1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is MoCA Interoperable?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Marconi, Aug 18, 2012.

1. Marconi

Marconi TiVo Junkie

Sep 8, 2001
    Page, AZ USA
    Is MoCA a standard such that all MoCA devices can talk to each other regardless of brand?

I bought ten Actiontec MI424WR routers on eBay a while back solely for their MoCA functionality as Ethernet bridges. Five have since died and the other five are in service; I have no spares for when the next one dies.

So I'm wondering: Do I need to buy additional Actiontec devices or will Linksys, D-Link and other MoCa devices operate with the existing Actiontec devices?

I look at this site and think, yes, they are interoperable, but I don't know if my current MI424WR units meet the standard shown at the link.

2. news4me2

news4me2 Member

Jul 10, 2010
    Indianapolis
    They should all work together fine. I am currently using Actiontec, NetGear, ChannelMaster, and a Motorola Moca device on my network. All are working together fine....

3. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I also used a couple of Dlink MoCA adapters, along with the FiOS ACtiontec and the Elite boxes without issue. It was basically plug and play.

Although I did go back to all Ethernet, but that was for other reasons.

4. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    I'm using ActionTec and Netgear here ... no inter-operability problems.

5. tivohaydon

tivohaydon New Member

Mar 24, 2001
    No, MoCA is NOT guaranteed to be interoperable.

MoCA is a standard that can operate on several different frequency bands over coax. This was to ensure that it could coexist with cable TV, broadband modems, and satellite TV.

It might be chance, limited hardware implementations or careful design choice that allows the hardware above to interoperate.

When purchasing anything MoCA you should check out what frequency(ies) it operates on to ensure compatibility. Anything that talks on the same set of frequencies should be compatible.

6. fyodor

fyodor Member

Sep 19, 2006
    I've never had any trouble with any of the adapters or MI424WR devices not automatically interoperating.

I recently switched to RCN and have had trouble getting the MoCA in their Tivo DVR and extender working with my existing network.

7. poppagene

poppagene User

Dec 29, 2001
    Did the routers die or just the ac adapter? The early model actiontecs had issues with the ac adapters. If that's the problem you can find replacements on ebay and elsewhere at less than the cost of a used router.

Moca devices are generally interoperable.

8. Marconi

Marconi TiVo Junkie

Sep 8, 2001
    Page, AZ USA
    I have had AC adapters die but I have purchased new ones. Five of the Actiontecs can no longer be configured via web browser - unresponsive. Totally worthless. Perhaps the built in Ethernet switch is dead. I have one where only two of the four LAN ports work. Good thing I bought spares when I first switched to MoCA

It's good to know that I can buy replacements as needed and not have to replace them all at once.

9. SoBayJake

SoBayJake New Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    I beg to differ. The MoCA alliance certifies devices for interoperability. More info here on their website.

10. poppagene

poppagene User

Dec 29, 2001
  11. tivohaydon

tivohaydon New Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Check out their web pages (whitepaper, standards, etc) and the links to the certificates on the web page you cited in more detail and you'll see what I said is correct.

The devices may be certified to follow the standard but there are a lot of options and variables in the standard. Two different MoCA devices may never be aware of one another because they operate in different frequency ranges.

Makes it a bit of a nightmare really. Probably why we haven't seen more 3rd party devices.

12. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Then you just go into the MoCA settings and change the frequency selection to match on each device. Typically the auto function should work but if not, there is a manual setting in the menu. At least that was the case with the MoCA devices I used.

13. SoBayJake

SoBayJake New Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    The same can be said for 2 wifi certified devices. But the base station on channel 1, and have the client on channel 6...and they don't work.

I (and many others) have have Motorola, Netgear, Actiontec, and TiVo all operate together in the "auto" mode.

14. terpfan1980

terpfan1980 It's Just TV TCF Club

Jan 28, 2002
    Xbox Live:...
    I don't want to sidetrack this thread, but if I buy the router you are linking to does it directly the older ActionTec router that I have from Verizon currently? Do I save anything on my bill by bringing my own router?

15. ShayL

ShayL Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    No. You are not renting the router from Verizon.

16. terpfan1980

terpfan1980 It's Just TV TCF Club

Jan 28, 2002
    Xbox Live:...
    I didn't think that was the case, so the other question is if the new router would be a direct replacement or would I need to do something to get it working with Verizon FiOS in my home?

17. ShayL

ShayL Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    As long as it is one from Verizon either directly from the URL above or one from ebay / craigslist, it should be plug and play for your existing router. The plug and play statement does not apply to stuff like: wireless settings would have to change on the router or the clients or port forwards if you are using any custom ones.

18. tivohaydon

tivohaydon New Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Please at least look at the information referenced above before saying that compatibility is just a matter of changing to a compatible channel. Of course compatible gear exists and that's great you folks have it. That does not in any way imply that ALL devices are compatible. The question at the top of this thread was pretty much "does all MoCA equipment interoperate?" The answer to that is no.

If you want to use the WiFi analogy the proper analogy would be like trying to get a 2.4GHz (only) and a 5GHz (only) WiFi device to talk to one another. And guess what, if there was a WiFi certification process, they'd both pass.

I'll say it again and if no one wants to listen then so be it. The MoCA standards allow for compliant devices that operate on mutually incompatible frequencies. I'm changing the channel on this thread myself.

19. SoBayJake

SoBayJake New Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Guess what? There is a wifi certification process. That's how products get the "Wi-Fi" logo http://www.wi-fi.org/certification/programs

The original posted asked if his things would work together. Most said yes, you said "no, not all devices will be compatible." The OP was asking if his items would work together, and that answer is most likely yes. That's all.

To start telling everyone "It might be chance, limited hardware implementations or careful design choice that allows the hardware above to interoperate" is just wrong. By and large, they will work together, just like WiFi.

Are their problems? Yes, of course. My HP wifi printer won't connect to some access points. And guess what...it's super old, before the certification process. Do the new ones? Yes.

20. tivohaydon

tivohaydon New Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Fair enough. There is a WiFi certification process. I never noticed as few use it. Judging by the dates it's practically dead.

Regardless, I wanted to clarify that in fact not all MoCA devices talk to one another. Just speaking the truth and you're just interested picking nits, diversions and winning an online argument. Not interested.

If it's not clear why I pointed this out, check out the first sentence in the OPs post.

Best thing to do is check the channels supported on the MoCA devices to ensure compatibility before you buy a device. Fortunately the MoCA website has a what looks like a complete list.