1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel’s New Cable Service Could Cripple Companies Like TiVo and DirecTV

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Johncv, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Aug 2, 2013 #1 of 34
    Johncv

Johncv Active Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Chula Vista, CA
  2. Aug 2, 2013 #2 of 34
    moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Intel's problem is the same as everyone else that have tried before - getting enough content to make the venture viable. What makes Intel more likely to succeed where the likes of Apple and Google have not?

3. Aug 2, 2013 #3 of 34
    rifleman69

rifleman69 Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Oregon
    Not even in the slightest. Different area of the tv spectrum.

4. Aug 3, 2013 #4 of 34
    shadowplay0918

shadowplay0918 Member

May 16, 2011
    and there is still the issues with data caps......can't see cable companies raising it to open up more competition..

5. Aug 3, 2013 #5 of 34
    tenthplanet

tenthplanet Member

Mar 5, 2004
    My prediction is Intel is going to take a big write down on this in the next few years. This idea ranks up there with some of the more stunning ways Microsoft and Google have lost money on certain ventures.
    So called financial sites have a horrible track record when it comes to their take on technology.

6. Aug 3, 2013 #6 of 34
    stahta01

stahta01 Simple Member

Dec 23, 2001
    Fort Wayne,...
    I agree that is possible; but, they are more of a hardware company. So, maybe they have a different method of doing it. I am thinking of Microsoft and Google TV ventures.

Tim S.

7. Aug 4, 2013 #7 of 34
    davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Northern...
    How many times has Intel flirted with TV and either failed or backed off? I'd been expecting a more sizable presence from them at the Cable Show in June based on some intel I'd received (intel, ha) - but perhaps rumors of content blacklisting are more than hearsay. As an aside, this is the same author who wrote TiVo is doomed a few days ago - the company may or may not be doomed, but he didn't have his facts or thesis in order. So perhaps this is just his negatory hook.

8. Aug 4, 2013 #8 of 34
    ggieseke

ggieseke Active Member

May 30, 2008
    +1

9. Aug 4, 2013 #9 of 34
    stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Um, none? I know that Intel tried to get set top box makers interested in one of their earlier media processors, but I don't think that counts. Nor do I count Google TV. What are you thinking of? You're more familiar with the market than I am, but I'm fairly familiar with Intel. This is the first time I am aware of that Intel tried anything more than being a component supplier.

10. NoVa

NoVa Member

Feb 26, 2006
    NoVa
    IMO - Intel is looking for new avenues of investments since the it seems PC's are going away faster than anticipated.

That said, a cloud based DVR would take a lot of a cooperation & partnership with content providers. Not sure if that is possible...

11. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Northern...
  12. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
  13. Johncv

Johncv Active Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Chula Vista, CA
    I think that the point, to stop people from keeping shows for weeks, months, even years. If need to keep a show for longer than a few days, the producers want you to buy it.

14. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    No.

Article is garbage.

15. buscuitboy

buscuitboy New Member

Aug 8, 2005
    Atlanta area
    I agree. Cable networks aren't gonna allow this as it would cut too DEEP into the huge revenue stream they get from cable companies.

And as much as I would love to see a-la-cart programming on some level, it just ain't gonna happen anytime soon. Cable companies and networks don't want it & they are in bed with each other so why cut off the cash cow they have going. If Steve Jobs (Apple) couldn't get it done, nobody can.

16. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    But this lame, tired old business model is not going to last forever now that HSI capable of carrying the load is relatively widespread. Someone, some time is going to come up with a way to break through these exclusive distro agreements and shake things up. Might not be Intel, Google, or Apple, but it's going to happen eventually.

The real problem is not on the TV side of the house anyway (because there are alternatives, or will be), it's on the monopoly/duopoly HSI situation for millions of people. The cable/telco MSOs are going to get their money one way or another, either by jacking video or by squeezing you for HSI.

Satellite will be in real trouble once internet video distro takes over, though - all they'll have left are rural areas without HSI.

17. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Intel's PR dept is a hit. They have generated the buzz they hoped for. I am doubtful the product will amount to much. If Apple and Google can't pull it off, why would Intel have better success?

18. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
  19. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    Sad, but not unexpected. Lots of players talk big about cable over the internet, nobody can bring the deal home.

20. JosephB

JosephB Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Birmingham, AL
    There are several problems with the whole idea of internet TV. The first of which is that the internet providers are all, each and every one of them, also TV providers. So, even with net neutrality regulations, how would you expect them to take the competition lying down without any response?

First, there's data caps. These are already here and will never go away now that over the top video is a threat to the cable and phone companies

Second, the cable companies will always have pricing leverage over the newcomers. The vast majority of the money the programmers make come from cable companies, and most of them have most favored nation clauses in their contracts. This means that Intel, Apple, or anyone else cannot get a better price for ESPN or CNN than Cox or DirecTV. So, if you consider that along with the fact that the cable companies control the pricing for the internet AND their TV packages plus the fact that any subscriber of an over the top video package would have to get internet access, you can quickly see how the cable companies will always be able to out-price the over the top providers.

The real problem facing cable companies (and by extension, TiVo) is a certain percentage of the population is simply watching less TV. For people who are cutting the cord and going with some combination of OTA, Hulu, Netflix, and Amazon an IP delivered service isn't what they're looking for. They want to watch the two or three things they want and that's it. It's a la carte to the extreme, and even if you offered a la carte with the way linear TV is delivered, I don't think anyone would take it up.

There will always be people who want 500 channels of linear TV, so even if there are radical changes and new services and different interfaces, the traditional cable and satellite companies won't disappear.