1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I will be leaving tivo soon

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by tootal2, Jul 19, 2012.

1. tootal2

tootal2 New Member

Oct 14, 2005
    I been using windows media center with a 4 tuner ceton card and a 2 tuner antenna card for 6 tuners and a 3 terabite harddrive.

I never planed to leave tivo. but i built a very fast gaming pc to
    replace my old and slow ps3. Then i wanted to see if my computer could replace my tivo hd and my blu-ray player. and it could.

my windows 7 computer replaced my ps3, blu-ray player and tivo hd.

2. jjd_87

jjd_87 Member

Jan 31, 2011
    WV
    Enjoy your headache!

3. tootal2

tootal2 New Member

Oct 14, 2005
    Its not a headache. the only problem i have is with hibernate mode. Sometimes my computer will wake up from hibernate mode to record a show and lock up. but it only happens every 2 weeks. I think its my video driver.

4. jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    Personally, that is the kind of headache I have a tivo for. I'm guessing you did not have lifetime on your tivo box.

You are doing all of these activities with one PC? Or are you using the new one for games and the old one as a DVR?

5. Rebate_King

Rebate_King New Member

Nov 10, 2004
    bye

6. LifeIsABeach

LifeIsABeach New Member

Feb 28, 2001
    Drexel Hill, PA
    Hibernation mode always causes me probems. The first thing I do when I get a new computer is turn it off.

7. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    So, you miss shows once every 2 weeks?

That's FAR too often.

BTW, I actually like the IDEA of using something like this, but I like tweaking things. If only some of this competition actually got "good enough" to seriously give TiVo a run for its money, that would be great.

In other words, the Ceton DVR thing coming out some eon is intriguing to me, but hopefully it is more thoroughly integrated/tested that it will be much more like a consumer electronics device..

Obviously your PC can't play PS3 games, so it doesn't really replace that.

8. tootal2

tootal2 New Member

Oct 14, 2005
    Its a lifetime tivo but its costing me 4.00 a month for the cable cards. it still running right now. but i havent used it in months.

I might buy a tivo in the future if has 4 tuners and ota

9. compnurd

compnurd New Member

Oct 6, 2011
    I was thinking the same thing on the PS3. They just dont release the same games for both these days

10. tootal2

tootal2 New Member

Oct 14, 2005
    almost all games are released on the pc. but some games are ps3 only or xbox only. i wont be buying anymore ps3 games i just buy them for the pc.

the ps3 is 6 year old technology

11. compnurd

compnurd New Member

Oct 6, 2011
    Does it really matter if the system is 6 years old? Games are developed and tailored for the system specs so it does not really matter how old it is

12. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Active Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    Nice. I've got a Ceton InfiniTV4, an HDHomeRun Prime, two Hauppauge 2250's and a dual tuner HDHomeRun for a total of seven digital cable tuners and six ATSC tuners. Both HDHomeRuns are shared with other PCs. I've also got a 21TB server with about 1,000 Blu-Rays and DVDs that can be shared with any PC in the house. All of my TVs except one are connected to individual HTPCs.

FWIW, a properly configured HTPC is no more problematic than a Tivo. Mine's been up and running with no issues for well over two years. The S3 Tivo has been unplugged for months and is not missed one bit.

13. Xab

Xab Member

May 21, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    This is so true. I just came back to TiVo from a setup very similar to yours. I got so tired of the noise of a PC, the unreliability (6-8 missed recordings EVERY week, pages of notifications daily about tuners not available for no reason).

14. trip1eX

trip1eX Active Member

Apr 2, 2005
    My WMC pc works great. I built it in November. Wife likes it. The 360 extender on a 2nd TV also has worked great - much better than I thought.

I probably would still own a TiVo Premiere if the menus had been responsive.

WMC ain't perfect. A few hiccups over 8 months of use. Nothing I couldn't fix in a minute or two. But anyone without computer knowledge might not be so lucky.

I didn't find it ideal to use as a gaming pc and a dvr though. The gaming video card was loud and probably not power efficient under small loads. Not sure gaming mixed with the dvr part either. I had the feeling that they messed with each other a bit at least in my experience. Ad it made it less wife-proof. So now I have a separate gaming machine and WMC pc.

15. mr.unnatural

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    Sorry to hear you had issues with your setup. Chances are you had some bad drivers or hardware incompatibilities or just tried using components that were outdated. I see people trying to build an HTPC out of an old computer or box of old components they have lying around and wonder why it doesn't work like they expect. I've had issues with HTPC builds in the past and it always turned out to be the result of faulty hardware. Most HTPCs I've put together work just fine with no issues. There are numerous guides for building HTPCs with lists of recommended components posted in the Home Theater Computer forum at the AVS Forums in the sticky threads. Check out Assassin's HTPC blog for a comprehensive list of guides he put together for configuring any type of hardware and software setup in an HTPC.

With today's hardware it's almost inconceivable that anyone can't get a working Media Center PC as long as the hardware is functioning normally. Mine's been every bit as reliable as any Tivo I've ever owned. PC noise can be greatly attenuated by using fan controllers or quieter fans. Check out silentpcreview.com for a long list of recommended hardware to build a dead silent PC.

The tuner not available message is very common, but it doesn't usually result in missed recordings unless you've got some flaky tuners. Sometimes it takes a few seconds for the tuner to be initialized by Media Center before it can tune to a channel. PC tuners tend to change channels a bit slower than most so the response time can lag a bit. If it can't tune the channel immediately when prompted to do so you'll get the error message. Media Center will keep polling all available tuners until it finds one that can tune to the channel. I get the message all the time but I haven't missed any recordings. In fact, in the five years or so that I've been using HTPCs for recording I can't recall ever missing more than a handful of recordings. The ones I did miss were a result of USB tuners dropping offline due to a flaky external USB hub.

16. tootal2

tootal2 New Member

Oct 14, 2005
    some people think the desktop pc is obsolete. they sure are wrong.

im tootal2 on steam

17. mr.unnatural

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    Desktop PCs aren't going anywhere. Laptops aren't practical for many purposes and tablets have limited uses. Desktops are less expensive and easier to maintain and upgrade.

18. tootal2

tootal2 New Member

Oct 14, 2005
    I moved my tivo hd to my bedroom for a few more months till the ceton echo comes out.

19. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Active Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    I scrapped my Media Center setup after I got tired of it constantly recording repeats. It wasn't smart enough to know it recorded the 8:00 PM showing so that it wouldn't record the 11:00 PM showing. As a result I kept missing shows I wanted because it was recording the same show multiple times. Then of course there were the repeat recordings because the guide data was crappy yet TiVo had correct data.

I also got tired of Media Center crashing when trying to use the advanced conflict resolution. Apparently this bug has been around since the original Media Center.

The final straw was when it killed the CableCARD. One day the CableCARD stopped working and the four cards I tried after that all stopped working after a couple days. I finally pulled the tuner and turned off Media Center. We haven't missed it either. At this point I don't even know if we will consider the Ceton Q since Microsoft clearly has no plans on ever doing anything with Media Center to improve the experience.

20. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    The repeat recording issue is one of WMC's biggest flaws, IMO. Not a prob if you have enough tuners, but still a pain in the butt because you always have to delete stupid stuff that it thinks it should record because of bad guide data or whatever.