1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ir iremote nstead of rf

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by RusRus, Oct 27, 2013.

1. RusRus

RusRus New Member

Apr 8, 2013
    Chula Vista, CA
    I want to use my glo learning remote with my new coming soon Roamio. Do I have to do anything to begin using it as an IR remote to control my Roamio, TV and sound bar as I now do with my HD DVR
    ?

2. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Don't need to do anything, will work fine out of the box.

3. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    No, the Roamio listens to IR and to a connected RF remote (at the same time if you want).

4. RusRus

RusRus New Member

Apr 8, 2013
    Chula Vista, CA
    But I don't ever plan on using the Roamio RF remote.

5. markp99

markp99 TakoKichi TCF Club

Mar 21, 2002
    Nashua, NH
    No problem. Just use the Glo and you'll be fine.

I had the same thought, but kind of like the new, smaller IR remote and actually made the switch, even with the Guide button in a new location. :)

6. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    The only bad thing about using an IR remote is that the IR reception on the Roamio is not that good. At least not when compared to previous TiVos. With Previous TiVos I could point the remote in any direction and the TiVo would receive it. Even pointed at the floor behind the couch. With the Roamio though, it has a narrow angle of reception.

I tried it out again with my Harmony One last night. I would not be able to use that remote on a regular basis because I needed to point it in the general direction of the Roamio. With previous TiVos I rarely pointed it toward the front of the room. But fortunately I also have silde remotes for my Roamio and Minis which are RF so I will continue to use those and only deal with IR as a last resort on my Roamio Pro.

7. kbmb

kbmb Active Member

Jun 22, 2004
    NH
    I ended up ordering the Tivo IR adapter to expand the IR coverage using my Harmony remote. I really didn't want to always grab two remotes to turn my TV and receiver on and make sure they are in the correct more, and then the Tivo remote just to get decent coverage.

-Kevin

8. RusRus

RusRus New Member

Apr 8, 2013
    Chula Vista, CA
    If I understand correctly the Roamio remote will operate my TV through IR and operate my Roamio through RF at the same time.

Wouldn't this setup make using an IR extender unnecessary?

9. nws alpine

nws alpine New Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Harmony would be needed if you rely on macros. I am dumping my Harmony one as the Roamio RF is great. I don't need to switch inputs anymore as I don't need a second source. The roamio is programed to turn on my TV and sound system with the power button.

I will be getting the slide pro eventually and move to Roamio remote to the Mini with the dongle.

10. Icarus

Icarus New Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Upcountry...
    That's correct.

-David

11. kbmb

kbmb Active Member

Jun 22, 2004
    NH
    If you use the Roamio remote, yes. I said I was using a standard Harmony IR remote.

-Kevin