1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Increase in spam!

Discussion in 'Forum Operations Center' started by dthmj, Dec 18, 2012.

1. dthmj

dthmj Hinky TCF Club

Mar 12, 2002
    Texas
    Seems there has been a huge increase in the amount of spam on the forums here lately. I used to see it once a month or so (I'm sure it was more often) - but now I'm seeing it multiple times a day.

I had a forum once that had a lot of spam and turned on a feature that you had to answer a question when you registered - not sure if this board has that or not - but maybe you can look into something else to combat spam.

2. Mike Lang

Mike Lang Administrator Staff Member Administrator TCF Club

Nov 17, 1999
    More like 50ish a day, but that's not new. :cool:

3. dthmj

dthmj Hinky TCF Club

Mar 12, 2002
    Texas
    I knew it was much more - that's just what I see with the handful of threads I look at.

But I've noticed an increase in the past month - has it not? Maybe I'm just reading more threads now :)

4. Mike Lang

Mike Lang Administrator Staff Member Administrator TCF Club

Nov 17, 1999
    No increase in the last month, but it increased a bit during the summer and stayed there.

5. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    We've seen a huge increase in spam over on the VideoReDo forums too. The bots must be pushing extra hard for the holiday season. I changed from a captcha to a question and answer system for human verification and it seems to have staved off the problem a bit.

Dan

6. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Active Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    Yeah I seem to get at least 5 threads a day bumped with spam posts. Maybe they were just posting in other threads since I have never seen it before like this.

7. Marc

Marc Active Member TCF Club

Jun 26, 1999
    McMurray, PA
    Switching to a Q&A verification system has made a world of difference on the forum I administer. Spammers have completely disappeared since making that switch. It's working well, for now at least.