1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iOS Remote App Not Working After Privacy Opt-In

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by ginginlala, Apr 6, 2012.

  1. ginginlala

    ginginlala New Member

    38
    0
    Jul 15, 2011
    So, weirdness. I decided to opt-in to the TiVo community panel thing, which required me to change my TiVo privacy settings. No objections to hat, I don't really care if anybody sees what I watch on TV.

    Odd thing is, ever since then, my iOS remote apps do not work. They claim my TiVo is not set up to receive remote commands. I go through the steps in the app to rectify this situation and, of course, the TiVo IS set up to receive remote commands, etc. It always has been.

    Additionally, when I opted-in, tivo.com lost the name of my DVR. I had to re-enter it. Perhaps that is related.

    Anybody else having this problem?
     
  2. wmcbrine

    wmcbrine Ziphead

    10,441
    55
    Aug 2, 2003
    Yeah, I opted-in Thursday night so I could use the Season Pass manager, and on Friday, all my TiVos started losing their names (reverting to the DVR-xxxx defaults). They appeared blank on the page where I could set the names, and although I reset them, and the site seemed to retain them, they all showed up as "N/A" in the Season Pass manager. ... Hmm, actually I checked again just now, and the names are there. Maybe this is fixed?

    I don't know if it was related to the opt-in, or if that was just a coincidence of timing. There's some other discussion of the problem here:

    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=485425
     
  3. wmcbrine

    wmcbrine Ziphead

    10,441
    55
    Aug 2, 2003
    Nope, not fixed -- the names are staying set on tivo.com, but they're not getting back to my TiVos, even after I force the daily calls. I can't get the Season Pass manager to work, either -- it shows them as being copied, but they aren't showing up on the new TiVo, even after waiting overnight.
     
  4. wmcbrine

    wmcbrine Ziphead

    10,441
    55
    Aug 2, 2003
    This is resolved now for me, after I reset the names once, then once again for the new TiVo I set up on Friday (the third time I set its name). With a curious side effect: The names are displayed correctly in most contexts, but not in my TCP/IP remote. (More technically: The Zeroconf announcements of the _tivo-device, _tivo-mindrpc, _tivo-videos, and _tivo-videostream services are all using the proper names now, while _tivo-remote as well as _http are still using DVR-xxxx names.) I'm guessing this will be fixed after a restart.
     

Share This Page