1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interview with Cox COO not good for TiVo

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Johncv, Jun 29, 2012.

1. Johncv

Johncv Active Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Chula Vista, CA
    This interview with Cox COO did not sound very promising for TiVo:

http://www.fiercecable.com/story/cox-coo-jill-campbell-details-strategy-right-sizing-cable-subscribers/2012-06-28?utm_medium=nl&utm_source=internal

I have to add the interviewer did not ask any REAL questions regarding the use of TiVo in light of TiVo success with VM and RCN. Which is the type of questions I would have ask. It did touch on using larger hard drive 1TB or more, which the stupid women “blew off” saying customer are happy with 500GB, really? Oh and looking at six-tuner DVR from…wait for it…Motorola. :p

Hope TiVo win the lawsuit against Cissco and then move over seas look like that the only why TiVo going to make money.

2. cannonz

cannonz Active Member

Oct 22, 2011
    The TV economy package is a good idea.

3. farmermac

farmermac Recorder of shows

Jan 31, 2012
    She sounds smart to me. Lets see...who has a better idea on what the average cable customer needs/wants... Someone with almost 30 years experience with cox or some weirdo on a tivo forum that cant spell. She's right on that the average person doesn't care. A 500gb Motorola box will suck but Motorola will crank them out at a decent price in large quantities and be willing to work with cable companies to make them actually work (on demand hasn't been an issue for years). Tivo is just getting around to doing after 12 years in the business.

4. Jul 1, 2012 #4 of 12
    jfh3

jfh3 New Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    Umm, TiVo is just now beginning to support VOD because some MSOs are letting them. It's not that TiVo hasn't wanted to support the cable companies VOD; it's because the cable companies have done everything in their power to keep TiVo (and others) from playing in their sandbox.

5. Jul 1, 2012 #5 of 12
    mikeyts

mikeyts Stream Warrior

Jul 10, 2004
    San Diego,...
    In what way was this interview not good for TiVo? In the sense that they weren't considering deploying TiVo hardware/software to their customers? If so, was it anticipated that they would?

6. Jul 1, 2012 #6 of 12
    CoxInPHX

CoxInPHX COX Communications

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    I believe the OP was referring to the fact that neither the interviewer nor Cox COO, Jill Campbell, even mentioned the August 2010 Cox/TiVo VOD announcement, that most Cox TiVo owners are waiting to hear something about. An agreement very similar to the Comcast/TiVo agreement.

http://cox.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=517
    Press Release, August 12, 2010:
    Cox Communications To Promote TiVo Premiere With Cox VOD Service To Its Subscribers
    Cox Plans to Promote TiVo Premiere, Offer the TiVo Solution Through its Call Centers, and Provide Free Installation
    First-Ever Integration of Cox On DEMAND service in a Retail Device to Provide A Full Service Cable Solution Along with Broadband Content

"As part of the agreement, Cox will promote TiVo Premiere to its subscribers, support TiVo Premiere as an optional set-top, and provide free installation for TiVo Premiere boxes purchased by subscribers at Best Buy and other retail and online outlets including TiVo’s own website."

7. Jul 1, 2012 #7 of 12
    sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Agreed. From my perspective its probably TiVo's decision not to have the Cox project as a priority at this point. Adding VOD support for $4.7M Cox users would be beneficial to TiVo but I'm sure it falls much lower on the priority list than enabling VOD in Comcast's 15 largest markets.

http://www.ncta.com/Stats/TopMSOs.aspx/

8. Jul 1, 2012 #8 of 12
    aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I wish they would make a deal with Verizon.

9. Jul 1, 2012 #9 of 12
    sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I think that is a possibility once they settle the lawsuit. The trial is currently scheduled for later this year but I think a settlement is still a possibility. I would hope that any settlement would give access to Verizon VOD for TiVo subscribers.

10. ajwees41

ajwees41 Active Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE
    that would do no good on cox unless they updated the firmware to see the whole 500GB Motorola drive which they really don't need to do since they are using Cisco for the Whole dvr even in Motorola markets.

and to say most cox customers like the whole dvr might be pushing it.

11. ajwees41

ajwees41 Active Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE

let's see if I get a response. I just emailed him to ask Jill about ondemand via Tivo.

12. curiousgeorge

curiousgeorge New Member

Nov 28, 2002