1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Imagine my surprise..

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by GoEagles, Apr 15, 2012.

1. GoEagles

GoEagles New Member

Dec 2, 2006
    I wanted to buy another Premiere that I could replace a hard drive and have it store a lot more shows. Someone was selling one for $50 near me that he says he won at Best Buy while his worked there. He has Comcast with a nice promotion and didn't need the box.

He said it might have a few months left of free service, but didn't know how many. I still took the deal anyway since a practically new unit for $50 was great. I called TiVo to transfer to my name, and they tell me it has some kind of internal PLS and no need to pay for anything. SWEET!

2. lillevig

lillevig Hot in West Texas

Dec 6, 2010
    San Angelo, TX
    Nice, but you should verify what kind of "lifetime" it has. Seems like there are some with "11:Evaluation" (or something like that) lifetimes that could be terminated by Tivo at their whim or possibly be non-transferrable. The good one is code "5:product Lifetime Service".

3. GoEagles

GoEagles New Member

Dec 2, 2006
    Excellent suggestion!

4. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Active Member

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    Wow, always cool to see someone get a great deal but Premiere with lifetime service for $50 is the best deal yet.

5. Test

Test Active Member

Dec 8, 2004
    Were they able to transfer it to your name?

6. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Active Member

Mar 14, 2010
    I thought there were some that are Evaluation even if it shows a "5 Product Liftetime Service." Unless TiVo has changed what is displayed for all evaluations, there are several post from angry TiVo Evaluation boxes with "5" code who, when the Evaluation ended, had to pay full price subscriptions or Lifetimes (or MSD rates) for the boxes. What was upsetting was that the TiVo nor calls to CSR's BEFORE the end of the evaluation NEVER gave any indication that they were other than "5" Lifetime. If this has changed, then great.

What usually happens is that the evaluation Lifetime runs out, and you are forced to set a new payment plan. However, MSD does apply, but, financially, it is as if you just got the TiVo and need to add it to your account. You are given NO CREDIT or additional discounts. If you want Lifetime, you will have to pay full price either as first Lifetime or subsequent Lifetime box if you already have another on your account.

7. GoEagles

GoEagles New Member

Dec 2, 2006
    This is odd to me. It says Product Lifetime Service on the My Account page, but the service is listed as Code 11 on the box. I would like to sell this to someone because I don't need the ability to record 6 shows at one time, but morally I couldn't sell a lifetime subscription box if says "Evaluation" on the front. No one at Tivo can tell me when it ends either, or when it would be removed. I'll use it till the proverbial wheels falls/subscription ends.

8. lillevig

lillevig Hot in West Texas

Dec 6, 2010
    San Angelo, TX
    Still, not bad to have a Premiere for spare parts. I bought an unused one for $51/delivered for just that purpose. You actually need a Premeire hard drive to make a new hard drive because WinMFS and WinTools can't make a truncated image of a Premiere.

9. GoEagles

GoEagles New Member

Dec 2, 2006
    I'm definitely keeping it around and it seems to have a subscription on it so I'm using it now. Plan to use it a STB in my bedroom and if I can finally get my Elite to transfer shows to other Premiere boxes.

10. tootal2

tootal2 New Member

Oct 14, 2005
    How do you know that tivo was not stolen? seems like to good of a deal.

11. Joe01880

Joe01880 I love my TiVo

Feb 8, 2009
    Boston
    too good!

12. Orthanos

Orthanos New Member

Apr 14, 2012
    I imagine its a true deal, do Grats on a great deal :)

If my Tivo was stolen I would be sure to contact Tivo and report it, in hopes they would turn the unit off from any subscription.

13. GoEagles

GoEagles New Member

Dec 2, 2006
    I am sure it's not stolen, I knew where it came from, nothing shady like that going on. I think you can report it as stolen of course and I would have run into a major problem, but it was a good deal though, lucky i guess in this case.

14. Joe01880

Joe01880 I love my TiVo

Feb 8, 2009
    Boston
    those are the deals we all hope to trip over..congrats