1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

is there a mini limit when connected to 4-tuner Premiere as host?

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by buscuitboy, Mar 7, 2014.

1. buscuitboy

buscuitboy New Member

Aug 8, 2005
    Atlanta area
    I currently have a mini that is connected to a 4-tuner Premiere as its host. All works good. I like the speeds and interface of the mini so might consider some more to replace several Series 3s and 2-tuner premieres.

I know the minis now have dynamic tuning, but is there still maybe a limit on how many minis can be associated with a 4-tuner Premiere? Wasn't sure if this older technology has some limitations compared to the newer Roamios.
  2. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Active Member

Mar 21, 2004
    I believe you can have as many Minis as you want (up to the tivo account's 10 device limit). The limitation on the 4-tuner boxes is 3 simultaneous live TV streams max, since the host will keep one for itself.
  3. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    The Premiere units have a max of 3 network streams period, so even if you're just playing recordings you'll only ever be able to use 3 Minis simultaneously. The Roamio units have no such limit, so if you need more then 3 Minis you should consider upgrading to a Romaio as well.
  4. MikeekiM

MikeekiM Palindromer

Jun 25, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    I hadn't realized that there was a limit (or what the limit was)...

In the latest summer sale (and probably elsewhere), there is a footnote that the household maximum is 11... Then I read somewhere else that the recommendation is up to 4 (for best performance), but as high as 10...
  5. Bigg

Bigg Active Member

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford- New Haven CT
    3 simultaneous. Just for kicks, I tested mine with all 3 going at once from recordings, and I think a couple of recordings too. It's pretty impressive for the Premiere, which is generally a performance dog.