1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I think its the hard drive

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by buscuitboy, Jan 13, 2014.

Which route should I maybe lean towward with this S3?

Poll closed Nov 2, 2014.
  1. As before, TRY to trade it in (& get lifetime transferred for free) for a 2-tuner Premiere (for $79)

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  2. use parts from other Series 3 to repair it & then sell it

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. If its a hard drive failure, upgrade its drive with WinMFS and keep it.

6 vote(s)
    75.0%
  1. buscuitboy

buscuitboy New Member

Aug 8, 2005
    Atlanta area
    I have a lifetime series 3 (TCD652160) that seems to be giving me problems and is in a reboot loop. It basically gets past the "Welcome, Powering Up" screen and proceeds to the "Almost there...". I then reboots.

From reading these forums, this seems like an indication that there is a problem with its hard drive, correct? I will open it up and take a look at the power supply as well, but I actually also have another identical series 3 that is fully working, but not subscribed to and could cannibalize/use it for parts (hard drive or power supply).

Seeing as a lot of S3s are dying though, I am debating several options (in poll).

2. jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    I think that most folks are thinking S3 PSs has become the leading contender for reboot loops. I would exchange that with the donor box as a fist step.

3. Wil

Wil Senile Member

Sep 26, 2002
    Other than easily fixable power supplies and hard drives, I don't agree that a lot of S3s are dying.

4. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Do you have a spare (at least temporarily) SATA drive that's at least 160GB?

Put a fresh image on it and see what happens.

If it gets to the second screen I'd say it's not so much the hard drive as the software on the hard drive.

5. buscuitboy

buscuitboy New Member

Aug 8, 2005
    Atlanta area
    I actually have a totally spare 160GB from another identical S3 and was gonna swap it. See what happens and go from there. Even if this is the problem and another drive would fix it, I am wondering if I should even mess with it though as the power supplies in these units seem to be dying as well and it would just be a matter of time before that becomes a problem too.

6. jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    Well, since you have one S3 that has a good drive/PS combination, I think the easiest/safest thing to do would be to test the lifetime drive by putting it into the unit with the good PS (instead of taking a good drive an potentially pairing it with a bad PS).

If it boots up fine, then you know its the PS (in the lifetime box). If it does not boot up, you know the drive is an issue.

Reduces the risk of a PS causing a drive problem...

7. Teeps

Teeps Active Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    Fix the power supply since the hood is already up.

12 bucks worth of capacitors and maybe another 15 for soldering supplies and the PS is back in business.

8. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    I agree. Take the suspect hard drive from the LT Tivo and put it in the known working box.

I would hesitate exchanging the S3 for a Premiere, solely because of the underpowered CPU in the Premiere.