1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intergrate with Netflix

Discussion in 'TiVo Search Feedback - Beta Release (Archive)' started by TiVo Steve, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Jan 7, 2009 #1 of 30
    TiVo Steve

TiVo Steve New Member

Nov 8, 2005
    Seattle WA.
    It would be very cool if you could add Netflix Watch Instantly!
    :up::up::up:

2. Jan 7, 2009 #2 of 30
    wkearney99

wkearney99 Bill Kearney

Dec 5, 2003
    Bethesda,...
    Uh, it's already there on the HD Tivo units.

3. Jan 7, 2009 #3 of 30
    gonzotek

gonzotek tivo_xml developer

Sep 24, 2004
    Outside...
    In the new beta TiVo Search feature(you know, the one this forum is dedicated to ;) )?. I'm pretty sure you still can't add anything to Netflix Watch Instantly from the TiVo interface, which is what I think TiVo Steve was asking for (and which I, for one, would very much appreciate).

4. Jan 7, 2009 #4 of 30
    Enrique

Enrique Active Member

May 15, 2006
    Big +1 I'm hoping Tivo well add that.

5. Jan 7, 2009 #5 of 30
    ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    Yes, if you can add in Netflix watch instantly choices that would put Tivo ahead of other Netflix streamers.

A browsing app to look over what is available just in Stream instantly options would be more useful to my family though.

6. Jan 7, 2009 #6 of 30
    gonzotek

gonzotek tivo_xml developer

Sep 24, 2004
    Outside...
    I'd want both options, ideally! :)

7. Jan 7, 2009 #7 of 30
    treaty

treaty New Member

Mar 1, 2006
    Agreed - it would be really neat for TiVo to extend the new TiVo search across the Netflix play now library using the Netflix API...

8. Jan 7, 2009 #8 of 30
    TiVoPony

TiVoPony New Member

May 11, 2002
    Alviso,...
    We all agree that it would be cool as well, we all love the Netflix feature here at TiVo too. The Netflix API's have some limitations at this time that makes this level of integration difficult, if not impossible. But it's something that obviously would be useful. :)

Pony

9. Jan 7, 2009 #9 of 30
    Mr Flippant

Mr Flippant Regular User

Jan 2, 2009
    It would be good for Netflix marketing to have their content appear in a search. The more results non Netflix subscribers see the more likely they may be to join. Netflix.com is wasy to search but to have it done on the TV side really makes a lot of sense, I hope they can be convinced to expand their API to include searching functions.

Good luck

10. wgary

wgary New Member

Nov 22, 2003
    Well, I'm a NetFlix user, and would love this. But if you can imagine how many hits there might be from NetFlix, I think this would drive non-NetFlix users nuts. It might even drive users crazy. But I'd love to try!

11. WeBoat

WeBoat New Member

Nov 6, 2002
    SWFL
    I'm wondering since it does search for Amazon rentals, that they may not add netflix because it would detract from the amazon revenue stream. I'm sure they would rather you rent a movie than watch it from your netflix account.

Just a thought.

12. Mr Flippant

Mr Flippant Regular User

Jan 2, 2009
    I am not going to rent from Amazon when I can do so for free with Netflix. I have not used Amazon Unbox and do not intend to as long as I have Netflix. In fact I would prefer to turn off the Amazon results except I would go to Netflix and order it.

13. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Well, Netflix isn't really free is it? ;)
    I get what you're saying and agree 100%.

I already had a Netflix sub when Amazon VOD came along. I considered it a useless feature.

14. treaty

treaty New Member

Mar 1, 2006
    Really? That's a bummer... I can search Netflix and add movies to my cue from an app on my iphone... figured it'd be a snap on the Tivo ;) Guess I'm not surprised to hear the Netflix API has issues though... issues strictly related to the "watch now" content I'd guess?

Thanks for the input Pony.

15. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    Boxee and several iPhone applications (including the free PhoneFlix) all allow users to search the Netflix database and add programs to the queue.

If this is done in an 'unofficial' way, Netflix may frown on commercial products and/or licensees (like TiVo) using the same method. If it were permitted, I suspect both TiVo and Microsoft would have that feature in their existing Netflix apps.

16. DAccardi

DAccardi Tivo Special Member

Oct 26, 2008
    New Jersey
    you must integrate Netflix if you want this to really help. Seriously. Otherwise I just find it to be a glossy tivo search. You should also make a search engine that truly does hold every movie and show ever made. Even if its not on, you should have the power to study any film, also if that film is not coming on, make a feature in the search to say last time it was.

17. DAccardi

Oct 26, 2008
    New Jersey
    The catalog for "watch now" on Netflix is severely limited. If you want to watch Batman Dark Knight on your TivoHD from netflix, your beat. Amazon has it for rent as well as alot more new releases. I signed up for the 8.99 Netflix plan, love it but I can't lie and say the library is awesome. its not.

18. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    True enough, but if I want to see a movie bad enough, I'll put it in my regular queue and get a DVD.
    My point was, why would I want to rent from somewhere else when I'm already paying Netflix.

19. DAccardi

Oct 26, 2008
    New Jersey
    If were talking about instant on, then thats why you would consider Amazon. Strictly for the "now" factor.

20. dylanemcgregor

dylanemcgregor Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 31, 2003
    Corner of...
    Just a quick question to clarify, as I don't currently have a TiVo HD to check, but are you saying that you can't integrate the Netflix Watch Now with the new TiVo search functionality...or that there is no way to search Watch Now from the TiVo at all?

I currently use a plugin to watch Netflix on the Xbox, and I can view my instant queue and select films from that, but I can also search through the entire catalog (both Watch Now and regular DVD) and add a movie to either queue, all directly from the Xbox interface...seems strange if this can't be done on the TiVo.