1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IR Adapter

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by johnw999, Oct 24, 2013.

1. johnw999

johnw999 New Member

Oct 24, 2013
    I bought the IR Adapter for my Series 3. I want to put the tivo in an equipment closet. The Tivo website said that it would work on any unit that has a USB port. Tivo technical service also said that it should work since I have a USB port. The adapter doesn't work, though. A red light in the adapter flashes everytime I push a button on my remote, but the tivo doesn't respond. The instructions also say that the adapter is for a Series 4 (I didn't have that info until I got the actual unit). So, I'm guessing that the Series 3 software simply doesn't support the IR adapter. Has anyone had success with it?

2. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    If you bought it directly from TiVo, tell them it doesn't work, even though they said it would, and that you need to return it for a full refund.

Don't let them get away with being sloppy like that.

3. pmiranda

pmiranda New Member

Feb 12, 2003
    Austin, TX
    After you get your money back, order a HotLink IR repeater. It'll work for your TiVo and several other pieces of equipment and I love mine.

4. bobdec01

bobdec01 New Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Same story.. Installed mine yesterday. Kick myself for not searching forums first.. Indicator blinks but no changes on the DVR, did notice that the numeric buttons work, nothing else. HD said they are supposed to work, but he gets calls from customers that say they don't work on the Series 3 HD. Apparently the Help Desk has no communication channel to sales to update their documentation.
    Sorry about the rant.. off to see how to get my money back..

5. steinercat

steinercat New Member

Nov 16, 2007
    same boat.

Customer support said it would work. :(

What are the other alternatives to the IR adapter?

6. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    See right above you a couple of comments where pmiranda said "IR repeater"?

That's a thing that takes in the infrared pulses from the remote at one end (that's out in the room where you can see it and it can see the remote), converts them into an electrical signal, sends that signal down the wire to the other end (stuck inside the cabinet where the device you want to control is and can see that other end), where it converts the signal back to IR and sends it out just like it was the front end of your remote.

No USB involved--as far as your TiVo is concerned, or can tell, that stream of IR pulses is coming straight from the end of your remote, which means it doesn't need some little program in the TiVo software (which apparently S3s don't have) sitting there watching the USB port traffic waiting for something it can translate back into signals from the remote.

And you can put other stuff inside that cabinet and relay the signal from its remote with an IR repeater as well, as long as you get the type that doesn't expect to be taped right over the IR window of a particular device but sends out a fairly strong beam that's not too narrow.

7. steinercat

steinercat New Member

Nov 16, 2007