TiVo Community Forum banner
  • TiVoCommunity.com Ambassador Program Now Open! >>> Click Here

I'm screwed. No Tivo!

3K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  telcoman 
#1 ·
After many years w/Tivo, starting with Series 1, I'm SOL. I can only get IPTV service and my three Tivo's might as well be doorstops.

So I'm asking your advice on the best substitute.

I'm thinking maybe some kind of device that will allow me to stream video from my PC. But it would have to be able to control the PC remotely as the TV and PC will be in different rooms.

Maybe something like a Ruku if it permits streaming from a PC. Does it?

It would be nice if the device had local storage so that I could have several programs immediately on hand at the TV end.

Or possibly a slingbox where I would do all the Tivo-ing at my folk's house and watch it remotely.

Naturally I'd like all this in HD.

I'm just blue skying because my only experience is with Tivo and don't know what else might be out there.

Please give me your input. Is there life without Tivo?

Ed

See less See more
#3 ·
Can you even get OTA in your area?
I've never tried. I could pick up one of those flat antennas I see advertised. But my main concern is time shifting. We watched a movie last night, I think it was on FX, the damn thing must have run three hours with all the ads. I gave up in disgust less than a third way through. I'm spoiled by Tivo and life's too short!

Thanks for the feedback,

Ed

#7 ·
I've never tried. I could pick up one of those flat antennas I see advertised. But my main concern is time shifting. We watched a movie last night, I think it was on FX, the damn thing must have run three hours with all the ads. I gave up in disgust less than a third way through. I'm spoiled by Tivo and life's too short!
You could use a Series 3 or 4 (other than the Premiere 4 or XL4) TiVo for OTA time shifting.

Yes they do. Two simultaneous recordings BUT you would have to watch one of them. That's just unacceptable!

Plus it would add $40 to the bill. That's a lot to pay for substandard service.
Where are you and who is your provider?

#8 ·
You could use a Series 3 or 4 (other than the Premiere 4 or XL4) TiVo for OTA time shifting.

Where are you and who is your provider?
Hi,

I've temporary bricked my S2 by attempting a guided setup at my new location using the phone (don't have wired ethernet at the TV location yet; but working on it). I couldn't make the phone connection with my VOIP service. So now I have to find a friend with a land line. Why doesn't Tivo let you switch from phone to ethernet?? Seems like a reasonable thing to do. Anyway I'll have only one working tuner with my dual tuner S2 so that's quite limiting.

My location is Delray Beach, FL. The community is served by Hotwire but I can also get Uverse at a significantly higher cost. Both are IPTV. I called Comcast and they won't come into the community.

Thanks,

Ed

#9 ·
You can use the Roku to stream from your PC using a private channel called Plex. You can browse the list of channels available on Roku here: http://www.roku.com/channels/#!browse/movies-and-tv/by-popular
You can view the list of private Roku channels here: http://www.rokuprivatechannels.com/
Just ordered the Roku 3 and will get plex ASAP. It's a totally new thing for me. Just hope it works out.

What's the deal with private channels? Any popular content on them? Any good ones I should check out?

As I understand Roku has no local storage so time shifting is out other than what I stream from my PC or sneaker net via USB. Right?

Thanks,
Ed

#10 ·
Why doesn't Tivo let you switch from phone to ethernet?? Seems like a reasonable thing to do. Anyway I'll have only one working tuner with my dual tuner S2 so that's quite limiting.
Since it has built-in Ethernet, you should be able to do that. I have a couple of single tuner TiVos have never been connected to a phone line. Used a USB Ethernet adapter, even for guided setup.

My location is Delray Beach, FL. The community is served by Hotwire but I can also get Uverse at a significantly higher cost. Both are IPTV. I called Comcast and they won't come into the community.
Figured it was something like that. You should update your TCF profile. It still has you in Stamford, CT.

I googled Hotwire. What a POS! I feel for you. I suspect there were some palms greased when this contract was signed.

#11 ·
Since it has built-in Ethernet, you should be able to do that. I have a couple of single tuner TiVos have never been connected to a phone line. Used a USB Ethernet adapter, even for guided setup.

Figured it was something like that. You should update your TCF profile. It still has you in Stamford, CT.

I googled Hotwire. What a POS! I feel for you. I suspect there were some palms greased when this contract was signed.
Still do Stamford in the summer. Can't take the FL heat; like the Miami Heat though ;-)

Two years to go on the Hotwire contact, then we'll see what we can do. Doesn't help much for now.

Thanks for the feedback,

Ed

#13 ·
What's the deal with private channels? Any popular content on them? Any good ones I should check out?
The private channels are kind of like beta channels. They have not been fully reviewed and approved by Roku. Many of them don't work or they don't stay around, like the VideoBuzz channel that let you watch YouTube videos. It was recently shut down. :(

#14 ·
Hi,

I've temporary bricked my S2 by attempting a guided setup at my new location using the phone (don't have wired ethernet at the TV location yet; but working on it). I couldn't make the phone connection with my VOIP service. So now I have to find a friend with a land line. Why doesn't Tivo let you switch from phone to ethernet?? Seems like a reasonable thing to do. Anyway I'll have only one working tuner with my dual tuner S2 so that's quite limiting.

Thanks,

Ed
We just got Hotwire in Lake Worth this past December

We receive 75 analog channels so even my older S2 works fine

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=504017&highlight=Tivo+with+Hotwire

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.