1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

internet video buffer

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by bobdole888, Jan 29, 2013.

1. bobdole888

bobdole888 New Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Is there anyway to increase the buffer size on internet video viewing like you tube?
    My internet is not fast enough, so if I try to watch HD internet video, it's very choppy. If I can put it on pause for a few minutes and let it buffer, then viewing it wouldn't be so choppy. However, it seems that Tivo would only buffer a small amount. So if I pause for 10 sec, vs. 3 minuts, it's still the same amount of video buffered.
  2. L David Matheny

L David Matheny Active Member

Jan 29, 2011
    SE Ohio
    The size of the buffer for streaming from the Internet is surely a function of the application (for Netflix or YouTube or whatever). I doubt that you can change it. I find it irritating also, especially since I think the old YouTube application would keep buffering for pretty much as long as you paused it. Actually, now that I think about it, it could be a server problem.
  3. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Active Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    I feel your pain, many times HD streams from YouTube are not watchable for me. So I mostly just downloading the HD files via my computer. I have ended up with a nice collection of music videos because of that. But then I have a computer attached to my TV so no issues getting the video onto my TV's screen.
  4. PCurry57

PCurry57 Liberal Hippie Chick

Feb 27, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    This is a real problem for those who use Clear. Thankfully I go off contract in June and I'll be switching to cable. With desktop and laptops it's possible to set YouTube to pre buffer, this seeing is even available on my tablet and smartphone. Perhaps a future version of the YouTube client will add this on TiVo's
  5. jcthorne

jcthorne Active Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Trouble is, the YouTube app USED to work and buffer properly. The lastest version while prettier, is functionally broken and unusable for a large portion of its intended audiance. Not everyone has or needs a 1terabit internet connection to the home. A simple buffer would have it working fine.