1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interesting recording failures: multiple tuners on same channel and no video.

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by DaveDFW, Sep 8, 2013.

1. DaveDFW

DaveDFW Member

Jan 25, 2005
    Richardson, TX
    I'm not sure if this is a Roamio Plus/Pro bug or some weird SDV side effect.

Situation: Roamio is tuned to the same channel on multiple tuners.

Observation: Roamio thinks it is recording a program while this single channel is active on multiple tuners. However, the channel being "recorded" indicated by the red circle has only a black screen with no audio. The other tuners on that same channel display normal video and audio.

If I cancel the recording on the "black" tuner channel, the video and audio are restored without having to re-tune, but obviously nothing was recorded. I've seen this at least three times during the last week.

Anyone else?

2. jwbelcher

jwbelcher New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    In the tuning adapter diagnostics I've seen the Tuner Use as: ",Rec" when recording. When the recording stopped there's that small flicker. I bet that's the Tivo telling the TA the recording stopped and subsequently it causes the channel to be re-tuned. just a theory.

3. DaveDFW

DaveDFW Member

Jan 25, 2005
    Richardson, TX
    That could be true, but I'm more concerned about the Roamio seemingly picking the only tuner with no video when multiple tuners are on the same channel and the others display a correct signal.

4. jwbelcher

jwbelcher New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Yea, absolutely. However, this is very interesting. I knew each tuner in the Tivo maps to a Cable Card instance and to a Tuning Adapter session (1-to-1-to-1). Also, its probably safe to assume the channel should've had the same frequency per tuner (1-6). So whats interesting is that the Tivo was unable to tune the same frequency on a different tuner. Either a) the Tivo hardware tuner failed to tune that frequency b) the tuning adapter failed to send the frequency response to Tivo or c) Tivo isn't managing comms to the TA for SDV properly.

Btw, what brand of tuning adapter?

5. DaveDFW

DaveDFW Member

Jan 25, 2005
    Richardson, TX
    Motorola.

6. jwbelcher

jwbelcher New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Mine's Cisco. Maybe option (c) eh.