1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is now the time to buy?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by heh3d, Jul 11, 2013.

  1. heh3d

    heh3d New Member

    2
    0
    Aug 2, 2007
    Hey guys,
    I'm considering buying a Premier 4 since I'm moving from an apartment with UVerse to one where I'll need to get Comcast; and I don't think I can take the Comcast supplied DVR. I long ago had a first gen DirecTivo but haven't had any flavor of TiVo since and I've always looked forward to getting another some day.

    My question is, should I maybe wait? I understand the Premier 4 is a few years old at this point and TiVo likely has something new coming down the channel in a few months or so? As much as I hate Comcast's boxes, does it maybe make more sense for me to hang out and get whatever the new offering is with a lifetime sub once it becomes available rather than dropping a couple hundred on something now and retiring it in a year?

    Any advice is much appreciated.
     
  2. BigJimOutlaw

    BigJimOutlaw Active Member

    2,781
    8
    Mar 21, 2004
    Tough for me to recommend buying anything now unless you NEED it now, with the new boxes likely dropping in only 2-3 months. Personally I would probably tolerate the Comcast DVR just for the short term and swap it for a cablecard and Series 5 later. Barring any unlikely catastrophic issues, it's probably going to be considerably more enjoyable to use than the current line.
     
  3. jakerock

    jakerock Hey ho howdy! TCF Club

    3,474
    9
    Dec 9, 2002
    Lee, NH
    Don't forget to factor in a few months for anything new that comes out to have the bugs worked out of it. Generally when TiVo first releases new hardware there are things about it that really distress people until they are changed with future SW releases.
     
  4. 9300170

    9300170 Member

    191
    0
    Feb 20, 2003
    Tempe, AZ
    And the boxes have a premium price at first. I still smart over my $1K Series 3. :(
     
  5. spaldingclan

    spaldingclan Member

    388
    0
    Aug 22, 2012
    oof. I guess the $35 I paid for my Series 3 is a good deal
     
  6. CoxInPHX

    CoxInPHX COX Communications

    2,350
    6
    Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
  7. monkeydust

    monkeydust New Member

    493
    0
    Dec 12, 2004
    I'd certainly wait and buy a S5 if they are coming out in a couple months. I've own a S1, S2, S3, Elite and Mini. They don't really support previous models that well with software updates and the Premier's are dreadfully slow when it comes to apps like Hulu and Netflix.
     
  8. supasta

    supasta New Member

    2,976
    0
    May 6, 2006
    Colorado
    Wait and the new model will be delayed for months.
    Buy now and the new model will release the following day.

    There just really isn't any way to know.
     
  9. poofy

    poofy New Member

    29
    0
    Jan 16, 2012
    I am waiting for XL4 to hit around $250!

    The only advantage that an S5 (which I do not think will be out until April 2014 at the earliest) might or might not have will probably be:
    1. 6 tuners instead of 4 with OTA
    2. Built in wifi
    3. Larger HD and possibly faster processor
    4. Price tag of $499-$699
    5. Super buggy for the initial 6 months after release.

    None of the above matters to me, so come on Amazon or Best Buy or who ever bring XL4 down to $250!!!! Although $300 is good too if you need one right now.
     
  10. NotNowChief

    NotNowChief Addicted to TiVo

    300
    0
    Mar 29, 2012
    New York...
    TiVo is REALLY bad with this.

    They speculate this Fall for new boxes, which really means late Spring 2014. At best.

    If you need something, go for it and take advantage on one of the deals. If you are patient and can wait another year or so, then hold out.
     
  11. Bierboy

    Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

    12,346
    0
    Jun 12, 2004
    Quad Sillies
    Heck, I update my box every few years anyhow...which I can afford since I keep my Hondas for 15 years or more...
     
  12. stoli412

    stoli412 New Member

    180
    0
    Nov 22, 2003
    Philadelphia PA
    Personally I'd by a cheap no-committment Premiere off of eBay or something for right now and wait for the new Series 5 to come out, hopefully this fall.

    Watch out for the refurb deals from Woot and other places. They are still locking you into a 1-year committment for TiVo service.
     
  13. heh3d

    heh3d New Member

    2
    0
    Aug 2, 2007
    Thanks guys, this is really helpful. I'm thinking with the Premier 4 being pretty inexpensive right now, it might be good to pick one up to use for a while until the 5s bugs and price are knocked down. Since it's all pretty new to me I don't feel the need to be super early adapter. I've done fine with 3 HD tuners and ~70 hours HD recording space with UVerse; and tend to use my PS3 for Netflix etc. anyway. I'm guessing the guide and general interface is pretty acceptable (read: not too slow) in the Premier 4/4XL - so fixing that won't be one of the 5s features?
     
  14. CoxInPHX

    CoxInPHX COX Communications

    2,350
    6
    Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    The current SW Vers 20.3.1 has really slowed the HDUI down for me, on the XL4, before this latest update the HDUI was very acceptable, speed wise, others will disagree, I am assuming this will be fixed with the next update (hoping anyway).

    As for the rumored S5s they should be noticeably, much faster than the current 4/XL4s.
     
  15. moedaman

    moedaman New Member

    236
    0
    Aug 21, 2012
    I would buy right now. Get lifetime on it and then down the road sell it to help pay for a S5 after some of the birthing pains are fixed. They are still fine dvrs and if you use your PS3 for streaming, you might not even need to upgrade for quite some time anyway.
     
  16. Bierboy

    Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

    12,346
    0
    Jun 12, 2004
    Quad Sillies
    And you base this statement on what?
     
  17. lessd

    lessd Active Member

    7,697
    5
    Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    Hope!!
     
  18. L David Matheny

    L David Matheny Active Member

    1,589
    2
    Jan 29, 2011
    SE Ohio
    After all the complaints about inadequate processing power in the Series 4 units, he's just assuming that that there is enough collective intelligence at TiVo that they won't make that same pathetic mistake again. If the Series 5 units don't have considerably more memory and much faster CPUs, they will probably fail in the marketplace, as indeed they should.
     
  19. moyekj

    moyekj Well-Known Member

    11,148
    33
    Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Given that the Mini already shows huge performance boost vs series 4 units I'd say it's a safe bet that series 5 units will be on par or better than the Mini's performance or at least significantly better than series 4 units. I can't wait to dump my laggy Elite in favor of a faster model with 6 tuners even with the inevitable early adopter issues that come with a new unit.
     
  20. Rose4uKY

    Rose4uKY Member

    388
    0
    Mar 28, 2003
    Kentucky
    I have 2 series 3 Tivo's now and I am moving. One is on Lifetime the other isn't. I was thinking maybe selling the LT for 200 and the other for 100. We want to get the highest Premiere 2000 HR/300HD hour DVR plus 2 minis we have 3 TV's total. I hear people talking about Elite what is that? Is it another name for the Premiere XL?

    And my last question is and I didn't want to start a new thread or read through a ton of threads but Tivo offered me 2 deals one for a factory renewed Tivo with a free moca or a new one at a discounted price but I buy the moca.. I forgot the price on both and will call them back tomorrow to verify but is a factory renewed one ok to buy anyone ever gotten one? I guess I need to ask Tivo what the warranty is on it I think they told me it's the same as a new one I am not sure though I forget. But I just wondered what other people thought if I should get the factory renewed with free moca or get new Tivo and pay I think the mocha is 50 bucks. And of course I will need 2 minis there's no discount on them there 99 bucks. I have beena Tivo customer since the 1st single tuner Tivo. Just not sure which route to go thanks...

     

Share This Page