1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is anyone fixing the SA Card issues?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by rcr2, Mar 16, 2007.

1. rcr2

rcr2 It's you, not me.

Feb 3, 2007
    Monmouth...
    So, I'm in Comcast, Central NJ. They use SA cable cards. I have been reading this forum since last year, and a lot of people have a particular problem where, for no apparent reason, one of the cards (or both) flip from Authorized to "CP Auth Failed", resulting in only the basic, non-encrypted channels whatever service they belong to being accessible.

I was hoping I'd be an exception, but after 2 clear days, it began happening to me, now going on a month.

This seems to hold across Cablevision, Comcast, and whoever else uses SA cards.

I was told by TiVoJerry that this is a known issue, but they haven't been able to figure out what is going on.

Since this has been happening for over 6 months, I would have figured someone would have figured this out by now and done something about it.

I'm tired of rebooting my machine daily (by pulling out the plug after reaching behind my rack set-up, or reseating the card (after going into the menus to figure out which card is failed, since there is no indication of which tuner is on anywhere else).

There must be a good amount of people with SA cards, so how about someone fix this?

2. dbenrosen

dbenrosen New Member

Sep 20, 2003
    New Jersey
    You can reboot the S3 from the menus instead of having to pull the plug. That is how I reboot mine when I have the problem, which is fairly often (I have Cablevision with SA cards).

I think the delay in getting the cause identified and then fixed has to do with the different parties involved. This is not just a TiVo problem. They have to work with SA and the cable company to identify what is causing the problem. Only TiVo really has a HUGE interest in getting this corrected quickly. The cable companies might have some interest, and SA would have even less. Unless the cable company threatens to drop SA altogether, which is probably pretty difficult since I know Cablevision in my area uses SA exclusively, there is no pressure for SA to play nicely to resolve this.

3. rdrrepair

rdrrepair You can call me Bill

Nov 24, 2006
    845 New York
    Time Warner Cable in Newburgh, New York. I am using SA cable Cards and report zero issues - Maybe TW over here has it figured out...

4. Peter000

Peter000 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN
    I'm having this problem NOW. And no amount of rebooting or reseating solves the problem :(

TW NYC

5. hornblowercat

hornblowercat New Member

Mar 4, 2007
    In The Good...
    I have SA cards, I had some issues in not receiving a couple of stations but I was lucky to get a contact in head end who worked on it with myself and another person in the area.

I can't say it was a card issue but it got fixed with help from head end.

6. PHILBX

PHILBX New Member

Jul 1, 2006
    I have the SA cards via CableVision and have had the "CP authorization failed" problem several times. Reseating the card (it always happens to the same card) and rebooting has always fixed the problem. The weird thing is the problem seems to be provoked by physically jiggling the TIVO as when someone is dusting the equipment rack. CableVision has offered to swap the card if I get a hard failure but I suspect the TIVO.

7. hornblowercat

hornblowercat New Member

Mar 4, 2007
    In The Good...
    If you suspect TiVo then what are you waiting for? Your warranty to expire?

Send it back and get some new cable cards and see what happens. That way you will know it it is your unit or the cards.

8. SCSIRAID

SCSIRAID Active Member

Feb 2, 2003
    Vero Beach, FL
    Same for me in Raleigh. SA Cablecards have been fine since September.

9. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    My 6 SA cards have been fine since December.

10. Frankenstien

Frankenstien New Member

Feb 8, 2006
    Charlotte, NC
    I have had the CP Auth problem with one of my 2 SA CableCards. Card 1 works fine, I am on my second card for 2.

Reboot seems to fix it for a little while. Problems in higher digital channels only.

11. slrdc

slrdc New Member

Mar 7, 2007
    Washington, DC
    You all should keep track of the firmware version of the cable cards as shown on CableCard Status screen. Maybe aaronwt and rdrrepair have a different version than the rest of you that works?

12. SCSIRAID

SCSIRAID Active Member

Feb 2, 2003
    Vero Beach, FL
    Mine is 2.3.149s2 and is dated May 2, 2005. TWC says that is the right version.

13. slimoli

slimoli New Member

Jul 29, 2005

It is not. My last card is 2.3.149S.3 and is dated February 2007. This is the card on my Mitsubishi TV that has CP Waiting for authorization despite working with all channels including premiums. The 2 cards on the S3 are still 2.3.149S2.

Sergio

14. JoN8282

JoN8282 New Member

Feb 26, 2005
    i have two s3's (4 cards) one tivo never had a problem, one had cp auth failure fixable by reboot on one card. 8.1 update appears to have fixed this issue for me :)

15. hornblowercat

hornblowercat New Member

Mar 4, 2007
    In The Good...
    I don't see why the date would be important so long as the version is the same. It's still the latest release just with different time stamps.

When my cards were installed in October 06 they were the "latest" and had the same info as SCSIRAID. If you got newer cards they probably have produced a new batch with demand. I recall there were some areas that were telling people they didn't have cards for a while back a couple of months or so ago.

16. SCSIRAID

SCSIRAID Active Member

Feb 2, 2003
    Vero Beach, FL
    But the version isnt the same... he has 2.3.149s.3 instead of 2.3.149s2.

17. hornblowercat

hornblowercat New Member

Mar 4, 2007
    In The Good...
    Whoops. I guess I should have looked a bit closer. So what does this mean, we all call and demand newer versions of our cable cards?

I have noticed a very minor issue occasionally on my S3. What happens is the image will freeze for a couple of seconds, then unfreeze with no sound. If I hit pause, or just rewind to the freeze the sound is there so recording wise it's not an issue.

Just something I've noticed as of late. Happens very rarely. And I think only while watching the local news in HD.

18. rcr2

rcr2 It's you, not me.

Feb 3, 2007
    Monmouth...
    I'll have to check the version numbers.

Funny thing - I got a firmware update on one card, and it hasn't gone CP Auth Fail for the past few days, while the other card continues to do so.

I'll check when I get home and make an update.

19. PHILBX

PHILBX New Member

Jul 1, 2006
    HORNBLOWERCARD
    I took your advice and called TIVO. To my surprise the CSR, after a short consult with someone, agreed to send replacement. I didn't whine, threaten, just described the problem. I did ask her if this was a known problem-CC's coming loose-she didn't know or wouldn't tell. I'll update when the replacement gets here.

20. joe warner

joe warner New Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Granbury, TX
    Both my SA cards all read "Waiting for CP Auth". I receive all my channels both basic and premium . I've been through 3 new TiVo's and 16 SA cards and all read the same..."Waiting for CP Auth" Charter says that both cards look good and show "PAIRED". Charter says that after a few days I will lose my premium channels as the cards pole the server periodically and when the server sees that "CP Authorization" has not been received (even though it shows paired on their end) the card will quit processing premium channels. This has happened twice to me and I had to call Charter dispatch and have then re authorize/Pair both cards. Not sure if there is a certain Rev number or date I need to look for or if this is just a SA/TiVo problem. I have a sony DHG HDD500 PVR That uses a SA cable card the same CP screen status is "CP Auth Received". So this must me some inconsistency between TiVo and Scientific Atlanta". Anyone have a idea as to the cause????