transferred video's? If I delete the extensions, TiVo doesn't recognize them... Just a minor annoyance.

8. Feb 3, 2013 #8 of 12
    steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    The only way I know of to do this is to go to Windows Folder Options, click the 'View' tab, and check the box 'Hide extentions for known file types'.

9. Feb 3, 2013 #9 of 12
    ahwman

ahwman Member

Jan 24, 2013
    I should've been more specific. I meant from the TiVo side.

10. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    You shouldn't be seeing them from the TiVo side.

11. ahwman

ahwman Member

Jan 24, 2013
    Yeah, each of the video names each clearly show the .tivo extension when browsing from the TiVo box. The same behavior occurs with .mpg's...

12. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    I guess it could be because I'm still running Win2K and thus also an older version of TiVo Desktop, but they don't show up on my TiVo and never have.

Could you post the output of a "dir" command of the directory where your videos reside?