1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iOS Tivo App Update - Lesser Known Features

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by dmarzo2, Oct 26, 2013.

1. dmarzo2

dmarzo2 New Member

Jan 11, 2013
    Apologize right off the bat if I am posting in wrong forum....I figure this is best place since app update is driven towards Roamio Stream functions.

I know the big thing is the out of home streaming...but anyone noticing smaller things. For instance:

- 1. I may be imagining things but is background downloading now possible?

- 2. I see there is a third level of streaming and recording quality - must be to facilitate out of home streaming

- 3. Is the downloading of shows now more fault tolerant (it has been the case that as soon as a download is interrupted by network traffic, the whole thing times out and you have to restart)

- Anything else?

On 1 and 3: these are probably more wishful thinking on my part: but just curious as to what others may be seeing

2. dmarzo2

dmarzo2 New Member

Jan 11, 2013
    I'll profess to being an idiot on issue #1 - it's easy enough to test. I did some short burst tests (I.e., going to another app and then quickly returning to the TiVO app) and I thought the download continued to progress. But I did a longer test and I do think it stopped downloading until I returned to the TiVO app. Bummer.

3. geekmedic

geekmedic TiVo Fanatic TCF Club

Apr 4, 2003
    Atlanta, GA USA
    Whenever I download a show, it stops downloading as soon as my ipad automatically turns off after inactivity. I thought it was supposed to continue downloading.

4. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    There is an Apple imposed limit of 10 minutes of background downloads before the app times out. Something changed in iOS7 where an app can be reawaken at a set interval but it's still not full fledged multi-tasking.