1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is out of home streaming a scam?

Discussion in 'TiVo Stream' started by tamooreindy, Feb 4, 2014.

Have you attempted to use out of home streaming and succeeded?

Poll closed Feb 14, 2014.
  1. Yes, it works fantastic, this poster is full of crap.

67.5%
  2. Yes, I tried but it wouldn't work, Tivo marketing is full of crap.

15.0%
  3. No, I haven't tried. I'm sure someday Apple could do it if Tivo can't.

10.0%
  4. No, I don't care about this.

7.5%
  1. Feb 4, 2014 #1 of 165
    tamooreindy

tamooreindy New Member

Aug 16, 2007
    Indianapolis...
    Every program in "My Shows" on my Roamio Plus, when I attempt to stream to my iPad it has a message that the copyright holder restricts streaming out of home. I think it's a sales scam. I was looking forward to watching a hockey game this evening. I think I got duped. I just spent $1,000 for Roamio, Mini TV, both with lifetime. I went through every setting I could find to ensure it was setup for out of home streaming. I love my Tivo but I feel this out of home streaming thing is dishonest and I'm disappointed. I honestly don't think it's necessary to make claims for features that are unusable in order to make money. Lack of integrity.

2. Feb 5, 2014 #2 of 165
    Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    That's your cable companies fault. Most only protect the Premium channels, but some, like Time Warner and some areas of Cox, protect everything. Except the locals. It's illegal for them to protect the locals, so those should work.

3. Feb 5, 2014 #3 of 165
    slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    No, it's equally if not more so Tivo's fault for rolling over and playing dead, especially when in-home streaming is allowed.

At the least this is misleading advertising on Tivo's part, i.e. this page says nothing about the limitation that would be clear to any potential buyer.

4. Feb 5, 2014 #4 of 165

9300170 Member

Feb 20, 2003
    Tempe, AZ
    Your survey needs the option: "I haven't used it since I'm an android user."

5. Feb 5, 2014 #5 of 165
    moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    I agree it's not made clear to potential buyers. If it weren't for this forum I probably wouldn't know about that limitation either. Luckily it doesn't affect me as only premium channels are CCI protected and I don't subscribe to those channels anyway.

6. Feb 5, 2014 #6 of 165
    dianebrat

dianebrat I refuse to accept your reality TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Dan nailed it, this isn't a Tivo problem since for many of us it works fine, the issue is your cable company that is overly aggressive on its protection, for my VZ FiOS install I can stream every channel I receive OOH, that's not a "scam" that's a feature that I appreciate.

7. Feb 5, 2014 #7 of 165
    slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    Lucky you, in other words it doesn't affect me so nyah nyah nyah. It is Tivo's problem as much as it is the fascist cableCos.

8. Feb 5, 2014 #8 of 165
    moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    While it doesn't affect me I still see a "misleading" element in that TiVo doesn't clearly state that OOH streaming won't work for CCI protected channels on all relevant pages. I'm pretty sure I remember seeing fine print somewhere about that fact, but like the page linked to above doesn't mention is an example of misleading advertising. Another example of that is that H.264 channels don't work at all - but it's hard to find any mention of that in advertising pages either. The best place for such information is these forums.

9. Feb 5, 2014 #9 of 165
    tamooreindy

tamooreindy New Member

Aug 16, 2007
    Indianapolis...
    I don't see anything on Tivo's page that says anything about unless you have Time Warner, etc.

http://www.tivo.com/discover/tivo-anywhere

Bottom line is it doesn't work for everyone as it is described on the marketing for the product. Don't get me wrong, I love my new Tivo. I would have purchased without this feature. I'm simply offended that Tivo advertising is misleading by leaving out part of the story. It's called a lie of omission. They didn't disclose the whole story; that it doesn't work for everyone. I'm not a Tivo hater, I'm a Tivo lover. I just think the advertising for this feature is dishonest and deceptive.

10. Feb 5, 2014 #10 of 165
    tamooreindy

tamooreindy New Member

Aug 16, 2007
    Indianapolis...
    Haha, I agree. Sorry I'll try to be more inclusive next time. :up:

11. Feb 5, 2014 #11 of 165
    dianebrat

dianebrat I refuse to accept your reality TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    No, in NO WAY is it a Tivo problem, their network and functionality is fine, it's the CableCO that the issue. I'm not thumbing my nose and saying "neener neener neener mine works" I'm saying the scummy CableCO is the cause of the issue, not Tivo.

12. Feb 5, 2014 #12 of 165
    Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    We still don't know if TiVo made the decision to prevent OOH streaming of protected channels to cover their own ass, or if they were actually instructed to do so by Cable Labs. None of this is laid out in the CableCARD rules, and there is no other precedent in the cable market, so they're at the mercy of what Cable Labs will allow. Perhaps this is just temporary until they can get approval from Cable Labs? The point is we really don't know.

13. Feb 6, 2014 #13 of 165
    beobuff

beobuff Member

Feb 6, 2009
    SEMA
    +1

14. Feb 6, 2014 #14 of 165
    slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    If Tivo would grow some balls and actually work on behalf of their retail customer instead of just rolling over, it wouldn't have been a problem at all.

But we all know how their bread is buttered, and it's not at retail.

15. Feb 7, 2014 #15 of 165
    jimmypowder

jimmypowder New Member

Oct 24, 2013
    Yeah most content is copyrighted so Tivo streaming is pretty much worthless.I watch a lot of premium movies.

I bought a couple of slingboxes because of all the Tivo Roamio streaming issues and could not be happier.

Just used them for 2 weeks and rarely did I get any buffering and I can watch anything that I recorded or that's on tv.

16. Feb 7, 2014 #16 of 165
    jimmypowder

jimmypowder New Member

Oct 24, 2013
    You are correct,but that would cost Tivo money .

17. Feb 7, 2014 #17 of 165
    Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I had a Slingbox. It's got it's own set of problems. One is that it's connected to the output of a TiVo so you're tying up that TiVo while you're watching. That can be problematic if the TiVo is shared with other family members. The Stream is completely independent and does not effect the source TiVo. The second is that controls are basically useless. FF/RW is impossible. IR and 30 second skip kind of work, but you may have to adjust the number of times you press them to account for the delay. (i.e. pres IR extra and 30 seconds skip less) The TiVo Stream bases it's seeks on what you're actually seeing on screen so they always land where you want them.

That being said if your shows are all protected then there is really no other option. Although eventually the analog hole is going to close and when it does you're going to be in the same boat no matter which device you use. (a Slingbox connected via HDMI has the same restrictions as a TiVo Stream)

18. Feb 9, 2014 #18 of 165
    jimmypowder

jimmypowder New Member

Oct 24, 2013
    So when is the analog hole closing? What info do you have that says this is gonna happen?

19. Feb 9, 2014 #19 of 165
    jimmypowder

jimmypowder New Member

Oct 24, 2013
    Yes grow a set or maybe you don't survive as Apple,Google,etc get the licenses to stream live tv and premium content through their devices with cloud storage to watch tv anywhere you are.

It's coming .3 years or less i'm guessing.

Comcast ,Time Warner and Co. are scared to death of the direction TV will take and of course they will try to price internet only service through the roof with punitive data caps to boot but the writing is on the wall.

20. Feb 9, 2014 #20 of 165
    Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    It's probably years off, but it's going to happen. You can't buy a new TV today that doesn't have at least one HDMI input. So in a few years there will be no need for analog outputs on HD cable boxes. And once that happens the content providers will be in complete control.