1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I thought six tuners was enough, but perhaps not ...

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by gweempose, Sep 26, 2013.

1. gweempose

gweempose Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    I recently replaced three Series 3 boxes with a Roamio Pro and two Minis. Since I pad all of my recordings, I tend to utilize more tuners than most people. I just checked the "To Do" List", and it looks like my machine will be using 5 tuners at once tonight. During this time, I won't even be able to stream live TV to one of the Minis. I guess six tuners isn't as many as I first thought. :)

2. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    It's the same number you had before. So you're no worse off. If all 6 tuners were recording on your previous setup you wouldn't have been able to watch live TV either.

You know that you CAN watch any of the the programs that are in the process of recording via one, or both, of the Minis right? Unlike the S3 units that required a recording to finish before you could start transferring it to watch via MRV.

3. gweempose

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    Yeah, I'm not complaining. I just thought it was interesting how six tuners seemed like so much until the TV season began. The Minis are both in rooms that don't get a lot of use, so it's really not a big deal at all. I may even get rid of one of my Premieres and replace it with another Mini. :)

4. kbmb

kbmb Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2004
    NH
    I just upgraded from a TivoHD and I thought the same......but now that I'm recording all the new shows and padding everything, I found the other night where it would have needed 7 tuners.

Thankfully, most of these new shows will probably be cancelled before the 3rd episode.

-Kevin

5. jmpage2

jmpage2 Active Member

Jan 20, 2004
    Well, six tuner feeds is the maximum for a single cablecard, so I don't think you guys will find a higher capacity box unless TiVo decides to make some kind of box for hard-core users that puts two cable-cards together again... or an IP delivery system comes along that can stream many, many HD streams simultaneously to a DVR.

When they do that they can also put in 1 petabyte of storage so that you can record everything on TV for several years and then pick and choose what you might eventually want to watch.

6. kbmb

kbmb Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2004
    NH
    Yeah....it's more of an interesting observation not a complaint. Heck, coming from 2 tuners it's great! Although wouldn't lie......a 2 Mcard Tivo with dual 4TB drives would be pretty cool :D

I'm more interested in maybe Tivo tweaking software to handle back-to-back overlaps (like the interesting bug I ran across the other night http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=509458). If they could use a single tuner for back to back programs that overlap that would free up other tuners.

-Kevin

7. jmpage2

jmpage2 Active Member

Jan 20, 2004
    within a week of a dual m-card box with 4TB of storage coming out there would be "power users" who would be decrying the lack of a three m-card box with 12TB of storage.....

"I just like to really record every show that's on.... I mean, you know, something might be good, and maybe a year or two later I'd like to re-visit that show and start watching it".

:)

8. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    6 tuners is plenty for me . I have yet to even see all 6 lights on at the same time. Although there could have been a few minutes here or there where they were due to padding and I just didn't notice.

There are only 4 major network channels (5 if you count The WB) and everything on cable repeats, so I can't imagine a situation where I'd ever need more then 6 tuners. In fact if TiVo ever added a feature that would share data between back to back recordings so that padding shows didn't require 2 tuners I'd only ever need 4

9. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    I've got 12 tuners available right now, but most of the time 6 is enough for me. This past week alone I've had plenty of occasions with 5 parallel recordings during prime time on my Roamio and I don't use any padding and never enable suggestions.

10. BlackBetty

BlackBetty I

Nov 5, 2004
    Why the heck would you pad every recording??

11. gweempose

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    OCD :D

12. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Most stations are pretty good. But on some comedies I have to pad to get that last little bit at the end. A lot of cable channels seem to be off a bit on their timing, both start and end, so I tend to pad all of them, just in case. but since they repeat all the time that doesn't typically cause conflicts.

13. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Because the majority, if not the vast majority, of stuff I record needs it?

14. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Just the opposite for me. It's rare that I need to pad my SPs. So far I've also had no issues with any of the new show recordings. They have all ended without anything being cut off.

Besides I'd have major problems if I tried to pad a bunch of SPs. I don't clip any recordings and I'm already using six tuners concurrently just about every evening. With the new shows SP, I am recording a little more than normal. So hopefully once I delete that and add the permanent SPs. I won't have a dozen conflicts each two week period like I have right now.

15. ShoutingMan

ShoutingMan Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Because TiVo guide data isn't quite right, and a number of shows run long and/or start early.

This is a recurring problem for me. It's more manageable with six tuners. But it's still a nuisance.

16. TC25D

TC25D New Member

Aug 21, 2013
    It's not just TiVo guide data that's not quite right. I had the same problem with my cable company DVR guide data.

17. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    That's because it's not the guide data that is off, it is the networks and/or local affiliates.

18. Riverdome

Riverdome Member

May 12, 2005
    I wonder if it isn't the locals because with ~60 SP we wish we had padded something maybe once/twice a year. As was mentioned it's usually that last joke or the preview of the next episode.

19. aeternal

aeternal New Member

Jul 3, 2013
    We have become spoiled huh? :p TV shows have drastically increased in quality over the last decade or so. AMC, A&E, DISCOVERY, etc. have definitely made the jump to be in line with the big boys. I am curious as to how many Roamio folks watch every single show they record or if it is more about sharing the DVR with shows that your wife, husband, son, daughter etc. want to watch on their own.

I'm definitely guilty of watching TV too much as well. I just fear one day we will have 2,000+ channels, 20 Tuner boxes and get our direct fix by plugging in a cord Matrix style in the back of our head lol.

20. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I expect the number of tuners to decrease in the future, potentially to zero. Where the content is streamed instead received with a tuner.