1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Introducing TiVo Search!

Discussion in 'TiVo Search Feedback - Beta Release (Archive)' started by TiVoPony, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Jan 7, 2009 #1 of 36
    TiVoPony

TiVoPony New Member

May 11, 2002
    Alviso,...
    Hi all!

Well, this is fun - I get to introduce you all to a new part of the TiVo Service. It's called TiVo Search, and it's a big step forward in finding and discovering new programs to watch. :)

Think of this as the next generation of search from TiVo - it's all in HD, and broadband and broadcast are integrated into a common interface. But that's just the tip of the iceberg.

You'll find an all-new interface, completely redesigned in HD to give you more information quickly and easily. Search results take into account the popularity of programs and actors - type a single letter and you'll see the most popular matches listed first. HD airings and channels are given preference, it's simple to record your favorite shows in high definition. Graphics? There are actor photos, show photos, logos, movie posters...you're going to see a lot of graphics and images in the new interface. Find a favorite show - you can bring up all of the YouTube videos related to that program (it's like having DVD bonus features for everything on TV). Searching for that specific episode of a program? You can browse the new episode guide menu and choose to record just the episodes you want. You can even set up a Wishlist Search to record that episode the next time it airs. And lots of new ways to get recommendations of similar programs you might enjoy (notice that bar of images at the top of the screen? That's the discovery bar!).

There's a lot of new things to explore. :)

This is such a step forward that we want to get your feedback on it. So we're introducing TiVo Search as a beta feature. You'll find it listed under the Music, Photos & Showcases menu item on TiVo Central. We've set up two ways for you to share feedback with us. The first is via email (the first screen of TiVo Search gives you the details). The team here will be tracking those emails, it's a great way to get your feedback directly to the people building the product.

The other way is via the tivocommunity forum. TiVoCommunity has been a great resource for us over the years, and we've worked with them to add an additional forum area here specifically to discuss the new TiVo Search feature. This is the place to share your thoughts with other TiVo subscribers. Of course TiVo employees read the boards here as well, and I'm happy to be able to introduce a few new faces from TiVo - these are people deep in the development of this feature. Please give a welcome to TiVoPep, TiVoJerryG, TiVoAmber, and TiVoDataGuy (ok, TiVoDataGuy has been around for a long time...I'm pressing him back into regular service). Each has a different area of responsibility on the project - TiVoPep has a key UI role on the team, TiVoJerryG is the guy for general architecture, TiVoDataGuy for guide data and images and anything service related, and TiVoAmber and myself for general stuff (I own the roadmap - don't ask, I'm not telling). ;)

We hope you'll enjoy TiVo Search and look forward to both your feedback and the discussions to come. Have fun!

Pony

2. Jan 7, 2009 #2 of 36
    ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    Very Nice idea this forum is. It is like I just joined TCF all over again. :) looking forward to seeing the search and talking details. :up:

3. Jan 7, 2009 #3 of 36
    TiVoPony

TiVoPony New Member

May 11, 2002
    Alviso,...
    A couple of additional notes -

The TiVo Search menus are all authored in high definition - they're designed to take advantage of the extra real estate HD screens afford. As a result the TiVo Search beta is only available to Series3 and TiVo HD DVR's. The Series2 DVR's cannot display high definition content, whether it's your favorite shows or the TiVo Search hi def menus.

TiVo Search also gains a lot of it's power via the TiVo Service. In order to use TiVo Search the service needs to be aware of some of the information on your box (for instance the items in your Now Playing List, or the thumb ratings you've given specific shows). As a result, you must have a privacy status of 'opt-in' to use TiVo Search. You can switch to opt-in status right on the box, you'll be prompted the first time you click on the TiVo Search menu item. If you choose not to change to opt-in you'll still have the original standard definition Swivel Search, but you won't be able to experience any of the shiny new features of TiVo Search. We don't use your personal information for any nefarious purposes, but TiVo Search does make use of that data up on our servers in providing you this feature.

And finally, TiVo Search is not compatible at this point with parental controls. If you're using parental controls you'll have to turn them off in order to access TiVo Search. There are some features within TiVo Search that allow the playback of programs, and without the ability to respect those parental control settings in this beta release we've chosen to err on the side of making them mutually exclusive. Otherwise we'd be offering a simple workaround to parental controls for those ingenious kids out there. :)

Cheers,
    Pony

4. Jan 7, 2009 #4 of 36
    richsadams

richsadams Active Member

Jan 4, 2003
  5. Jan 7, 2009 #5 of 36
    aindik

aindik Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2002
    Philadelphia...
    If I tell my TiVoHD that I have a 4:3 smart screen TV and set output mode to Native, will I get the new TiVo Search? In what resolution?

6. Jan 7, 2009 #6 of 36
    timckelley

timckelley TCFer

Oct 15, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I have a TiVoHD, but it's hooked up to an old style, nonHD TV. I assume I still get access to these features.

7. Jan 7, 2009 #7 of 36
    TiVoPep

TiVoPep New Member

Jan 6, 2009
    Hello, everyone, and thanks, Pony, for the intro. I'm happy to be here, and I look forward to being part of some good, insightful discussion on the user interface design of TiVo Search.

8. Jan 7, 2009 #8 of 36
    Sapphire

Sapphire Xtal substance

Sep 9, 2002
    New Jersey
    Oh. My. God.

This sounds like it will be mind blowing. Can't wait to get home later to try it!

Thanks Pony!

9. Jan 7, 2009 #9 of 36
    matt@thehickmans

matt@thehickmans Hemo_jr

Jan 8, 2008
    I think this is a excellent strategy for TiVo to introduce its new interface. There is a great opportunity to make this UI solid as part of the search engine prior to adapting the interface to other areas.

10. Larry in TN

Larry in TN New Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    Pony,

Can you share any information regarding how the new search will eventually be integrated into the TiVo user interface? i.e. will it be a choice in the find programs menu or something like that?

11. TiVoJerryG

TiVoJerryG New Member

Jan 6, 2009
    Alviso, CA
    Just realized I haven't said hello yet... Thanks for the intro, Pony...

While I'm a new face here, I'm certainly not new to TiVo. According to MMA, I've been a TiVo Fanboy since I activated my original Lifetime Philips Series1 box back in early 2000. I don't know what took my a whole year from when the first TiVo box shipped until I got one for myself. While I sold that box to a friend, it's still up an running to this day (mod a few hard drive upgrades/replacements). Today, I have too many boxes at home to count, but most are attached to one TV.

I jumped when I had a chance to join the TiVo team, and now I've been working here just shy of 5 years. We have a great team of engineers that have been working their ***s off to develop this cool feature. I'm proud to be here representing all of them.

And, one more thing. Don't confuse me - "TiVoJerry*G*", with "TiVoJerry." I'm a developer and "the other Jerry" (as I call him) is our TiVo CS Engineer extraordinaire. You should see the confusion when we sit next to each other in meetings.

Have fun with TiVo Search!

12. aindik

aindik Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2002
    Philadelphia...
    Answering my own question, it outputs in 480i. Which it shouldn't, if the Settings UI is to be believed. The UI says 4:3 smart screen is "4:3 SD, 16:9 HD." This menu is HD, so it should be sent in its native resolution.

13. Adam1115

Adam1115 20,000!!! TCF Club

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver ish
    Hmm... "Please Wait..." for five minutes.

Second time it came up... slloooowwwww...

14. Adam1115

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver ish
    And tried to make a seaon pass.. "An error occurred" with a bunch of code.

Guess I'll check back in a few months when this thing is ready...

15. TiVoJerryG

TiVoJerryG New Member

Jan 6, 2009
    Alviso, CA
    Can you post what the "bunch of code" was? That would be helpful in trying to figure out what problem you're encountering.

16. Adam1115

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver ish
    Well I already cleared it and recreated it through normal search.

17. Adam1115

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver ish
    Ok went back, after 5 minuties of "Please wait" it dropped to live tv. Went back again, put in "Friday night lights", upcoming, arrow, get a season pass, options, first-run, record with these options.

It TOOK it. Now I have two, identical season passes. Does the TiVo Search not let you know if you already have a season pass? Or if there are conflicts?

18. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Tried several times tonight (9-10pm PST) and couldn't get in. I couldn't get into Netflix streaming either so looks like the HME server(s) must be down...
    It was pretty obvious during Netflix launch that HME servers had capacity issues, so probably this addition and initial interest probably pushed servers to their limits again.

EDIT: Just tried launching Netflix again and this time actually got an error message instead of just endless Please Wait:

19. Adam1115

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver ish
    Had the same problem last night... :mad:

20. Adam1115

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver ish
    You don't, just got to Music Photos and More (or whatever) and you'll see it.