1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is my pretty new Roamio defective?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by abbydancer, Feb 1, 2014.

1. Feb 1, 2014 #1 of 26
    abbydancer

abbydancer Member

Jun 16, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Hello.

So, my new Roamio pro arrived early this afternoon. I was able to hook it up to my tv, moved the cable from the HD to the Roamio, and did guided setup. It started a software update, so I went out for an hour or so to run an errand. It seemed to be done when I got back, but no channels, including broadcast.

So I installed the cable card that I got from Comcast earlier in the week, and dutifully called comcast to pair it. The agent was very helpful and told me she was sending a signal. She also told me it would take about 30 minutes. When I left it was at "Please wait ... Acquiring Channel Information" Loading showed 50%

I had plans for the evening, so left both the TIVO and the TV on and went out. I came back about 4 hours later, and it was at the same point. Comcast of course is now closed.

For grins, I looked at the my shows and noticed it can see my other two Tivo's. So, I decided to start transferring shows (although it has since occurred to me that since I have enough inputs on the tv to just add the Roamio I might as well watch from the old tivos, and just move all the recordings to the new one). About 15-30 minutes in, I get error 133 but the message says temporary. Googling around, I see that sometimes a reboot fixes. I reboot.

It's still acquiring channels. The downloading continued, but about 15-20 later, another 133. Rebooted again, and it seemed to finish transferring 3 shows, but the last fail was a 30 minute one.

Does this sound like a problem with the Roamio? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

2. Feb 1, 2014 #2 of 26
    abbydancer

abbydancer Member

Jun 16, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Update - cable card is now good but

It's had the C133 error for a couple of hours now. Tivo Chat told me to reboot the router and the tivo. I'm not convinced that that's the underlying problem.

I'm about to try it, but any advice?

Thank you

3. Feb 1, 2014 #3 of 26
    StevesWeb

StevesWeb Grumpy Old Geek

Dec 26, 2008
    Geek Hill,...
    From the information given you may have this issue:

IMPORTANT: This error often appears if you have WiFi enabled at the same time you have an Ethernet cable connected to your DVR. Only one active network connection type is supported. To use your wired Ethernet connection, disable the wireless connection. To use the wireless connection, disconnect the Ethernet cable from the DVR.

I see no reason to reboot your router.

4. Feb 1, 2014 #4 of 26
    BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Active Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Doesn't hurt to reboot. You never know.

But I was about to post something similar to the above post. How is your Roamio connected, wireless or wired? Did you select wireless but still have the ethernet connected, or vise versa? Did you try switching between them at all during setup?

5. Feb 1, 2014 #5 of 26
    abbydancer

abbydancer Member

Jun 16, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Hi,

Wireless only. And I've never put an ethernet cable in.

And after my husband reset the router the problem is back. Both of my other tivos are connecting properly.

6. Feb 1, 2014 #6 of 26
    StevesWeb

Dec 26, 2008
    Geek Hill,...
    Most likely you are not getting a reliable wireless connection, this may be the most common problem with TiVo installs. If it is possible to use Ethernet instead of WiFi it is very likely to fix this.

7. Feb 2, 2014 #7 of 26
    TScottTX

TScottTX New Member

Feb 29, 2004
    DFW
    I had the exact problem yesterday but with TWC. Turned out I had a M-Card with a serial number prefix of NG (single stream) and needed to have a M-Card with serial number prefix of MA (multi stream). Exchanged the card and enjoyed my new Roamio lastnight!

8. Feb 2, 2014 #8 of 26
    abbydancer

abbydancer Member

Jun 16, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    It seemed to be fine for a long while. I just tried to upload a show from Tivo Desktop and the connection crapped out again. I wonder if that's consistant. If so, that's a problem.

Rebooting brought it back.

Given where the TIVO is in the house, I'm not sure wired is a option.

9. Feb 2, 2014 #9 of 26
    StevesWeb

Dec 26, 2008
    Geek Hill,...
    Under the best conditions WiFi can still be problematic because it is subject to radio interference and RF signals attenuate according to the inverse square law.

If you run Ethernet it will fix this, if you don't it won't. Powerline adapters might be a viable solution although they too are subject to reliability issues.

10. lgnad

lgnad Pantless Mofo

Feb 14, 2013
    Massachusetts
    Or you could use Moca of course...

11. abbydancer

abbydancer Member

Jun 16, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Well, I called Tivo support. The guy told me that C133 is something they are looking at. I pointed out that didn't help me, and it makes the box somewhat useless. He went away for a while and said that before they can do a replacement, we should try wired. I said I didn't know if that was possible, but since it's sold with wireless, wireless should work.

Back and forth with them insisting I have to try wired. I got my husband on the line to point out that everything else worked on the network.

Eventually I got to a supervisor. While waiting for him, I found an old ethernet cable that I used to use for downloads on my laptops. We located both ends, and I set the Roamio up to use that.

The supervisor was very nice and gave me some stats on our tivos and teir network strengths. He also asked me about Moca:

Him: Do you know what Moca is?
    Me: I assume it's not a coffee drink, so no.

Anyway, he is sending us the adapter and and a filter so we can use that. I wasn't sure I completely understood what he said, so he talked to my husband the network server engineer. We think we might be able to make it work, although the router and the cable are nowhere near each other so we may have to move or resplit the cable.

In the meantime I was able to transfer a show without the network crapping out, so I'm hoping the wire solved it.

Thanks for all the advice, and the link so I could disable the wireless. I really appreciate it.

12. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    What kind of signal strength did you have on wireless? And were you using wireless N either 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz? Or were you using wireless G? Wireless G is too slow. And a low signal strength with wireless N will cause issues with speed too.

13. abbydancer

abbydancer Member

Jun 16, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    I think it was around 60-70 "good". I was using the wireless built in to the Roamio.

So far, as wired, it hasn't dropped. But I can see my desktop but when I try to access the Now Playing list, it says not available. The desktop app can see it's now playing list, and the Series 3 can see it's now playing.

Odd.

14. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    My wireless on my Roamio Basic is between 90% and 100% and is rock solid. 60% to 70% is certainly not ideal.

15. murgatroyd

murgatroyd Don't stop believin'

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    I was doing homework on the Roamio recently and saw a recommendation to do the initial setup wired and then switch to wireless afterwards. Don't know where I saw it, though. :(

16. HarperVision

HarperVision TiVo's Italian Cuz!

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    Why don't you just have Abby Lee go scream at it to make it work harder, like she does to her child dancers? :p

(Sorry couldn't resist, given her screen name here) ;)

17. StevesWeb

Dec 26, 2008
    Geek Hill,...
    IMHO that's bad advice.

There is no advantage to using wireless over Ethernet if the Ethernet option is available. Ethernet cables are essentially immune to interference or unexplained intermittent problems.

18. HarperVision

HarperVision TiVo's Italian Cuz!

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    I think what they're advising is to temporarily place the mini near the router or a switch and use a wired connection, then once it's all set that way, move it to your final destination where there may not be a wired option and switch to wireless.

19. murgatroyd

murgatroyd Don't stop believin'

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    On further reflection, I think what I saw was a page about setting up the TiVoHD. If my memory is correct (dubious) it might have been necessary to download the initial software upgrades over a wired connection first before the wireless option on the TiVoHD could be turned on. I'm not sure, however, because my TiVoHD is on a wired connection and I've never used it with wireless.

Sorry for the confusion. :(

20. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    It works just fine setting up over wireless. You just need to make sure you have an excellent signal to avoid issues. I specifically have several APs in my condo so all my wireless devices get excellent signal strength. And so I don't have any congestion issues or interference issues.