1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is It Possible To ...

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by moose53, Jan 7, 2013.

1. moose53

moose53 New Member

Aug 30, 2011
    Is It Possible To ...

Connect an old (very old television) with AV cables to BOTH a Tivo Premiere and a Roku??

The Tivo's been working fine since last Fall.

I found a Roku on Craigslist for a good price and thought I'd try hooking it up; but, there is the whole cable limitation issue.

Anyone got any ideas?? Kind of hard to do a Google search when I don't know what I'm looking for :p

Thanks.

Barb

2. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    If you only have one AV input on the TV, you could either get a switchbox to switch between the two devices, or you could plug one device into the line input on the TV and connect the other to the antenna input using an RF modulator.

3. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    I bought a few of the really great analog switch boxes from Radio Shack, since discontinued. It converts S-Video to/from composite. It's even got a remote learning feature so it will switch to teh input when you press a button like power up.

You want a composite video switch.

Wow. They are hard to find these days. Monoprice has none.
    http://www.amazon.com/Cables-To-Go-28750-Composite/dp/B0032ANC8M/ref=pd_cp_e_0
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/16606752?...1=g&wl2=&wl3=13694717710&wl4=&wl5=pla&veh=sem

4. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC

What's the RS model number?

5. ramblinche81

ramblinche81 New Member

Oct 6, 2012
    Go to amazon and look at piggyback RCA cables which allow two inputs to a single port.

Think of it like a reverse splitter.

6. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    That would require unplugging the TiVo from the wall socket when you want to run the Roku to keep the outputs of both from being fed in to the TV simultaneously.

This is really a job for a switch and not a Y cable.

Or an older AV receiver that does switching.

Check Craigslist for either, and if there's a local video game store that takes equipment trade-ins, see if they might have a switch as well.

7. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Or putting the TiVo in standby.

BTW, I think piggybacking cables is a terrible solution. There is a possibility of damaging your TiVo, Roku, and/or TV. A cheap switch is much better.

8. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    A couple of devices I have are technically s-video switches, but they'll also switch composite. (Of course, s-video is being phased out...)

9. moose53

moose53 New Member

Aug 30, 2011
    Thanks. I appreciate your help and your suggestions.