1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm surprised there are no unpacking videos.

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by BlackBetty, Aug 26, 2013.

1. BlackBetty

BlackBetty I

Nov 5, 2004
    Or videos of the units in action.

2. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Active Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    I think the people who normally do them either don't have them yet or didn't buy.

3. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    I thought about doing an unpacking video, but didn't have the patience.

Are there really no videos of it working? I could fix that...

4. celtic pride

celtic pride Member

Nov 8, 2005
    I would like to see the tivo in action and also what the tivo looks like when all 6 lights are on while recording,i also want to see how the tivo finder works when your looking for your remote.

5. jellyandtoast

jellyandtoast New Member

Aug 26, 2013
    Trust me, unlike Apple packaging, the TiVo Roamio packaging is truly very uninspirational --you're not missing out anything. TiVo went cheap so I'm not suprised that no one has done an upacking video.

6. aristoBrat

aristoBrat Active Member

Dec 30, 2002
    Va Beach, VA
    I was making an unpacking video for my Pro, but I don't feel like editing out all of my snarky comments when I got to the point where I noticed that it doesn't include a HDMI cable.

Not that I need one, but every TiVo I've had before came with one. Sad to see this tradition gone, esp. on the highest-end model.

7. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Really, no HDMI in the box? That's just cheap. Especially for a $600 Pro. :thumbsdown:

8. innocentfreak

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    Yeah no HDMI and no ethernet. I can somewhat see the ethernet since it has MoCa, but the lack of HDMI is bad.

9. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    You can get those both on Monoprice for < $5 total. Why would TiVo cheap out and not include them in the box.

So you don't get any video cables at all?

10. GoHokies!

GoHokies! O2->CO2 Converter

Sep 21, 2005
    KFME
    Nope.

Mine had the Tivo, remote, batteries, power cord.

Fortunately it's replacing a premiere, so I'm not using any of the new cords, just swapping boxes.

No unboxing video, I was too excited to get it opened up and a 3 TB drive installed. :)

11. innocentfreak

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
  12. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Yikes. I'm sure these days most people have a spare HDMI cable laying around, but come on. How pissed would you be to buy a $600 toy only to open the box and find that it doesn't even have the cables you need to hook it to the TV? At the very least they should have thrown a cheap HDMI cable in there. :thumbsdown:

13. innocentfreak

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    I definitely agree. The only reason I have a spare is I kept one I ended up not needing when I setup my mom's system.

14. kherr

kherr Member

Aug 1, 2006
    I usually find that cables included with a device are too short anyway. Even for monitors and such I always buy a cable that is long enough to fit the installation. There's nothing like buying a device and have to wait to use it because you went cheap and relied on the manufacturer.

15. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Except maybe buying a device and realizing you can't even attempt to hook it up because they didn't include even a basic video cable.

HDMI cables are digital, they typically either work or they don't. Throwing a cheap one in the box wouldn't have cost much and would have at least guaranteed the user could hook it up to the TV and get GS started.

Ethernet I can understand, since it has wifi now, but without a video cable it's useless.

16. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I give this a huge :up::up::up:

I can't even count the number of HDMI and Ethernet cables I have from devices that have been packed in. I rarely ever use them unless I can't find any of my Monoprice cables and only then I will use one until I order some more. I wish all devices came without any cables or batteries.(I use rechargeable batteries now which is a huge change for me from several years ago)

17. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Even a $40 Roku LT includes an A/V cable. A $600 Roamio Pro should include an HDMI cable whether you need it or not.

18. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I just looked at my TiVo Mini box and that has an HDMI cable in it. So if the Mini has an HDMI cable then I guess it is surprising that the Roamio Pro doesn't.

In six months they will change the Romaio Pro name and it will be THX certified and also come with an HDMI cable. :)

Still though this launch seems to be much better than the Premiere launch was. Like they put more thought into it. I'm sure they had a reason not to include the HDMI cable. Maybe they figured it would be installed by HT companies or something?

19. BlackBetty

BlackBetty I

Nov 5, 2004
    Not even this thread can spur some user videos. :rolleyes:

20. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Don't have mine yet. If I get it soon I'll do one.

Weaknees said it would ship "early next week" when I asked last Friday, but still no shipping notice yet.