1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is the TiVo 3-year warranty worth it on the Mini?

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by dmk1974, Apr 13, 2013.

1. dmk1974

dmk1974 DA BEARS!!!

Mar 7, 2002
    Cary, IL
    I rarely buy extended warranties on electronics, but wanted to see what people think about it for the TiVo Mini. The downside is that it's the same $40 price for 3 years like a much more expensive TiVo Premiere. But unlike the Premiere, where if it fails it's 90% of the time the hard drive which is not hard to replace, I'm guessing a Mini failure will render it useless.

I have Lifetime on my Mini's so instead of being out $99, I'd be out $249 if it fails. How stable do you think these will be over a few years and is the extended warranty worth it for the Mini? Thanks!

2. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    If you have lifetime on it, it may be worth it. Otherwise, no.

3. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    With no moving parts IMHO it is not worth getting the extended warranty, I have never seen a TiVo (Series 3 and newer) fail for any other reason than the hard drive, I know that some TiVos have had power supply problems, but with a 5 watt unit I don't think that will be much of a problem on the Mini.

4. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I got the four year extended warranty on both of my Minis I got from BestBUy. For only $20 it was a good deal($14 for the two year). Plus it can help with the resale value down the road. If a Mini replacement comes out in two or three years, I will buy the new version and sell my older ones. The extended warranty will help with the resale. That is the main reason I get extended warranties on my TiVos. And I'm sure the four year extended warranty on my Elites will come in handy when I sell them to get a six tuner TiVo.

5. Digital Man

Digital Man Member

Jan 2, 2013
    I got the 4 year Best Buy warranty for $20 as well. Seemed worth it since I have lifetime on it. I hope to keep using it for a long time. Plus I had an extra Best Buy gift card that I needed to use.

DM

6. dmk1974

dmk1974 DA BEARS!!!

Mar 7, 2002
    Cary, IL
    Does the BB warranty cover the lifetime service though? Or just the $99 box? We may need to confirm this.

7. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    TiVo has said in the past that an authorized dealers warranty will include Lifetime Xfer, I don't think TiVo will change that policy for the Mini.

8. jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    You are basically playing the odds, which are that you'll be making the seller much more profitable.

9. farmermac

farmermac Recorder of shows

Jan 31, 2012
    If you pay with visa or Amex your warranty is effectively doubled. The third year is a gamble. I'm sticking to my credit card factory warranty doubling. I had a TiVo fail after 1 year and a few months, I had TiVo send me a replacement out of warranty for $79 and visa promptly reimbursed.

10. jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    exactly. And how much is an extended warranty? Even if you had not been reimbursed, you would have not had a major impact of cost. Extend that across multiple devices that also rarely fail, and its clear how much profit is made from these insurance policies.

11. lgnad

lgnad Pantless Mofo

Feb 14, 2013
    Massachusetts
    I have only ever bought one extended warranty before, so I'm clearly in the " they're a ripoff" club...

However, when I bought a Mini at Best Buy, I thought it was worth it, like some others have said... I knew I was buying lifetime, and getting the mini was going to save me $7.50 a month on cable... Their $20.00 warrantee guarantees that I will make it well past the break-even point at around three years. Hey, there's always the chance of power surges, lightning and random failure.

I wasn't even thinking about the value-add of the warranty at resale time if its time to upgrade... Excellent!

12. wizardman13

wizardman13 New Member

Feb 26, 2013
    So, I'll assume you only paid 20 as a total and not $40 for both of them?

13. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    It's $20 for each Mini for the four year extended warranty at Best Buy. $14 for each Mini for the two year.

14. aristoBrat

aristoBrat Active Member

Dec 30, 2002
    Va Beach, VA
    It's a first-generation product, which I generally try to avoid. I got the warrantee.

15. wizardman13

wizardman13 New Member

Feb 26, 2013
    I paid for warranty for just one of them (I got two Mini's also). I guess if they both go, I'm in trouble.

16. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    A lot of solid state devices these days fail because of crappy capacitors. On the big TiVo boxes all of the capacitors are on the "power supply" which means they can be replaced relatively easily. I haven't seen the inside of a Mini but if there are any capacitors on the main board it's probably a good idea to get a warranty unless you're really good with a soldering iron.

17. waynomo

waynomo My One Time TCF Club

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    All extended warranties are a gamble. The insurance companies are the house. They build in their profit. How much risk are you willing to take?

I can't risk my house burning down even though I know that is pretty remote.

I just purchased a cell phone. The salesperson asked if I wanted the extended warranty. While it seemed reasonable, I happily thought of the 15 plus years of never having an extended warranty and all the money I have saved since I never lost or broke a cell phone and easily realized that I could buy a new replacement phone at full price several times over by what I have saved.

So, how much risk are you willing to take? Or in a nod to Harry Callahan ask yourself, "Do I feel unlucky?"

18. waynomo

waynomo My One Time TCF Club

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    Thing is that if their is a defect because it is a first generation it usually crops up relatively quickly.

19. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    There was only one cellphone I've owned over the last twenty years that I did not get some kind of extended warranty. Of course that was the only phone I needed to use it on. It got stolen and if I had the warranty it would have covered replacing the phone.

The same with TVs. Out of the ten HDTVs I've owned since 2001, I didn't get an extended warranty on one of them. It died a few weeks after the manufacturer warranty ended. The other TVs with the extended warranties have been fine.

So I get the extended warranties on all my TiVos. And so far I've had no issues.

20. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    I guess when you take an umbrella with you it never rains.