1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is DLNA even on the radar?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by CubsWin, Apr 16, 2010.

1. CubsWin

CubsWin New Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Has anyone heard anything about whether DLNA support will be added to the Premiere? I'm looking to stream PlayOn.tv and am hopeful that I may be able to do so through my TiVo at some point. Have there been any hints whatsoever that DLNA may be coming?
  2. ct1

ct1 Active Member

Jun 27, 2003
    No idea. I just use streambaby though.
  3. Azlen

Azlen Active Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Any networked box should definitely have DLNA support, its becoming a standard feature. It's pretty pathetic that Tivo doesn't.
  4. chemosh6969

chemosh6969 New Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Probably because it can't be ruled out in the future. It would make no sense to claim no unless that was the case.
  5. MickeS

MickeS New Member

Dec 26, 2002
    What would the upside of such a statement be?
  6. RichB

RichB New Member

Apr 2, 2003
    DLNA was spotted tossing grappling hooks onto the walls of the ivory tower... :p

- Rich
  7. orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    Um, a little thing called competition maybe?
  8. cranbers

cranbers New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Who the cable company's dvrs? They could care less about that sort of feature. They obviously feel no such competition from tivo. Anything else already supports dlna, ps3 etc.

But yeah if they could integrate that so you can play your media server content which should be a no brainer.

But given the fact the premiere has been in development, one would assume since the s3 was released in late 2006, thats 3 years and they can't even release what they have in a finished state.

What they have been doing for the last 3 years? Eh, white boarding new features they will implement some day after they go bankrupt? That's all I can think of.

Good thing they don't have any real competition other then the cable companies basic functionality year round heaters that cost 18 dollars a month. If some big company that does this on the side as a hobby business like google comes around. I think its over the moment its released and it will be free no doubt. (they seem to be doing it in every other market, why not tv)?

But that's just my opinion. Toguh to be a company like this that has one and only product and one and only business model.
  9. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    that statement is ridiculous.
    First - TiVo rep had a few years old video thrown at them over an out of date argument over mcards in the S3. Clearly anything said in a public forum would be seen as fit to use against them for years to come. Given the very hostile nature of that encounter by the customer/poster it was only smart to simply not say anything more in this forum. The poster is the one who should be raked over the coals for denying the community contact with TiVo reps. Follow the quote in my sig if you want to see how it actually went down.
    Second - DLNA would be a strategic item for TiVo and could likely be involved in negotiations with 3 parties like playOn (if any are happening, I have no idea). To state anything publicly on it unless it was to note a completed timeline for delivery would be a bad business move.

CEO Rogers spoke at length with Cnet on nay questions Cnet wanted to ask. Cnet asked its readers to propose questions - I do not think DLNA made that list. anyhow Rogers did indeed speak about what is on the radar - may not be what you wanted to hear but it is what Cnet readers wanted to hear. It is linked in coffeehouse forum

if DLNA was really your overriding concer you would use Moxi which does support it - that way they did not have to work out actual deals with Netflix and so forth.
  10. ldobson

ldobson New Member

Jan 18, 2004
    Honestly, there are already ways of streaming media to the Tivo, while it would be nice to have, I have found that many DNLA implimentations dont support many of the codecs I use of a daily basis anyhow, even though they should.
  11. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    I see the difference in the two statements - time was though that a TiVo rep would not have been 'grilled' and a 3 or 4 year old video of oral comments at a trade show used to accuse him of "not telling the truth".

Do you see the difference between
    "hey, you said at the trade show for the S3 prototype that Mcard would be used when available. The S3 still can not use it. What is the deal with that, I am an unhappy customer because of this"
    "TiVo did not promise mCard for S3"
    "so you never said it would be there? Well I have a video proving you are not telling the truth!"

in the first a dialog should happen and TiVo deals with the miss on Mcard for expensive S3.
    In the second the poster is clearly just wanting to rant on TiVo rep and a smart person would not bite at the bait, let alone someone who represents a company, even unofficially.

So the facts clearly show that the poster was to blame for the community losing a great contact with TiVo inc. Follow the quote in my sig and judge for yourself. Note also that the thread had nothing to do with the S3 and the poster just jumped on a small comment to push his agenda to the detriment of the community.
  12. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    TiVo inc. never made any claim that the S3 would use Mcard. Since the Mcard was not even out at the time it would be hard for them to do so.

All TiVo rep did at a trade show was forget to add in "barring technical difficulties" each time he talked about it in an informal video interview on a trade show floor. Most kind of realize "barring tech difficulty" is implied in any technology that is not released yet.

So sure TiVo messed up on the original S3 and some folks dropped a lot of cash on that S3. Understandable to be upset. Is that making it OK to grill a TiVo rep who is helping other folks with a Premiere issue? Absolutely not.
  13. Videodrome

Videodrome tivo - please wait..

Jun 20, 2008
    Users of media center might disagree with you on that .
  14. gweempose

gweempose Active Member

Mar 23, 2003
    Does Netflix via PlayON support HD streams?
  15. dianebrat

dianebrat Uncontrolled Force

Jul 6, 2002
    They didn't "have their feelings hurt" they were viciously and blatantly attacked in a thread where it was inappropriate, if I were them I wouldn't come back either. The behavior of the attackers was completely uncalled for and not the way I would hope TCF folks behave in public in the real world.

16. innocentfreak

innocentfreak New Member

Aug 25, 2001
    and unforunately this place is more like the wild west these days.
  17. gweempose

gweempose Active Member

Mar 23, 2003
    Yep. It's sad that some people simply don't know how to behave themselves in a public forum.
  18. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
  19. MickeS

MickeS New Member

Dec 26, 2002
  20. thespacepope72

thespacepope72 New Member

Jan 25, 2005
    A S3 with DLNA would be the best thing to happen to TV since TiVo invented the DVR.