1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Internal and external Streams

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by jfh3, Aug 20, 2013.

1. jfh3

jfh3 New Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    Is there a benefit to having an external Stream unit with a Roamio Pro on a network with Premieres? I will have three, possibly four minis.

Not sure I see any benefit to keeping the standalone box in my case.

2. bayern_fan

bayern_fan New Member

Aug 11, 2013
    I think you will get the out-of-home streaming update before Roamio Plus/Pro users will see it.

3. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    From what I've heard the internal Stream will act exactly the same as the external one, allowing you to stream shows from an TiVo on your network. So I don't think there is any advantage to having an external one as well. In fact I don't even know if two Streams can coexist on the same network or not. The iPad app auto-detects the Stream so I'm not sure how it would react if it found two.

4. jfh3

jfh3 New Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    Guess I will have to try it when the Roamios arrive.

5. generaltso

generaltso Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Vermont
    I would think it would have to work. If not, it would mean that you could never have two Roamio Plus or Pro boxes on the same network since they would both have Streams built in.

6. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I guess so. But I wonder how the app chooses which one to use? Or if you did have two Plus/Pro units would they always use the Stream built into the one the show is on, or would they use the one connected to the app even if it meant having to stream over the network for it to transcode?

With 6 tuners I doubt many people will have more then one of these so this may not be something they put a lot of effort into.

7. generaltso

generaltso Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Vermont
    Maybe, but I can't imagine they'd want to penalize people for having more than one of the expensive boxes.

8. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I'm not saying it wont work, I'm just saying they may not have put a lot of effort into it. They may just set the app to use the first one it finds regardless.

9. generaltso

generaltso Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Vermont
    I wouldn't be surprised if that were the case.