1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intelligence - Pilot - 1/7/14

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by scandia101, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Jan 8, 2014 #1 of 72
    scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Since nobody else has started a thread that allows spoilers yet...

meh.
    It's not bad.
    I'll give it a couple more episodes but don't hold a lot of hope for it.
    I can imagine that the whole going rogue all the time to find the love of his life could get really old and tiresome very quickly. I don't know him, I certainly don't know her, so I don't give a rat's butt if he finds her.

Was that last scene where the Asian implantee woke up, supposed to take place before or after Gabriel's escape from the operating table?

2. Jan 8, 2014 #2 of 72
    Ereth

Ereth Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Jacksonville...
    I had to laugh at "2040 bit, impregnable", though.

Dan Berenstein wrote a paper over a decade ago about how to break 1024-bit in real time with custom hardware. To think that 2040 would be considered impregnable by anybody who is actually dealing with high-end custom hardware is laughable. Difficult, sure. Time-consuming, probably. Impregnable, nonsense.

3. Jan 8, 2014 #3 of 72
    consumedsoul

consumedsoul Member

Jan 13, 2013
    Was pretty bored most of the show, going to give it one more episode (for some reason I get bored of CBS shows pretty quickly and lose interest)...

4. Jan 8, 2014 #4 of 72
    megory

megory Advanced TiVoOligan

Jan 22, 2003
    BH, South...
    We're on the same page here. Like you, I'll give it a coupla more episodes. There's this searching for theme in a few different shows right now. Boh-ring. So far, it doesn't quite work for me, but this was just the pilot and it's a bit intriguing. We'll see.

5. Jan 8, 2014 #5 of 72
    john4200

john4200 Active Member

Oct 31, 2009
    It depends on the hash function. Just specifying the number of bits is insufficient to determine the cryptographic strength.

SHA-2 (256 or 512 bits) has no known attacks that are currently practical to crack it (nor anything likely in the near future). And there is significant motivation to try to crack SHA-2, since, for example, the NSA uses SHA-2 and also Bitcoins use SHA-2 (specifically, SHA256).

The new(ish) SHA-3 uses fewer than 2040 bits and it also has no known exploits.

So it is conceivable that whatever hash that guy used is basically uncrackable, but just saying it is 2040 bits is not enough to determine how strong it is.

6. Jan 8, 2014 #6 of 72
    moose53

moose53 New Member

Aug 30, 2011
    Y'all did better than me. I lasted 28 minutes ... deleted the show and deleted the season pass.

It reminded me of every other government/agent/whatever show out there. And just couldn't get past the red head changing from CSI to government whatever. I don't really think she fits the part.

I did discover "Justified". Watched the first episode this afternoon. So ... I'm set for awhile.

Barb

7. Jan 8, 2014 #7 of 72
    Ereth

Ereth Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Jacksonville...
    "No known exploits" does not mean "impregnable". Given sufficient time, every algorithm is breakable. As long as P!=NP we are dealing with time in an exceptionally long time frame, but breakthroughs can alter that.

I wouldn't trust SHA-2 very far, either, now that we know that the NSA altered the random number tables to influence how they are picked. There are an awful lot of people who think NSA may well have back-doored it. Just because you and I can't hack it doesn't mean Governments can't. Not a lot of organizations can throw a billion dollars at something. Given the secrecy of this particular project, it's silly to assume it's not going to be attacked by a Government.

I wouldn't even consider 4096 bits "impregnable". Highly difficult. I object to the word "impregnable" by a professional in this field. Not that I think it's easy, mind, you, or even has an attack vector, but professionals don't tend to use words like that.

Given Moores Law, any encryption that we can perform today will likely be breakable in real-time 50 years from now, possibly less.

I just think the wording was sloppy. "Impregnable" is nonsense. "Not breakable in less than 2 decades with current computing equipment" is an answer I would find more likely.

It's TV writing, but it's sloppy TV writing.

8. Jan 8, 2014 #8 of 72
    john4200

john4200 Active Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Heh, let's take the word of the crazy paranoid conspiracy theorists over common sense and understanding of basic cryptography. Back door. You're hilarious! :D

9. Jan 9, 2014 #9 of 72
    smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    Back to the show and away from the cryptography for a moment....

This guy is connected to the Internet, right? All the time. Full access to everything. Right?

If so, how on earth did the government lose him when he was kidnapped?

I was not overly impressed with the pilot. I think they should have spent a little more time doing character development before jumping into a plot about the Chinese trying to implant a second chip. This should have been the s1 cliffhanger finale, not the pilot. It all felt a bit shallow to me.

Eta: mentally, I can't help comparing this series to "almost human" and how much better the latter is. Dorian, while an android, has information technology capabilities similar to the josh halloway character. The weird rendered virtual reality scenes of intelligence are wholly unnecessary. The concept of augmented intelligence isn't so deep that the audience needs such a bold visualization. Too much special affects and too little telling the story through plot and acting.

10. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    not bad enough for me to delete the sp yet, but the ending scene with the tech mole and the new implantee didn't sit right - how could they have escaped? did i miss a scene or fall asleep?

11. Peter000

Peter000 Active Member TCF Club

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN
    I think the writer's missed a scene, or fell asleep.

It was entertaining enough for me, and I like watching it for the eye candy. Kinda like Hawaii Five-O.

But I winced at much of the dialog.

12. john4200

john4200 Active Member

Oct 31, 2009
    I agree that it made no sense. The good guys completely won the battle, they were in control of that entire facility. There is no reason why they would not have secured the woman and the traitor.

13. eddyj

eddyj Señor Member TCF Club

Jun 20, 2002
    South Florida
    Especially since they were trying to get the old chip to swap in her head for the new chip, so she had to be right there too. They pulled that out of their asses.

14. Hoffer

Hoffer Captain Chaos

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    Maybe she wa secured. Did they show where she was? Didn't they basically just show her face and eyes opening. Maybe she is in US custody. She will use her new chip to break out of wherever she is or something.

The more I think about this show, the more I think I'm not going to bother with it. This first episode was pretty bad.

15. eddyj

eddyj Señor Member TCF Club

Jun 20, 2002
    South Florida
    I seemed to be in some kind of grungy place, not what I would expect from a government detention, but more like a hideout. But I have deleted the episode, so I can't check.

16. late for dinner

late for dinner Past Expiration Date

May 17, 2013
    Colorado...
    but they said on the People's Choice Awards that it was America's favorite new show. Pretty bold statement after it aired just one show!

17. Balzer

Balzer Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Yea.. I lasted about a half hour.. bored as well.. deleted the show and the season pass.

18. Vendikarr

Vendikarr New Member

Feb 24, 2004
    If he's connected to the internet, Computer dude could have just fired off an e-mail to let his people know where they were, and a team would have been there in no time.

Unless he was in an electronic footprint dead zone, in which case we should have been told.

19. DavidTigerFan

DavidTigerFan No, not Detroit. TCF Club

Aug 18, 2001
    Charleston, SC
    I liked how the "doc" that invented the chip was also a brain surgeon that could do brain surgery in less than an hour.

20. laria

laria Librocubicularist

Sep 7, 2000
    Seacoast, NH
    It was kind of a snoozer for me. Had a hard time seeing the main actors as anyone but their former characters, especially Dr. Phlox John Billingsley. :) Storyline was pretty "meh". Maybe it will improve.