1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Inside the Power of ESPN - NYT series

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Steveknj, Aug 27, 2013.

1. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    The NY Times did a three part series on ESPN. I read a little of the first part about it's control over College sports, particularly CFB and the third which is about ESPN's influence on the TV landscape in general:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/27/s...mpire-espn-stays-on-offensive.html?ref=sports

Interesting reading on how one company dominates Sports, not only what goes on the air but how and why it's on the air.

2. taronga

taronga New Member

Nov 15, 2006
    Kentucky
    Thanks! As a Louisville fan, I had been sent a link to the middle story, but I wasn't aware that it was part of a series. Very interesting.

3. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I didn't read the Louisville part of the story, but I think the gist of it is how ESPN made that program.

I have lots of issues with college athletics, and among them is the TV (and other corporate, like Nike) money, corrupting these programs so that they are no longer about helping the educational institutions, but about making money.