1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

In The Flesh: BBC Mini-Series

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Beryl, Jun 8, 2013.

1. Jun 8, 2013 #1 of 45
    Beryl

Beryl Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2009
    Texas
    Shaking my head after watching the first episode finally being aired in the US. It was really well done balancing humor, drama, and character study.

Just 3 episodes? I'm thinking I'll be pleased with the series but wanting for more. It is a nice undead lead into WWZ this summer in any case.

2. Jun 8, 2013 #2 of 45
    Bananfish

Bananfish Preowned Member

May 16, 2002
    Belmont, CA
    What is this show about? Does it have anything to do with Blondie?

3. Jun 8, 2013 #3 of 45
    Beryl

Beryl Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2009
    Texas
  4. Jun 9, 2013 #4 of 45
    CoxInPHX

CoxInPHX COX Communications

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
  5. Jun 9, 2013 #5 of 45
    cheerdude

cheerdude Reed & Juliet's CPA

Feb 27, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    I see this is on BBCA today; 3 1/2 hour recording... is this the full first series?

6. Jun 9, 2013 #6 of 45
    Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Must be, although probably slightly trimmed. It's three 60-minute episodes.

7. Jun 9, 2013 #7 of 45
    CraigK

CraigK (unspecified)

Jun 9, 2006
    North of...
    I figure it's everything except the "previously on In The Flesh" and "next time on In The Flesh" parts.

8. Jun 9, 2013 #8 of 45
    Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Well, they're actual 60-minute episodes, so that would mean about 15 minutes total missing at standard American commercial rates (15+ minutes per hour), unless it's "limited interruption"...

9. Jun 9, 2013 #9 of 45
    phox_mulder

phox_mulder I get paid 2watch TV

Feb 23, 2006
    Salt Lake...
    BBCA episodes are 1 hour and 15 minutes long, so not much trimmed, at least the showings I recorded.
    (I picked the late night airings to avoid any conflicts)

I started watching the original BBC airings, but had problems with some of the accents,
    so stopped down till I had all 3 recorded from BBCA, as they will have closed captions to help.

phox

10. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    OK, but the showing he was talking about was 3:30, apparently for the whole thing, which would imply either fewer commercials or greater cuts...

11. Beryl

Beryl Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2009
    Texas
    Glad it wasn't just me! I'm not sure if it was just the accent or the dialect of the region. Maybe someone here will enlighten. I hadn't recorded them but they are onDemand.

12. Barmat

Barmat Member

Jun 1, 2001
    Livermore CA
    Already started production on series 2.

This was a very good show. I thought it was a very creative and well done take on the Zombocalypse.

13. Jeeters

Jeeters Registered Snoozer

Feb 25, 2003
    PA
    Each of the original BBC episodes is 56 and some odd minutes in length.

14. phox_mulder

phox_mulder I get paid 2watch TV

Feb 23, 2006
    Salt Lake...
    I think it's more dialect than accent, even with Closed Captioning, there were words and phrases that flew right over my head.

Of course, CRS prevents me from recalling any specifics.

phox

15. JohnB1000

JohnB1000 Active Member

Dec 6, 2004
    I loved this show, a very clever concept and well done.

16. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    Oh that's good to know (bolded by me).

I'm just now watching the third episode, but it's odd that it only has three episodes and doesn't seem like it could just end here.

I love the whole PDS thing and being able to, with meds, go back to living. Then the whole other side, with the other people - the organization of people who don't want them to come back. I'm confused about a couple of things - like the guy who came back from the war. I thought he was Kieran's brother, but then I remembered that his brother died. Maybe I need to keep these episodes and watch them again next week.

Love the term 'rotters'. :D

17. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    They were using the term "brother" figuratively. Kieren never had a brother. He and Rick were lovers.

18. CoxInPHX

CoxInPHX COX Communications

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    Quote in an interview from the Creator and Writer Dominic Mitchell
    http://www.scifinow.co.uk/news/38309/in-the-flesh-creator-dominic-mitchell-on-episode-1-secrets/

Q) "Kieran has a close friendship with Amy (introduced in episode two) and an almost romantic one with his friend Ric. Was that ambiguity intentional?"

A) "That was totally intentional. He’s not gay but he’s not straight. He’s more in love with the person than the gender. Ric is very uncomfortable with his relationship with Kieran. I don’t think it got to the point of having sex but it was maybe going that way and he couldn’t handle it. What’s so great about horror and fantasy is that you can talk about gender politics and identity freely."​

19. stellie93

stellie93 Active Member

Feb 25, 2006
    I was confused when Ric came back--they told his dad he was "partially dead" and he obviously was, but his dad just refused to accept it? And then he did. :(

This could solve hunger in the world--just kill people and then bring them back and they don't need to eat or drink. ;)

I could have used a little more explanation of who turned and why and how they happened to keep all these zombies alive long enough to discover the cure. Sure, there are usually a few people here and there who keep their loved ones alive, but not that many.