1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is noone watching "Selfridge" on PBS?

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Jon J, May 10, 2013.

1. Jon J

Jon J Curmudgeon

Aug 23, 2000
    Music City USA
    To me the acting is superb and the sets and costumes are perfect. Of course, I'm a sucker for period shows. In a recent after-show storyline they explained they did everything first class because they expected to use the sets for years. I hope so.

2. SeanC

SeanC ECT

Dec 30, 2003
    Someplace
    I am and I'm loving it.

3. StacieH

StacieH betativowho??

Jan 2, 2009
    Between San...
    I am. I have always been a fan of Piven, but didn't remember setting it to record. I then realized it was a Masterpiece Theater production, so I guess it recorded because I was watching "Downton Abbey."

I wasn't sure if I'd like it due to the plot (department store), but I'm really enjoying it!

4. efilippi

efilippi Active Member

Jul 24, 2001
    Mundelein, Il
    Gotta love "the spirit of Selfridges" too, reason enough for a guy to watch. I thought his recovery from a days long coma was a bit oddly handled. Opens his eyes and thinks its a good idea to immediately go for a stroll, all by himself?

Are we finished with the saga of the nasty dad? Haven't seen him lately. And I'm a bit unsure of just how the naive brother on the loading dock was finished. I don't think he got into trouble, good for him.

eta what about the painter lover? He seems to have dropped out as well, though I was not surprised to see that Mrs. Selfridge would revert to her husband.

I guess I'm complaining a bit about how the story lines are pulled along. Or maybe I'm just not paying attention?

5. StacieH

StacieH betativowho??

Jan 2, 2009
    Between San...
    That waiter pulled him away from loading the truck just as the police moved it, so I don't think they realized he was part of it...even though it was unwittingly.

As for the dad, I hope he's gone, too. If anything, the actor looked like he could be her brother, not her father.

6. Jesda

Jesda CAPTAIN AWESOME

Feb 12, 2005
    DETROIT!
    I love this show. I keep trying to get people to watch it. The costumes and characters are outstanding. Maybe it isn't the deepest storytelling, but I enjoy it.

7. Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Active Member

Dec 1, 2004
    It's not the greatest but I'm enjoying it and looking forward to the next episode.

8. taronga

taronga New Member

Nov 15, 2006
    Kentucky
    I'm watching it. Although I thought the best episode was when Selfridge was in a coma (and thus not in it much). The British cast is top-notch, but I often cringe hearing American voices next to British ones - a problem I've had going back to Four Weddings and a Funeral. I haven't seen much of Jeremy Piven's work, and after this show, I don't care to. His performance is so one-note. That said, I'm an anglophile, so I'll keep watching.

FYI, a second season has been ordered.

9. efilippi

efilippi Active Member

Jul 24, 2001
    Mundelein, Il
    For some reason I didn't get around to watching the final episode until last night. Good season finale.

Roger is such a twit.

Loved the way the waiter guy was able to push back against Lady Loxley (not sure about her name). And I'd certainly like to push back against her myself, but that's another story.

10. efilippi

efilippi Active Member

Jul 24, 2001
    Mundelein, Il
    I guess there are only a few of us watching this but I still find it very enjoyable, as does my wife.

The Russian mom and son were delightfully awful, easy to look down on. And then the old bat comes through and is now a sweet old lady. And quite naturally done, too. Love her.

I'll miss Violet even though I agree that she and Corleone aren't a match made in heaven.

And Mr. Crabb deserves lots more money! He's the man.

11. hummingbird_206

hummingbird_206 Active Member

Aug 22, 2007
    Near...
    I hadn't heard of it. Just checked and Season 1&2 are available for free with Amazon Prime instant viewing, so added to my watchlist!

12. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    I like Jeremy Piven. I'm somewhat familiar with the actual story of Harry Gordon Selfridge. And I've been to the store.

I should watch it

13. nyny523

nyny523 Oy

Oct 31, 2003
    New Yawk
    I have been watching from the start.

I believe it was renewed. For season 4 :up:

14. Hcour

Hcour Member

Dec 24, 2007
    I love it. It's Upstairs/Downstairs (or Downton Abbey) set in a department store. Nobody does these kinds of soap operas better than the Brits.

Incidentally there's another really good one set in a department store called The Paradise. It's only two seasons, but I thought it was even better.

15. nyny523

nyny523 Oy

Oct 31, 2003
    New Yawk
    I agree.

Unfortunately, it was canceled in large part because of the Selfridge series. Too much of the same, I guess.

If I had to pick one, I would have gone with The Paradise...

16. Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Active Member

Dec 1, 2004
    I loved the first two seasons but it's now becoming predictable soap opera. The real life Selfridge actually had a more dramatic life than is being presented. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Gordon_Selfridge I agree The Paradise is the stronger of the two.

17. TomK

TomK Active Member

May 22, 2001
    Huntsville,...
    +1 for The Paradise as well.

18. Jon J

Jon J Curmudgeon

Aug 23, 2000
    Music City USA
    I thought the info on how much of the scenery is greenscreened that was added following a recent episode was fascinating.

19. ThePennyDropped

ThePennyDropped Now I get it.

Jul 5, 2006
    Northeast US
    I'd have chosen The Paradise, too.