1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

is the Mini still pretty fast with networked Premiere

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by buscuitboy, Jan 6, 2014.

1. buscuitboy

buscuitboy New Member

Aug 8, 2005
    Atlanta area
    I have a 4-tuner Premiere in my setup. Its located in our main bedroom. Now that the Mini has dynamic tuning, I was thinking of getting one to add to my system. I would then like to move the 4-tuner Premiere to the living room and put this mini in the bedroom instead since I have heard its interface is faster (& this is where we tend to watch TV more).

Will the Mini be significantly faster even with an older Premiere as its main hub/source for the tuner & recordings? Does a mini work faster with a Roamio in the mix compared to a Premiere or does it not matter? Just curious.

2. supasta

supasta New Member

May 6, 2006
    Colorado
    I am currently using a Mini connected via MOCA to a TiVo Premiere 4. Anecdotally, I find the Mini to be much faster and more responsive than the Premiere.

3. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Yes, before Roamio line was introduced I was using a Mini as a front end to my Elite since I couldn't tolerate slowness of the Elite. The Mini is very responsive, much like the Roamio series behaves. Now that I have a Roamio Pro I don't have much use for Mini or my series 4 units anymore - the rest of the family uses those now.

4. aristoBrat

aristoBrat Active Member

Dec 30, 2002
    Va Beach, VA
    My Minis were def faster than the Premiere 4 XL they were originally attached to. That's since been upgraded to a Roamio Pro. I didn't notice the Minis get any faster when that happened.

5. HF444

HF444 New Member

Dec 17, 2006
    Silicon...
    Has anyone seen what ( if any ) the speed differences are when :

using a Mini with a Premiere

using a Mini with a Roamio Basic

using a Mini with a Roamio Plus

using a Mini with a Roamio Pro

Thanks.

6. aristoBrat

aristoBrat Active Member

Dec 30, 2002
    Va Beach, VA
    The speeds of my Minis didn't change when I upgraded from a slow Premiere 4XL to a much-faster Roamio Pro.

7. tatergator1

tatergator1 Active Member

Mar 27, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    I don't see any difference between accessing my Roamio Plus or my 2-tuner Premiere from a Mini. Interacting with a Premiere solely over the network is fast. The speed problem arises when the Premiere has to process and output all of the HDUI graphics.

8. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I've tried with a Mini connected to an ELite as host, a Roamio Pro as host, and a Roamio Basic as host. The Mini seemed to be the same speed when connected to each them.

9. HF444

HF444 New Member

Dec 17, 2006
    Silicon...
    Thanks for the responses.

This is good info to know.