1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Roamio anything like U-Verse yet?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by siratfus, Aug 28, 2013.

1. siratfus

siratfus New Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Hey guys, can you tell me if any of this is possible. We have 3 premieres in our house and wondering if we should upgrade.

-Pause on one tv, then unpause on another.
    -Access recordings from other tivos instantly (right now, you download first)

Also, is the Tivo Stream just for smartphones and tablets? I don't watch stuff on my smartphone or tablet, so that's not important to me. But I'm wondering for TV viewing in another room, do I need another Roamio, or will the TV Stream work for 2nd and 3rd TV's?

Thank you in advance!

2. siratfus

siratfus New Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Found out the answer to my second question. LOL! It's the Tivo Mini, that's what I would need!

But I would still like to know would the viewing be instant just like the main tivo, or do you need to download first?

3. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    It's instant. It uses network streaming so you can start watching instantly and seek to any point in the program immediately.

Note: You can still download TiVo to TiVo if you want, but it's only necessary if you're trying to shift things around to manage space. Also Mini's have no internal storage so they are streaming only.

4. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    You can do those things with just Premieres. :confused:

Even more specifically, it's just for iOS, for now.

5. siratfus

siratfus New Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Thanks!

But to clarify, I don't have 3 premieres.. My bad. My mind just quickly grouped all old tivos as premieres, but two of the units I own are the tivoHD ones. And then I got 1 premiere using as a tuner without the service.

6. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    OK. Well, you can do those things with any combination of (subscribed) Premieres, Roamios and Minis. But not older models.

7. siratfus

siratfus New Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Okay, this is very important... Is the Tivo Mini independent? I know it access the main tivo, but if my parents are watching live tv with the TIVO MINI, and I'm in a different room watching live tv with the main unit, can we watch different channels independently?

8. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
  9. djwilso

djwilso Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    Yes, a different tuner is used on the Mini.

10. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    But you can *TRANSFER* (copy) shows from the older Tivos to the Premieres/Roamios and THEN stream them. At least I have 100% positively done this from my TivoHD to my Premiere 4, then watched on an iPad via Tivo Stream.

Don't watch live TV, record shows then watch the recordings.. But as a more serious comment, if they're using a tuner with the Tivo Mini, it means you have one fewer tuner to record shows with (while they're using it).

11. HarperVision

HarperVision TiVo's Italian Cuz!

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    Just to clarify, the mini doesn't have any tuners built in. It steals one from the host TiVo (Roamio, Premiere 4, etc) and does it dynamically if you have a Roamio.

12. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    He already mentioned that, as something that he was looking to avoid.

13. siratfus

siratfus New Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Hmmm, very tempting to make the upgrade. Can cut down on the cable card rental. Would have been an even bigger no brainer if Tivo didn't charge service on the Minis. $149 lifetime is not bad.

Do you guys know if Dish or Fios or whatever other company that provides Multi-room dvr experience also charge a fee for their version of TIVO Minis? I wonder how competitive Tivo's pricing strategy is versus cable companies.

At least this is better than before when you had to pay the $400/$500 lifetime for each unit.

14. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Yes most of the MSOs charge for their equivalent of the Mini. I think in some cases they bundle 1 or 2 with the main DVR for a single price, but they typically charge extra for more rooms. I'm not sure how competitive they are price wise though. A lot of times the MSOs can come in cheaper because they can spread the cost out across your whole cable bill. Although not always.

15. HarperVision

HarperVision TiVo's Italian Cuz!

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    DirecTV charges the exact same, $6/month/mini genie. Only difference is you don't actually "own" the Genie mini client, it's just leased so there's no residual value later on because you have to give it back when you cancel.

16. siratfus

siratfus New Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Digging up my own thread. I figure to keep my questions here...

Here is something I forgot to ask, can the Mini flip between multiple live tuners back and forth? Would it know that nobody is watching tv right now, so all 6 tuners can be played with? I read that you have to dedicate one to the mini. "Dedicate" seems like some sort of lock, so I'm assuming the answer to my question is no?

Now if we need to lock/dedicate, then can we dedicate 2 tuners to a mini? Ideally, I want the main Roamio Plus to have 3 tuners, first mini to have 2 tuners, and a second mini to have 1 tuner. The one tuner is for the parents, who wouldn't know what to do with two tuners. LOL!

Thanks in advance.

17. jcthorne

jcthorne Active Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    The Roamio does not dedicate tuners to minis, they are allocated dynamically. The mini only uses one of the Roamio's tuners at a time as it only sends one video stream at a time to the mini. Not sure how a mini could ever use more than one tuner, it can only present one stream at a time.

18. siratfus

siratfus New Member

Oct 3, 2008
    If we get out of the tuner by going into the recorded stuff, then hitting live tv again. Will it go back to the same tuner? Or, can we tell it to stream a different tuner?

19. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    You can't control it. I will typically get the same tuner back. But if the tuner is scheduled to start a recording or another mini takes the tuner, then the Mini will get a different tuner.

20. siratfus

siratfus New Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Okay, good to know. This will make me re-think whether I really need a 6 tuner main unit. I hardly run into conflict issues with season passes with the two tuner models.

I like watching a movie and when it has a commercial, I would pause it, go to the other tuner and watch another show or sports, when that has a commercial, I go back to the other one, which I can now fast forward through the commercial. I figure 6 tuners would be great, so I can do this as well when I'm watching with the Mini. But this will make me re-think things.

It would be great if the the remote had 6 small led buttons saying tuner 1, tuner 2, etc. The ones that are lit red means they are occupied. The ones that are lit green are available. So when you're using your Mini, you can just hit the tuner you want. Hit a different tuner to tell the main unit to start sending contents from there. Go back to the previous tuner, to continue where you left, etc. Do you guys think this is possible with a software tweak? Or, is it too much tied to hardware?