1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Instructions for burning TiVo to DVD

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by adicted_to_chaos, Jan 21, 2007.

1. adicted_to_chaos

adicted_to_chaos New Member

Jan 20, 2007
    (If I'm breaking any TC rules, feel free to edit or delete this post).

Thanks to the posts on this site I was able to burn a DVD with 2 hours of TiVo content in under 20 minutes. (but it took me 4 hours of searching threads to get it working). I'm computer literate, but by no means an expert. If this doesn't work for you, I'm sorry.

I have 3 80 hour TiVo Series 2 DVRs, networked w/ Linksys adapters to a 2 year old, Pentium 4 HP running XP Media Center Edition. I've got a Gig of RAM and 180GB hard drive. I am running TiVo Desktop v2.3a. I played the finished DVD's in a fairly new Phillips DVD player.

If it helps anyone, here is how I did it:

First:

Download and install:

-VideoReDo. It is free to try, $49.99 to buy.
    -DVD Styler. It is free.
    -DVD Decrypter. It is also free.

(I tried to include the links but TC won't let me post with URL's). Go to:

videoredo"dot"com
    dvdstyler"dot"de
    dvddecrypter"dot"org"dot"uk

Then:

-I created a folder on my C: drive, within “My TiVo Recordings” called “TiVo Burned to DVD” to use as a work place.

-Open VideoReDo
    -Click “Open Video”
    -Look in your “My TiVo Recordings" file and select the show you want to burn.
    -Save As .vob (DVD Stream).
    -Repeat for each show you want to burn.
    (this took about 1 ½ minutes on my computer for a 50 minute TiVo recording saved at basic quality).

-Now go back to your “TiVo Burned to DVD” folder and change the extension of the .vob file to .mpg

-Open DVD Styler (this is where you create a menu for your DVD)
    -Use the "Background" tab to select a menu background (You can cut/paste an image file and save it in C/program files/DVD Styler/Backgrounds if you don’t like theirs).
    -Use the “Button” tab to select a menu button style. Drag and drop the button where you want it to appear on the background.
    -Double click on the button to change the text, font or properties.
    -Now use the “Directories” tab, find your “TiVo Burned to DVD” folder.
    Drag and drop your file(s) into the storyboard at the bottom of the DVD Styler box
    -Double click on your menu buttons and assign them to the right title/chapter for each selection.
    -Click File>Burn DVD (make sure “create ISO image” is selected).
    -Change the "Save To" location to the “TiVo Burned to DVD” folder
    (This took about 10 ½ minutes for 2, 50 minute TiVo recordings saved at basic quality)

-Open DVD Decrypter
    -Select Mode>ISO>Write so that you can find your file (the default is to read a DVD from your drive).
    -Load a DVD+R (the only format I’ve tried) into your drive
    -Select the Source (you’ll find it labeled “dvd” in your “TiVo Burned to DVD” folder if you didn't change the "save as" name.
    -Hit the “DVD” icon to start recording
    (just over 5 minutes to burn 2, 50 minute TiVo recordings saved at basic quality)

2. mfrns0123

mfrns0123 New Member

Mar 25, 2005
    Chicago
    Thanks for putting the instructions all in one place. :up: :up: :up:

3. DonWidmore

DonWidmore Member

Dec 27, 2006
    When I was at Best Buy the clerk told me that I could burn .tivo files to DVD straight, without editing them. Is that possible at all?

Don

4. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    You can burn the .tivo files to a DVD, sure ... but then you'll only be able to play them on a PC (basically your just saving them to DVD like any other file).

If you want to be able to play them in a DVD player you need to take some steps like the OP listed.

5. fickjr

fickjr New Member

Apr 12, 2003
    Richland, WA
    Does anyone know of a editor that can be used to remove commercials?

Thanks,
    Chuck

6. 2004raptor

2004raptor time to emancipate

Dec 30, 2005
    GA
    videoReDo. It's not free but well worth the cost.

7. Feb 9, 2007 #7 of 66
    scj6771

scj6771 New Member

Oct 4, 2006
    Ok, I followed the steps below as posted but when watching the DVD the sound and picture are out of sync?

Open VideoReDo
    -Click “Open Video”
    -Look in your “My TiVo Recordings" file and select the show you want to burn.
    -Save As .vob (DVD Stream).
    -Repeat for each show you want to burn.
    (this took about 1 ½ minutes on my computer for a 50 minute TiVo recording saved at basic quality).

-Now go back to your “TiVo Burned to DVD” folder and change the extension of the .vob file to .mpg

-Open DVD Styler (this is where you create a menu for your DVD)
    -Use the "Background" tab to select a menu background (You can cut/paste an image file and save it in C/program files/DVD Styler/Backgrounds if you don’t like theirs).
    -Use the “Button” tab to select a menu button style. Drag and drop the button where you want it to appear on the background.
    -Double click on the button to change the text, font or properties.
    -Now use the “Directories” tab, find your “TiVo Burned to DVD” folder.
    Drag and drop your file(s) into the storyboard at the bottom of the DVD Styler box
    -Double click on your menu buttons and assign them to the right title/chapter for each selection.
    -Click File>Burn DVD (make sure “create ISO image” is selected).
    -Change the "Save To" location to the “TiVo Burned to DVD” folder
    (This took about 10 ½ minutes for 2, 50 minute TiVo recordings saved at basic quality)

-Open DVD Decrypter
    -Select Mode>ISO>Write so that you can find your file (the default is to read a DVD from your drive).
    -Load a DVD+R (the only format I’ve tried) into your drive
    -Select the Source (you’ll find it labeled “dvd” in your “TiVo Burned to DVD” folder if you didn't change the "save as" name.
    -Hit the “DVD” icon to start recording
    (just over 5 minutes to burn 2, 50 minute TiVo recordings saved at basic quality)

8. Feb 9, 2007 #8 of 66
    greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...

Try mounting the .iso file you created from DVDStyler in a virtual DVD drive and see if it plays correctly. :confused:

Daemon Tools is a good free DVD drive emulator.
    http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/download.php?mode=ViewCategory&catid=5

9. Feb 9, 2007 #9 of 66
    scj6771

scj6771 New Member

Oct 4, 2006
    Ok I tried that but the results were the same, sound and video do not sync.

10. Lazlo123

Lazlo123 New Member

Nov 7, 2006

That's strange... I have burned .tivo files straight to dvd a few times now, and they have worked in several different DVD players.

11. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
    Load your orginal file back into VRD and hit Ctrl-L. Let us know the output.

12. scj6771

scj6771 New Member

Oct 4, 2006
  13. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
    Odd your's doesn't have the Copy To Clipboard button. What version of VR are you running?

I'm running v2.5.4.507

14. scj6771

scj6771 New Member

Oct 4, 2006
  15. scj6771

scj6771 New Member

Oct 4, 2006
    I did notice I forgot to do this in DVDStyler:

"Make sure you change your Configuration->Settings from PAL (the default) to NTSC."

Could this have a negative effect?

16. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
    It would, but I wouldn't think it would play at all.

17. scj6771

scj6771 New Member

Oct 4, 2006
    Nevermind, I just tried it again with the same results. :mad: :mad:

18. scj6771

scj6771 New Member

Oct 4, 2006
    Ok, I have read most all of the 16 pages in this post and have tried the method as described below but still the video and the audio are out of sync? also the video seems to "studder" quite often?

1) Edit the file in VideoReDo and output it as a .vob file.
    2) Change the file extension on the output file to .mpg
    3) Load the file into DVDStyler and design a simple menu for it
    4) Output it to an ISO image.
    5) Burn the ISO image using DVDDecrypter.

My DVDStyler version is 1.5b7 (I did try with older versions as well). Something happens between DVDStyler and DVDcrypter

****EDIT****
    I just relaized that this only happens when I do an episode of lost??? I just did 2 episodes of The Unit with no problems at all.

19. msmart

msmart New Member

Jan 2, 2007
    Try running the .mpg file through VRD using QuickStream Fix saving to .vob. Rename to .mpg again then use the new file(s) in DVDStyler.

About 1 in 10 shows I convert has to be run through QuickStream Fix. In my case though, the audio plays fine but the video stutters. That's why I always play the disc image on the PC before burning. If it stutters, delete disc image, fix in VRD, remake disc image.

20. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
    The output of DVDStyler is just an .iso file. You could try ImgBurn instead of DVDDecrypter, but all it is doing is burning that .iso file to disk. The problem has to be further upstream...