1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Comcast on Demand working for anybody?

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by Gadfly, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Gadfly

Gadfly New Member

Oct 27, 2007
    The premier that is hosting the mini works with Comcast on Demand just fine. I am using 1Gbps Ethernet for connecting Mini to my home network.

The first time I tried Comcast On Demand on the mini, it listed the shows just fine but when I tried to play one, I got an error that it has run into some error and I should try later. (no, I did not write down the error).

Just to make sure On Demand is working, I went to premier, watched a couple on Demand shows and then came back to mini and this time I can't even get the listings. I get an error with some reference what seems to be a server address with some TiVo and Comcast in the name. And then it asks me to call my service provider.

But knowing how clueless Comcast tech support is, I am not going to bother. They are going to ask me if I have a Comcast DVR and claim that I must have a Comcast DVR in order to get on Demand and I am sure they have not heard of Mini.

So, anybody got their mini working with On Demand?

2. Gadfly

Gadfly New Member

Oct 27, 2007
    Ok, so I tried again and it went back to the first error I was getting after choosing a show to watch.

Service Error
    We're sorry. We cannot process your order at this time.
    Please try again. If problem persists please call
    1-800-XFINITY (1-800-934-6489). Reference (SRM-*) when
    calling. The local code is (tivocrd-cmc-a2p.comcast.com).

It's almost 3 AM. I will call them tomorrow even though I have very little hope Comcast would be of any help.

3. muerte33

muerte33 New Member

Jul 4, 2008
    I gave up waiting for them to enable Xfinity Ondemand on my Tivo Premiere XL4 in my area, and bought a Rikomagic MK802IIIS off ebay.
    This device runs Android 4.1.1
    I then installed the Comcast XFINITY TV app on it, and I now have Comcast Ondemand!

4. compnurd

compnurd New Member

Oct 6, 2011
    Not sure what that has to do with the issue here but Someone in another post did have there On demand working

5. jmpage2

jmpage2 New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    I just tested it, and it works fine.

Do you have a tuner allocated for your Minis? I expect you need one since the stream is actually coming from your 4-tuner TiVo. The Mini itself is not getting on demand directly, it is simply pulling it via your TiVo that has a Comcast cable card. It may or may not need a tuner slot to send this to the Mini.

Also, verify that On Demand is working on the main TiVo. If you haven't used On Demand in a while, the TiVo needs to go out and re-authenticate with Comcast for On Demand. In my case, I had not used On Demand in quite a while, and when watching a show I would see the error you reported for just a second and then the On Demand menu would come up and everything worked normally.

6. Gadfly

Gadfly New Member

Oct 27, 2007
    You were right. It needed a tuner assigned which I didn't bother to do because I have a Tivo HD sitting next to where the Mini is.

I am getting another Mini for my office (no Tivo there) and I had to assign a tuner for remote live viewing anyway. I assume as long as I don't use both Minis for something that needs a tuner (live tv or on-demand) -at the same time-, I should be fine. Right?

7. jmpage2

jmpage2 New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    Yes, that is how I would expect it to work.

8. SMcCormack

SMcCormack New Member

Oct 9, 2002
    Concord, CA
    Works fine here (I have a tuner assigned to the mini) but I have noticed that Comcast frequently has outages in the middle of the night with the on-demand feature. The error on the tivo doesn't provide enough info to diagnose and I'll bet the tech support at comcast doesn't have the ability to shed any light on it but I suspect either they are doing maintenance or there are so many people using on-demand at that moment there are no channels available.

9. jmpage2

jmpage2 New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    He didn't have a tuner on his elite available for remote viewing, that's why it wasn't working.

10. tivoboy

tivoboy Member

Jan 14, 2002
    SFO
    I'm having this exact problem. The On demand works fine on the XL4 in the LR, but the mini in the BR throws exactly the same error as Gadfly up above,

Anyone know how to either reset or re-enable it on the tivo mini?

11. Gadfly

Gadfly New Member

Oct 27, 2007
    Do you have a tuner allocated to mini? In my case allocating a tuner solved the problem.

12. lgnad

lgnad Pantless Mofo

Feb 14, 2013
    Massachusetts
    Sometimes I've had to back out of the On Demand and go back in once or twice to get it to actually start streaming the show. Once, I had to actually reboot my XL4 to get it to work again.

13. lgnad

lgnad Pantless Mofo

Feb 14, 2013
    Massachusetts
    That would be perfect... if they allowed all of the shows to stream through apps. :( Streaming is still missing all of the big networks, as well as lots of other stuff.. supposedly they are in the middle of negotiating with all of the networks to remove the restriction.

Hell, they own NBC, and although it recently showed up in the app, theres just a bunch of crap in there. Though, I guess some would argue most of their shows are crap! lol

14. tivoboy

tivoboy Member

Jan 14, 2002
    SFO
    yes, I have one tuner allocated to the mini

15. lgnad

lgnad Pantless Mofo

Feb 14, 2013
    Massachusetts
    As noted in the thread in the main forum, Xfinity on Demand appears to be down right now.

16. supasta

supasta New Member

May 6, 2006
    Colorado
    No issues here.

17. zalusky

zalusky Active Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    Never had a problem and we have doing quite a bit lately.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

18. BetterYeti

BetterYeti Looks like chicken.

Aug 24, 2004
    Was working Saturday, but stopped yesterday. From other thread, seems mostly Boston area, but not exclusively. I'm just outside Boston. Comcast is clueless about it.

19. lgnad

lgnad Pantless Mofo

Feb 14, 2013
    Massachusetts
    yay! its back up for me now finally... on the south shore.

20. Bigg

Bigg Active Member

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    That's a different service with a subset of the content available through the real XOD. My SA system doesn't have XOD, and the show about the '80s that was on Nat Geo recently is available on real XOD, but not online. So TPB it is. A few hours later, I've got it. Way to go Comcast! At least my torrent downloads are ridonkulously fast on Comcast! :rolleyes: